Turbo mustang, injectors wont fire. LED blinks

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Turbo mustang, injectors wont fire. LED blinks

Post by jaycooper »

I have a 1990 mustang with an ms2 v3.0 and the EEC iv direct plug in adaptor. All the leds work properly with the stim and i get injector led flash during cranking. I'll include a log. Any ideas when every thing should be working but don't?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Turbo mustang, injectors wont fire. LED blinks

Post by grom_e30 »

your map sensor appears to be calibrated incorrectly.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

Thanks for the reply! I'll calibrate it and try asap after work.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Was this a running install or new install?

Do you know where the msq came from?

And what firmware is installed?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

This was a running car. I made a couple changes (turbo, 42lb injectors, removed MAF) and have fired it on the factory ecu. Now attempting on the MS. I downloaded a base map from the megasquirt PNP map index as well have the latest firmware version available last week.

I have fire on ether but no fuel injector pulse. I did the fuel injector troubleshoot by jumping the U1 pins 21 and 22 to ground and my LED lights up. I also have a flashing injector LED while cranking. If I disconnect the megasquirt and backprobe the injector pin to ground they click but will not while plugged in.
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

Following the link on Rickb's signature I found and read the manuals finally! I had adopted the MS2 off a friends project that never was completed. He built the unit and so I am trying to get up to speed. It appears that the megasquirt to mustang adaptor harness that was purchased does not have the 5 ground wires installed. I will be cleaning that up after work and hopefully we have found the issue!
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

The harness requires no modifications, the MS2 PCB does.
How to Use the MegaSquirt 5.0 Mustang Adapter Harness
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

Finally got a chance to get back in the garage. I was able to verify all the mods have been done correctly to the board for the adapter harness. (thanks for the link blown88gt) It still will not fire the injectors. I can get it to fire on ether. I can also jumper the injector wire straight to ground and get them to click but the ms2 will not. Is there and auxillary ground that i can put on this thing some where? I get injector output signal in the log files it just isn't actually grounding and firing them.
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

I tried plugging in my MS2 with the daughter board removed in the car. When I ground the U1 socket pin 21 and 22 that should be a direct ground control for the injectors correct? It does not open the injectors even though with using the stim it will light the led. This leads me to believe that the MS2 is missing a ground connection. I'm going to try ordering some connector pins and auxiliary grounding all the ECU pins that the manual says needs grounded. Is there any other way to verify where this problem could be coming from?
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

jaycooper wrote:...
1. When I ground the U1 socket pin 21 and 22 that should be a direct ground control for the injectors correct?
2. It does not open the injectors even though with using the stim it will light the led.
3. This leads me to believe that the MS2 is missing a ground connection. I'm going to try ordering some connector pins and auxiliary grounding all the ECU pins that the manual says needs grounded.
4. Is there any other way to verify where this problem could be coming from?
1. No, indirect control. See p.4 of schematic. PWM0-1 is INJ1 (pin21), PWM1-1 is INJ2 (pin22)
2. U1 & Stim are 5V; Injectors are 12V. LED's draw milliamps, Injectors draw amps.
3. Unlikely.
4. You said "...I had adopted the MS2 off a friends project that never was completed. He built the unit and so I am trying to get up to speed..."
Could be a component installed backwards (maybe D17 & D18). You will have to go through the entire build as if you had a bag of parts.
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

Blown88gt, Thank you again for giving me some guidance. It appears this project got off track early and i just wasn't sure how far back i had to go to get it sorted. I will be doing a step by step with the build manual ASAP and hope to find a conclusive issue.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

jaycooper wrote:I tried plugging in my MS2 with the daughter board removed in the car. When I ground the U1 socket pin 21 and 22 that should be a direct ground control for the injectors correct? It does not open the injectors even though with using the stim it will light the led. This leads me to believe that the MS2 is missing a ground connection. I'm going to try ordering some connector pins and auxiliary grounding all the ECU pins that the manual says needs grounded. Is there any other way to verify where this problem could be coming from?
Pretty certain you need 5v to the injector driver circuit inputs to turn them on - not ground. The drivers themselves ground the injectors.

Did each injector driver LEDs (1&2) on the Stim flash? At low RPM and set to alternating, you should see that sequence.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

DaveEFI wrote:
jaycooper wrote:I tried plugging in my MS2 with the daughter board removed in the car. When I ground the U1 socket pin 21 and 22 that should be a direct ground control for the injectors correct? It does not open the injectors even though with using the stim it will light the led. This leads me to believe that the MS2 is missing a ground connection. I'm going to try ordering some connector pins and auxiliary grounding all the ECU pins that the manual says needs grounded. Is there any other way to verify where this problem could be coming from?
Pretty certain you need 5v to the injector driver circuit inputs to turn them on - not ground. The drivers themselves ground the injectors.

Did each injector driver LEDs (1&2) on the Stim flash? At low RPM and set to alternating, you should see that sequence.
The injector drivers use an inverted input so ground to activate the drivers is ok.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

Yes, both injector LED flash and alternate at lower rpm. The LED on the front of the ecu case flashes as well. I'm just scratching my head because it passes the first test on the injector driver test flow chart. So Ill do the full walk through and hopefully find something conclusive.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Are the injector getting power?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

Well, to catch everyone up....

I went through the entire assemble manual with a fine tooth comb and have no diodes in reverse or any incorrect components. I have now made certain that the firmware has been installed. I went through the entire manual for setup as well. I get everything calibrated and went to start it again. This time I have no spark and no injectors. I tossed the factory ecu back in and it will run. I am already bald so I can pull any hair out. Is there any resources to send this MSII to so it can be verified for function or should I just buy the MSII PNP, or even just switch back to the factory ecu and run with a MAF??
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

jaycooper wrote:...Is there any resources to send this MSII to so it can be verified for function or should I just buy the MSII PNP, or even just switch back to the factory ecu and run with a MAF??
https://www.diyautotune.com/contact-us/
jaycooper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jaycooper »

Thanks you for the link. Every time I feel like I've reached the end of the road the forum has been able to help with some good advice! I'll see if tech support can help me get sorted.