Launch Control Issues

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Launch Control Issues

Post by roflcopter »

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with launch control that I can't figure out... I had everything working on MS1 with the v3 board, including launch control, but when I made the switch to MS2(along with the changes needed for my setup) the only thing that didn't work afterwards was the launch control.

Originally I set it up on JS11 on MS1 and did not move it since JS11 should also be able to be used for that with MS2. After pulling the box open and poking around with the multimeter I was able to deduce that the transistor had somehow quit functioning. I rebuilt the circuit, testing all components as I went with a 2N3904BU I had laying around(no 2N2222A's here right now) since the collector current difference shouldn't matter with this circuit. After rebuilding this I can probe the JS11 pin pad on the board and watch it go from ~4.4V not triggered and drops to .1V or so when triggered, but still no luck getting MS to see it. I then switched to using JS10 to see if maybe it was an issue with the processor and am having exactly the same results.

Any ideas on this one? I have attached my .msq.

My only thoughts are if somehow the signal isn't getting from the pad to the ECU somehow(highly unlikely) or it has to be something in the code not playing nicely.

Thanks in advance,

rofl
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Launch Control Issues

Post by dontz125 »

If you're bench testing this, you need to provide an RPM signal and - in your case, with your settings - a TPS signal over 10%.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

I am not bench testing it, it is in the car. In MS1 the dashboard indicator in TunerStudio would light up even if the car was not running when the conditions were met, in MS2 did they change that where the car has to be running for the launch indicator to light up?

Either way it was not working, although after playing with that circuit I have created larger issues it seems...

Now the MS unit is reporting 0.2V Battery Voltage and only seeing roughly a 5kPa drop while cranking and will not start. I'm going to start troubleshooting the board this evening. One other symptom I found is that now if I probe the proto area 5V and GND I only get 500ohm resistance between them, which I think that should be much much more... Could that be an issue on the board somewhere or in the processor more likely?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

roflcopter wrote: One other symptom I found is that now if I probe the proto area 5V and GND I only get 500ohm resistance between them, which I think that should be much much more... Could that be an issue on the board somewhere or in the processor more likely?
Measuring resistance there won't tell you much. Measure voltage.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

jsmcortina wrote: Measuring resistance there won't tell you much. Measure voltage.

James
Thanks for the tip, getting 5V from proto 5V to GND, so that resistance shouldn't be an issue. I also poked around the voltage input circuit and I am NOT getting 12V at either leg of R3, I am getting 5V at both legs of R3, as well as both legs of R6, which leads me to think there is a short somewhere else. Btw, I am doing this testing with the MS2 card out of the socket so I believe the issue is on the board and not the CPU.

Disregard the parts of this post in red
, I'm an idiot sometimes, that is not the case and I was looking at the incorrect resistors, I am seeing 0V, 1.9V, 1.9V, and 12V at each leg of R3 and R6 respectively. So that does not seem to be the issue... even with the ECU powered on(and it is powering on because fuel pumps prime and I can communicate with it and see sensor changes in TS) the battery voltage appears to be 0V when read through TS. About to test this on the bench as well, will post results.
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

Alright, upon further testing I was able to power the board on the bench through pins 28 and 19 and hook that to the laptop and got 12V on the nose, put it in the car and am seeing ~0.4V when the batter is sitting slightly over 12V, still getting the fuel pump priming and all so it is getting the power it should, at least enough to boot. Any ideas?

This makes me think that having the whole wiring harness connected is the only way the issue shows up, is there anything else that could possible be pulling AD4-1 to ground and causing the issue? What are the chances something got messed up internally on the MS2 card and I'm chasing my tail trying to find an issue in the v3 motherboard or harness?
roflcopter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by roflcopter »

Welllll CRAP.

It appears I managed to solder in the 2N3904BU backwards when I first swapped it out... would having the emitter and collector pins of the transistor swapped cause damage to the cpu?