No spark ms2v3.57

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No spark ms2v3.57

Post by Baggedgoods »

Hey guys, I had the car running and driving pretty decent. Late Sunday night, while out tuning, the car suddenly died under normal acceleration. Cranks but does not start and
I'm getting a tach reading in TunerStudios.

I checked my datalog and looked at the area it died. Everything looks fine up except for my afrs jumping from 14.4:1 to 19.0:1. Duty cycle and PW jumped a couple ms as well. I first thought they jumped because the car died and my wideband lost power. That would have been the case if they dropped to 10:1. I'd post up my datalog but it's about 4 hours long because I'm an idiot and didn't the logging off while I wasn't driving the car. Plus I'm on mobile at the moment.

Mind you, I was adjusting the fuel and ignition tables only, nothing else.

I've confirmed that I'm not getting spark and as for fuel I'm not 100% but I smell a strong gas smell when I crank it. I've replaced the coil and plug wires and rewired the coil wires with fresh ones. I've confirmed 12v at the coil but still no spark. This is leading me to the megasquirt itself. I soldered in a bip373 into q16 and have js10 controlling spark. To my understanding, these transistors are bulletproof and I'd fry my coil before I'd fry this transistor.

What could be causing my no spark issue? Could the transistor have gone bad? I've triple checked all my wires and grounds.

I'm running the MS2 V3.57 with the 3.4.2 firmware and the bip373 mod.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Edit: will post up tune later, but I don't think that is the problem here. Also, the car is a 1985 Nissan 300zx turbo.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No spark ms2v3.57

Post by rickb794 »

:msq:
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Why would the tune pertain to anything? The tune is not the problem. I've explained what happened with the datalog and It happens to be 4-5 hours long.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

What do you have jumpered to Igtbin?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Js10 to igntin
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Bump?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

:msq:

does the coil work in test mode

what setting do you have for 'spark output'??
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

I haven't tested the coil using test mode. I replaced my coil because I tested it by manually grounding it and it didnt spark. I haven't tested the new coil yet, but the resistance of the 2 coil windings are within specs. I get an rpm reading in TunerStudios as well as a trigger and composite log. So that seems to rule out the CAS and trigger wheel.

I have js10 as my spark output. Like I said, I had the car running and driving very well, with only a bit of fine tuning to do to the tables. As I stated above, the datalog is very long and the only thing that looked wrong was the afrs jumping suddenly when it died. That originally lead me to believe that a bank of injectors cut out, or all of them. But while I was cranking, I got a strong gas smell so they must be working. (Not 100% if I have any bad injectors but I did ohm test them and they all checked the same.) Although, while i was cranking, even if a couple injectors cut out, you would think the car would atleast hiccup a few times and try to start. But with that not even happening, I obviously wasn't getting spark.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

spark output???? going high or going low?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Oh whoops haha. It's set to going high.

Falling edge
Going high
JS10
Single coil

I'm using the diy drop in 12-1 distributor trigger wheel set to crank speed
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

Ok going high is correct I'd use test mode to check the cool and injectors work
Baggedgoods
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Baggedgoods »

Here is my tune as well as a datalog of me cranking it.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

tune and log looks normal. def time to check the hardware out.