Aging ?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

oskar
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Aging ?

Post by oskar »

Howdy,

I have MS2 running on an MB M110 since about 7 years. Has been fairly stable till now.

Recently I broke down, cause was the MS2 daughterboard not working at all anymore. So, I exchanged it with my spare - also about 7 yrs old.

Last week, I ran into trouble again. Engine would start, run fine and over sudden loose power. This time I was able to log.

It seemed AFR went way up ( 20+) while PWM for the injectors seemed to be as usual. Next day it would not start at all.

Exchange both mother and daughterboard fixed the issue.

Are either mother or daughterboard, or both known to be aging? And then have strange issues?

(Well, to be on the safe side and to have a spare, I just ordered a new kit .. )

Thanks
Oskar
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Aging ?

Post by DaveEFI »

Most likely thing is a dry joint. If changing the daughter board sorted it, but then the fault came back, I'd be looking at the PCB daughter board socket. Did you build the board? Used lead free solder?

You can sometimes see a dry joint with strong light and magnifying glass. But it may be quicker to simply re-solder the area.

Other way is to get the board running on the bench with a stim and connected to TS, and heat it with a hair drier. That will often make the intermittent fault occur, and you should see it on the TS display.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Atl-Wagen
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Atl-Wagen »

oskar, are you still driving your M110? How is it going?
Thinking about fixing to get ready to MS a Mercedes M110.
oskar
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oskar »

Atl-Wagen wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:47 pm oskar, are you still driving your M110? How is it going?
well, after quite a break - 3 years or so, I got my 280GE back on the road. Started out with a broken windshield .. turned into a extensive rust fix and repaint. Then deal with DMV - the car was unregistered for 2 years, so I had to go thru some hoops.
They did not give me a temp permit - smog test first. So no registration and 2 options: trailer the G to smog test or risk it driving there
Anyways, it is running and actually tomorrow I need to work on cold start ( 20 F here ).
Then I can pull the tune

Oskar
Atl-Wagen
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Atl-Wagen »

oskar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:50 pm
Atl-Wagen wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:47 pm oskar, are you still driving your M110? How is it going?
well, after quite a break - 3 years or so, I got my 280GE back on the road. Started out with a broken windshield .. turned into a extensive rust fix and repaint. Then deal with DMV - the car was unregistered for 2 years, so I had to go thru some hoops.
They did not give me a temp permit - smog test first. So no registration and 2 options: trailer the G to smog test or risk it driving there
Anyways, it is running and actually tomorrow I need to work on cold start ( 20 F here ).
Then I can pull the tune

Oskar
Fantastic, and thank you. I'd love to know what components you used, too. Injectors, tooth wheel, etc.
Thinking about fixing to get ready to MS a Mercedes M110.