EJ20G Basics

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ajj686
MS/Extra Newbie

EJ20G Basics

Post by ajj686 »

Hello all,

I currently have a 2000 2.5rs which I have swapped in an EJ20G Version 2 motor. I have the motor, engine harness, and intercooler as well as all of the stock 2.5rs parts (if needed). I would like to use Microsquirt to run the motor. Ultimately, I am going with Microsquirt to have tune-ability and avoid spending $1,200 on a rare EJ20G bulkhead harness. I am a novice, but a quick learner. I have received the list of necessary parts below. I will continue to do my research, but any help is greatly appreciated!!

A few quick questions:

1) I have all of the ignition setup that comes mounted on the motor. I believe that this motor uses a COP setup with an ignitor mounted in the engine bay....I do not have said ignitor. Is it best to convert to a newer WRX coil setup or track down an ignitor?

2) Will I need to purchase new sensors or can I use the stock Subaru sensor for the IAT and CLTIAT(with the exception on the MAP sensor and wideband)

The List
$339.00 MicroSqrt3: Assembled ECU (includes short harness & tuning cable)
$64.00 GM3bar-map: MAP sensor
$11.50 GM3bar_piggy: Pigtail connector for MAP sensor
$17.75 CLTIATwPiggy: Coolant / Oil temperature sensor
$22.25 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
$9.00 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: EJ20G Basics

Post by grom_e30 »

you can use the stock clt and iat if you can find out the calibration data for them, or you can measure this with a ohm meter and a thermometer.

the microsquirt can only control logic level coils so you would need an external igniter or a smart coil that takes a 5v signal to fire it.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ajj686
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ajj686 »

Great and what will control my oil pressure sending unit? I apologize if these are basuc questions.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

MS does not need oil pressure info.

Or are you talking VVT?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
ajj686
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ajj686 »

The Ej20G has an oil pressure sending unit, but because the megasquirt doesn't need it I dont have to worry about that correct?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Not for the MS. You probably should have something for the driver
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Sublimejoe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Sublimejoe »

First time poster. Joined to look for more reasons that I should go microsquirt on my ej20k.

How are you doing on this?