Best way to "splice" a wires to many - Y? Crimp? Solder?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

turbogrill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Best way to "splice" a wires to many - Y? Crimp? Solder?

Post by turbogrill »

Hi,

I need to splice/branch the single signal ground into multiple grounds for all the sensors.

I have the diyautotune harness. What is the preferred way?

Seems like there is a few options:

1. Y or X connector?

2. Crimp and twist
22.PNG
3. Bolt and ring connectors

4. Solder

What is your favorite?
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Best way to "splice" a wires to many - Y? Crimp? Solder?

Post by Raymond_B »

A small bus bar, here's an example

https://www.bluesea.com/products/2300/C ... with_Cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

#4 solder with shrink wrap or tape is the best method by far for many reasons.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Ditto.
rickb794 wrote:#4 solder with shrink wrap or tape is the best method by far for many reasons.
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I like the idea of using a busbar as shown above. Its is what industry would use for larger electrical loads. Wish I did this way rather than terminating multiple connections onto a convienient bolt near the MS controller.

Another similar way is to use an electrical 'chocolate block' that has links between terminals and has screw connections for wire input. This saves terminating each wire with a grommet or boot lace feral which can often be the cause of a problem.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

rickb794 wrote:#4 solder with shrink wrap or tape is the best method by far for many reasons.
Yup. What I do is get a suitable sized crimp connector - those red blue and yellow types, which are for different size wires, and remove the insulation. Crimp, then fill the crimp with solder. Then insulate with heatshrink. Crimping on its own is good provided you use the correct sized crimp and crimp tool - which is impossible with a 1 to 4 or whatever joint. To solder this sort of joint. you may well need a more powerful soldering iron than an electronics type.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Solder has not been used in automotive or avionics wiring in >40 years for very, very good reason.
Solder splices cause warranty repairs in cars, or aircraft falling out of the sky, which is usually strongly discouraged if they are yours.

Crimp it properly, with good strain relief like the hot-melt glue heat shrink splices shown or just the marine heat shrink with hot glue liner, and move on.

Solder is OK for temporary field repair if you don't have the correct tools/splices handy but should be cut out and replaced with crimps ASAP.

Also a clean, dry electrical plug contact is a high failure rate contact. if exposed to air, humidity an'd or vibration:
http://www.corrosion-protect.com/resour ... Dobson.pdf
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67 ... 800972.pdf (270 pages long)

Simple graphic for management:
https://www.nyelubricants.com/stuff/con ... _final.pdf

I suggest regular use of https://pilotshq.com/zip-chem-cor-ban-5 ... 14769.html particularly on the DB plugs, or any time you have a plug off.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Err, I have a car rather younger than 40 years old which has solder joints inside the harness. In places where one wire is joined to several. A brass crimp is used to hold the wires together before soldering. Soldering a single wire to a tag etc can be a problem as the process weakens the wire slightly, so more likely to fracture with vibration. But as part of fixed harness in a car, there won't be any vibration. However, any terminals should be crimped using the correct tool, as by nature any connector is likely to be subject to at least some movement.

On the above car(s) electrical problems are quite likely with connectors. Same as with all old wiring. But yet to see one where those soldered joints have failed.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

DaveEFI wrote:Err, I have a car rather younger than 40 years old which has solder joints inside the harness. In places where one wire is joined to several. A brass crimp is used to hold the wires together before soldering. Soldering a single wire to a tag etc can be a problem as the process weakens the wire slightly, so more likely to fracture with vibration. But as part of fixed harness in a car, there won't be any vibration. However, any terminals should be crimped using the correct tool, as by nature any connector is likely to be subject to at least some movement.

On the above car(s) electrical problems are quite likely with connectors. Same as with all old wiring. But yet to see one where those soldered joints have failed.
Exactly.

People keep regurgitating this worn out rhetoric of "It's been xx number of years since automobile manufacturers have used solder" as some sort of justification for not soldering. I've seen soldered connections in OEM harnesses, in recent years, they also use sonic welding or splice connections, in some cases, so sonic welding should be the go to, if you're going to cite what the OEM does, no?

