New user, Firmware, and Basic setup questions?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New user, Firmware, and Basic setup questions?

Post by Blown88GT »

Unplugging SPOUT removes control from any ECU & locks timing to distributor position. If unplugged, you can only use timing light to set base timing.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/megasqu ... t-out.html

Your distributor is probably stabbed off a tooth.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Blown88GT wrote:Unplugging SPOUT removes control from any ECU & locks timing to distributor position.
Agreed with "Push-start" (PS) TFI. I'm fairly confident that this engine will have one of those on it.

Some docs I have make reference to a "Computer controlled dwell" (CCD) module, do these actually exist and what on?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Irrelevant of the spout, you can set the timing by using "fixed" and 15° in TS. You will have to verify distributor phasing first though to ensure you don't get spark scatter. With the balancer mark at 25° BTDC the rotor should be centered on the cap post.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

jsmcortina wrote:
Blown88GT wrote:Unplugging SPOUT removes control from any ECU & locks timing to distributor position.
Agreed with "Push-start" (PS) TFI. I'm fairly confident that this engine will have one of those on it.

Some docs I have make reference to a "Computer controlled dwell" (CCD) module, do these actually exist and what on?

James
Yes.
http://www.myo-p.com/Ford-EEC/EEC%20Hel ... black.html
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
hookedonford
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hookedonford »

Update

I have a gray Push-start" (PS) TFI module. I put in new plugs, MSD super conductor wires, and Mallory Cap and Rotor. My Mallory aftermarket distributor does not have a way to adjust phasing on the rotor, the distributor has to be pulled and re-stabbed. Checked timing, changed to fixed, adjusted trigger wizard advanced timing to the displayed setting. I am thinking if it displays advanced timing it means BTDC, yes?

The starts okay, starts better once warm. The idle rpm is varying +-40 (about 80 rpm full swing) and it runs okay. I drove the car, it is still off, but I think it is a starting point.

MSQ file attached
2017-08-27_14.22.27.msq
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

None of the factory or after market distributors have a way to adjust phasing on the rotor. If too far off, you re-stab.
Where did you come up with 10.10 for an offset angle? Just make it 10.0
Try turning Idle Advance Settings ON.
Still don't know whether this engine is NA or boosted.
<<I am thinking if it displays advanced timing it means BTDC, yes?>> YES
<<I drove the car, it is still off,>> Don't know what this means, i.e. what is off?
<<The idle rpm is varying +-40 (about 80 rpm full swing)>> What's wrong with that?
Still not working with the Spout out could be the Mallory distributor. No problems with the OEM Ford or MSD Pro Billet.
I can't even find a Mallory distributor for a Ford big block that uses a TFI. Is this some kind of conversion kit?

Over the past month, you have not made any of the suggested changes.
Blown88GT wrote: There is a problem with your AFR Table, it goes to 200 kPa which indicates a boosted engine. Your other tables go to 100 kPa (which is naturally aspirated).
The TS Full Version has an AFR Table Generator & a VE Table Generator; you input the engine characteristics, i.e. type, HP, torque.
You probably want to adjust the ASE values as per the Tool Tip: Immediately after the engine has started it is normal to need additional fuel. This curve specifies how much as a percentage adder. (5-50%). Yours is 25-45%.

Eventually, you'll want to enter the true Injector dead-time/PWM. The default is not far off, I used it for a long time until we recently developed the following.
I put the info in this thread: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=66558
hookedonford
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hookedonford »

None of the factory or after market distributors have a way to adjust phasing on the rotor. If too far off, you re-stab.
--Was not sure if MSD offered one on the Ford side, I know they do on the Chevy side.
Where did you come up with 10.10 for an offset angle? Just make it 10.0
--I will change that
--I will change it once I find it
Still don't know whether this engine is NA or boosted.
-- It is NA
<<I am thinking if it displays advanced timing it means BTDC, yes?>> YES
--Thanks
<<I drove the car, it is still off,>> Don't know what this means, i.e. what is off?
When I accelerate it very sensitive in 1st and 2nd, then sometimes it bogs on acceleration in the higher gears, mainly not tuned yet. I previously was running a Pro-m Mass Flo EFI, it worked pretty well.
<<The idle rpm is varying +-40 (about 80 rpm full swing)>> What's wrong with that?
--Not used to seeing the variation
Still not working with the Spout out could be the Mallory distributor. No problems with the OEM Ford or MSD Pro Billet.
-- I totally disassembled the 7968704 Mallory distributor and installed a OEM Ford PIP sensor, not much else to fail in there. I don't have have OEM FORD or MSD Pro Billet distributor.
I can't even find a Mallory distributor for a Ford big block that uses a TFI. Is this some kind of conversion kit?
--It is 427W Dart, so small block 351 based distributor.

Over the past month, you have not made any of the suggested changes.

--Today was first day I got the car back to together. Mainly trying to get the ignition system healthy. It is strange on spout, some the posts say I should not be setting timing by the spout at all. I
--did not find anything about using the spout in the manual for MSPnp2 for 86-93 mustang documentation and DIYautotune did not reply. Honestly, I have been kind of frustrated with this and
--tearing into the ignition system. That was the reason I put my EEC-IV with chip back in and the car cranks and runs with or without the spout, so the Mallory distributor is working. I read that --other MS versions install resistors and change wiring on the board for the spout to work, which is no problem, but I need to know what to modify on the MSPNP2 to make the spout work.

Blown88GT wrote:
There is a problem with your AFR Table, it goes to 200 kPa which indicates a boosted engine. Your other tables go to 100 kPa (which is naturally aspirated).
The TS Full Version has an AFR Table Generator & a VE Table Generator; you input the engine characteristics, i.e. type, HP, torque.
You probably want to adjust the ASE values as per the Tool Tip: Immediately after the engine has started it is normal to need additional fuel. This curve specifies how much as a percentage adder. (5-50%). Yours is 25-45%.

-- I probably bumped that change in the table on accident and I don't know how to correct or make the changes yet.

Eventually, you'll want to enter the true Injector dead-time/PWM. The default is not far off, I used it for a long time until we recently developed the following.
I put the info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=134&t=66558
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

-- I totally disassembled the 7968704 Mallory distributor and installed a OEM Ford PIP sensor, not much else to fail in there.
The harness is likely the issue. It's very sensitive to shielding & grounding. I tried remote mounting the TFI, even with proper Mil-Spec shielding, it refused to work with MS when it did work with EEC-IV. I ran all kinds of tests with various cabling & shielding schemes & never could zero in on the root cause. Finally gave up.
--other MS versions install resistors and change wiring on the board for the spout to work, which is no problem, but I need to know what to modify on the MSPNP2 to make the spout work.
That's news to me.

-- When I accelerate it very sensitive in 1st and 2nd, then sometimes it bogs on acceleration in the higher gears, mainly not tuned yet. I previously was running a Pro-m Mass Flo EFI, it worked pretty well.
You can still use it, if you wish. I use my MAF for fuel (VE Table) & MAP for Ignition Table.
You just need the calibration curve for your MAF which I'm sure is available from Pro-M.
The VE Table is only used for trimming idle, not tuning. I found it ran a lot better with the MAF.
It could fix this issue for you.

Re-Bin the AFR Table for 100. AFT Table 1---Tools---AFR Table Generator

--I will change it once I find it. Under Startup/Idle.