99 Miata crankshaft sensor on Microsquirt V3

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JeremyS
MS/Extra Newbie

99 Miata crankshaft sensor on Microsquirt V3

Post by JeremyS »

I am in the process of installing a Microsquirt V3 w/3.4.2 into a car with a ’99 miata motor. I’m hoping that someone can provide a definitive answer on wiring up the stock 99-05 miata crankshaft position sensor. There seems to be a great deal of obsolete and/or confusing information on the web about how to go about this. The ‘Miata 99-05’ section in the latest version of the Microsquirt Hardware manual says to refer to section 5.2.2, which is the VR sensor section and doesn’t seem to apply. The crank sensor has power, ground, and signal wires, and all of the information that I’ve found states that the 99-05 miata crank sensor is in fact some variant of open collector.

I don’t know if it matters, but I’m using the Flyin Miata 36-2 wheel, and I’m not running a camshaft sensor of any kind.

-Jeremy
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 99 Miata crankshaft sensor on Microsquirt V3

Post by prof315 »

The CKP is open collector hall effect. Because you are using the 36-2 wheel I would wire the the signal wire to VR+ with a pull up. Use toothed wheel not Miata 99-05 and not Miata 36-2
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
JeremyS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JeremyS »

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, what's the reason for VR+ as opposed to VR-?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Your sensor with a pull up resistor only operates in the 0 to +V range, if you have no negative (sub 0) voltages then using VR- doesn't make sense. A VR sensor on the other hand outputs a sine like wave with positive and negative excursions.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

For historical reasons the external connection called "VR-" is connected to the IN+ pin of the MAX9926 chip.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
JeremyS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JeremyS »

jsmcortina wrote:For historical reasons the external connection called "VR-" is connected to the IN+ pin of the MAX9926 chip.
That helps to clear up my confusion. The Microsquirt hardware manual shows the hall effect sensor with pull up connected to VR-, which seemed counter-intuitive until your explanation.
It looks like I just need to connect the signal wire to the input labeled VR1- with a 5v 1k pull up.

Thanks all