What's the secret for making fuel pump relay work circuit?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Henry
Helpful MS/Extra'er

What's the secret for making fuel pump relay work circuit?

Post by Henry »

We have our MS2 wired according to the documentation to control a relay for the fuel pump. There is 12+ where it needs to be and the relay energizes with a power probe. The fuel pump runs if we bypass the relay.

However, we can't seem to get the MS2 to drop the relay to ground. Is there a setting in the software that turns the relay control off and on?
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: What's the secret for making fuel pump relay work circui

Post by hybrid »

In TunerStudio, you can go into the output test mode (under advanced button) and manually switch the fuel pump on and off.
But the fuel pump should always prime when you first turn the ignition on.

If it's not doing that, something is wrong.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

You should get a priming pulse when the MS is first turned on. Then the pump will come on after the MS sees rpm (gets sync).

If you are not getting a priming pulse the MS might not be turning on. If something pulls down the 5vref it will not turn on.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Henry
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Henry »

If we jump the fuel pump relay, the car runs just fine, so the ms2 is working. It looks like there is something going on so that the ms isn't pulling the relay to ground. Where should I start looking?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Henry wrote:If we jump the fuel pump relay, the car runs just fine, so the ms2 is working. It looks like there is something going on so that the ms isn't pulling the relay to ground. Where should I start looking?
As mentioned above, I would start by using the output test mode........

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

To test the hardware side, carefully remove the daughter card and put to one side. Run a temporary wire between pins 31&33 on the socket. This feeds 5v to the pump driver circuit input. Power up MS, and the pump relay should make all the time MS is powered.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Henry
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Henry »

I did the 'fuel pump on' thing with no results. I'll do the jump pin 31/33 thing next. Is enabling this circuit something that was an option in the initial build process? If so, we might have not gone that route at that time.
cmonref
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by cmonref »

Henry: if this is the 91 Honda CRX, I can't help you. If it is a Porsche, the fuel pump relay has two stages and requires a little magic with MS circuitry.
Brian
MS3-3X v1.3.0; TS Ultra 3.0.28; 911SC 3.0L; 3.2 intake; 2 Spartan O2 sensors; LS-2 coils; 60-2 geartooth and hall; dizzy hall
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Henry wrote:I did the 'fuel pump on' thing with no results. I'll do the jump pin 31/33 thing next. Is enabling this circuit something that was an option in the initial build process? If so, we might have not gone that route at that time.
There is nothing to "enable" for the fuel pump to work. It's an integral part of the ECU and should work no matter what.
Do the tests that have been suggested. If you can get the pump to work by jumpering the pins, then there could be an issue with the daughtercard.
If it doesn't work by jumpering those pins then you have some other hardware or wiring issue.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

cmonref brings up a good point, it may be an external problem. We all assume it is a MS thing and you have tested the external part.

Grounding pin 37 of the DB37 with the key on should activate the fuel pump relay.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Only a straw poll given my limited experience, but a blown ZTX450 (pump relay driver) is the most common fault I've fixed on V3 boards. And I can't hazard a guess as to why.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.