You want to know why most manufactures that do use crimping methods use them? It saves time, which saves money, period. Crimped connections can be repeated quickly and easily to a high degree of quality, and that's the long and short of it. Crimping is NOT a superior electrical connection or less prone to failure than soldered connections, period. Typically (properly) crimped connections will last longer than a warranty period and that's about all they care about anymore.

There's a lot of myths floating around about soldered connections being brittle, or causing the wire to fail where the solder joint ends. I've been working with automotive electrical for 30 years or so and have NEVER seen anything that could back up these claims, for a soldered joint to failed where a crimped one wouldn't. I've had to dig deep into many harnesses, both OEM and aftermarket, either for finding a problem or modifying/splicing into an existing circuit. Any failures of connections I've seen would have failed using either connection method, because most of those failures were caused by corrosion (where a crimped connection likely would have failed sooner than a soldered connection) or by some physical interaction with something else, driveshaft, axle, steering shaft, engine pulleys, axe, vehicle hitting a wall or other vehicles, etc. I have yet to find an unsupported soldered connection fail, and I've come across a few just hanging out in the breeze, though I don't condone this lack of wire support, more on that later.

I've had to fix many crimped connections though done by amateurs, because they used cheap crimpers and didn't understand how to make a proper crimp, which brings me to the next point. When someone suggests crimping, it should be IMMEDIATELY followed up with "Using a proper crimping tool, for the wire size and type of connection being used". No, those $2 crimpers you got at the convenience store will not give you a proper crimp. I have several different types of crimping tools, some costing a few hundred dollars to be able to have a proper and strong crimp for the times when I need to use just a crimp, such as some terminals that don't allow the connection to be sealed with solder. Yes, I like to solder crimped terminals where I can to provide a seal against moisture, especially under hood connections or where moisture is likely.

ANY connection, soldered or crimped should be supported, so this claim about unsupported soldered connections failing is just a red herring. Bundling wires together into a harness will ensure that the harness supports itself, regardless of which type of connection method you choose. Tying a harness to solid structures (usually inside loom) is a great way to support wires to ensure that there are no failures from movement, however, a harness should have SOME slack in it for chassis movement and twisting, temperature changes and in extreme cases where the power being conducted will actually cause the wire to move, which is not typical in an automotive environment though.

Proper solder techniques do take practice and unfortunately I've met some people that no matter how much practice they had, they should just never pick up a soldering iron/gun. There are tutorials on how to make good string connections using solder and what types of solder to use for what applications.

But I digress...

When it comes to splicing multiple wires together, it depends on a few things, like the actual application of those circuits, how many wires need to be spliced, where they will be physically running between available space how much current will actually be conducted on them.

In the case of sensor grounds, the current is typically very low, and the wires will run relatively between the same two points, ECU and engine. In this case I will typically run one main sensor ground out to one of the sensors and then tap into the wire by striping a little bit of the insulation off and wraping the additional circuit around (sometimes I will poke the new wire through first) and then soldering it. If I planned it right I will have some heat shrink on the connection as well, otherwise high quality electrical tape over the splice wrapped tightly (typically I use the tape on add ins and reworks, not new harnesses). Sometimes I will bundle 3 or 4 wires together coming from sensors and then connect these into a single wire to go back to the ECU. It kinda depends on how the harness is being laid out and space available along with where the sensors are relative to each other. In a recent harness I made for my T-Bucket, I had a few sensors that went into separate sub harnesses, and went back to a large feed through connector in the floor. I spliced the sensor grounds together several inches away from this main feed through to bring it down to 1 wire and then ran that single wire on the other side of the harness back to the ECU. I have 13 grounds running through that main connector even with the sensor ground splicing! :shock:

I have in one case where the harness path was tight and needed to lay a certain way spliced in several sensor grounds splicing in each one every couple inches apart nearer the ECU. It was time consuming to do it this way, but it was the best approach at the time.

For the main grounds where they are connected to the ground point (battery or engine block, depending on who you listen to or prefer here), I will typically brong all of the grounds together into a single ring terminal, in the case f 10 of those 13 grounds I used an 8 AWG ring terminal for ten 18 gauge grounds, stripped them all long, and crimped them in the ring terminal. After crimping using a razor cut the excess wire off that is above the ring and then solder the end to cap it and provide another bond. Finish with heatshinking the wires and terminal for additional moisture resistance and strain relief. I'm attaching a couple pictures of this connection specifically.

