ms2 v3 - help repairing r38 connection..

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

smallspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

ms2 v3 - help repairing r38 connection..

Post by smallspeed »

I've done something dumb - I'm repurposing a board and was modifying it for a pwm idle and desoldered R37 and R38 to link them out as instructed. I've since found I could have left them in place which is annoying!
Anyway, R38 came off along with the solder pad for its right hand connection (round pad) and im concerned the board may now be scrap.. I can't find reference anywhere to where this pad connects to and wondered if anyone can help? I assume R38 is required but could I link the remaining square (left) pad out somewhere else to salvage this?
Hope someone can help
Ben
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: ms2 v3 - help repairing r38 connection..

Post by old guy »

If you go to the manuals linked at the top of the forum, you can find the schematic that refers to your board. Might be able to fix it with a simple jumper wire.
smallspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smallspeed »

Thanks old guy, ill get one of our sparkies to have a look tomorrow (I'm more mech than elec..)
Whereabouts are you in NC? I travel there quite regularly with work, mostly Cary..
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

R37 is part of the injector drivers. Did you mean R19?
R38 has one side connected to ground - the other to base Q20/emitter Q4
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
smallspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smallspeed »

R38 is the one that I damaged, R37 (the other big resistor on the heat-sink) was the other that needed looping out with a solid link according to the instructions..
Can't tell from the schematic (I can't anyway :) ) which end relates to the square solder pad and which the round, so will do a continuity check tonight to figure out which is which.. hopeful I can salvage the board still! Would be good if its a case of bridging the remaining solder pad and a.n.other location on the board to get it back up and running :shock:
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Ah - sorry. Was thinking of the more usual way of fitting the PWM driver where the single ignition one (Q16) goes. Which instructions said to remove R37 and R38 for PWM idle?

However, the round pad on these goes to ground. If you flow enough solder on your jumper so it goes through the board, you might be lucky and pick up the ground plane.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
smallspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smallspeed »

Thanks for the reply Dave
The round pad is the one that's missing, so I guess I can just link the square pad to ground? Is there a convenient position to do this near R38 or should I wire it straight to one of the ground pins on the db37?
I will follow the instructions in the msextra manual and do this mod the normal way I think as the instructions I found initially (via e30zone i think) seem a bit different..
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Have the round pads broken off on both sides of the PCB?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
smallspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smallspeed »

Yes unfortunately.. I think I was either a bit hamfisted removing r38 (unnecessarily) or a little reluctant with the soldering iron (or more likely some of each) and so don't really have anything to pick up on
I've reverted the rest of the modification to the ms2 extra manual write up so should be set once I a) find a mica insulator (must have one somewhere!) and b) connect up that r38 pin to ground
smallspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smallspeed »

Possibly ANOTHER dumb question.. Can I use one of the GND pads on the proto area to connect this resistor to ground?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Connect it to the same pin on R37. That's another power ground.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
smallspeed
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by smallspeed »

Perfect! Thank you sir!