In other cases where grounds are split to many different locations or for higher current circuits I do use buss bars/distro blocks, but these are typically not EFI related circuits.

I'm not a fan of those Y or X crimp connections because they take up a lot of space for something that doesn't need to, and again I prefer soldering connections... ;)
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Cheap crimpers should probably be banned as a safety hazard.... and some people can probably break a bowling ball, in a sandbox, with their bare hands.

There are certain splices, ground or power distribution points inline that would be difficult>impossible to do with a crimp.
They are an exception--- Even NASA allows it, and even soldered splices--- but with very specific safeguards that ~no newbie installing his first ECU is even going to understand.

If you doubt solder embrittles wire, solder something up and bend the wire until it snaps off... it wont take very long.
Make a proper crimp on the same wire without solder and do the same... pack a lunch tho, it might take awhile, and it won't be failing in the crimp. Unrealistic? Its in a car. Vibration happens.

I'm sure you aren't going to argue the dissimilar metals corrosion aspect of soldering in anything exposed to the environment.

The hot melt glue lined heat shrink does wonders for either method, both as environmental protection and strain relief.
(Harbor Freight even sells it as "marine" heat shrink. ...Also sells Adel clamps.)

There is seldom a reason not to use a heat shrink/sealable crimp in any MS install or almost anything on a car for that matter. You can even get decent ratcheting/adjustable crimpers for a reasonable price these days.

Properly lubing/protecting inside all pluggable connectors does wonders for their long term performance as well.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/CRX%20Ignition.jpg

One 1/2 is dirty ground, high power coils, injectors...

The other 1/2 is sensor ground, TPS, wideband, GPS, temp sensors, Hall sensors...

Andy
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

For those looking for a small water-tight solution, the MP280 3-fuse holder can also accept a bus bar.
6pmetri280.jpg
mp280-busbar.JPG
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

whittlebeast wrote:http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/CRX%20Ignition.jpg

One 1/2 is dirty ground, high power coils, injectors...

The other 1/2 is sensor ground, TPS, wideband, GPS, temp sensors, Hall sensors...

Andy
IMHO the only reason to use a connector block etc is if you may need to dismantle things at a later date. And this doesn't really apply to splitting one ground wire into several.
As I said I'm very familiar with one make of old car that uses the crimp and solder method I described for joints within the loom. And have yet to hear of any of those failing let alone it being common - in over 30 years since manufacture. Connector problems, on the other had, are very common. Including corrosion where the terminal within those are crimped.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I am sticking with my solder and shrink or tape. Even though I agree there is a stress riser where the wire exits the solid solder.

The shrink or tape stabilizes the wires next to the joint which prevents/limits bending next to the joint.

Also splices/joints should be staggered not all lumped together to limit pinching effects.

Very important joints should never be located in a "hinge", only where wires are secured to prevent wire movement near the joint.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
gjestico
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gjestico »

Having taken apart and hacked a number of factory GM LS engine style harnesses, from as recent as 2007 trucks, I can tell you they still use solder joints in the harness, typically where sensor or power grounds bunch together. They don't seem to spare the solder either. Then they wrap them with something that looks a lot like duct tape.
67 Chevelle, LSX V8 engine, EFI., cuppa 80's TPI projects....I like wires.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

You could strip and twist the wires together - but only solder the very end if this. Leaving a fair bit of twisted wire to take up any movement. But inside a loom movement simply won't be a problem.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Buelliholic
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Buelliholic »

dontz125 wrote:For those looking for a small water-tight solution, the MP280 3-fuse holder can also accept a bus bar.
6pmetri280.jpg
mp280-busbar.JPG
This is great - flexible - no soldering, also need for 5V splits etc. - my vote ++1
Diyautotune or any reseller in europe?
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

I was looking at some connectors and ran across these. I immediately remembered this discussion :)

https://www.cableorganizer.com/hydralin ... onnectors/
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

^^ that's much like they use in the telecumunication industry for water proof joins. I've used them on small wires but not larger multiple joins.
I still like the idea of a common rail bus especially for ground wires. These will accommodate a wide variety of wire gauges.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water