Timing drift

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Marissp
MS/Extra Newbie

Timing drift

Post by Marissp »

Hello, i got problems with drifting ignition.
Engine Mercedes m102, ms2 via stock dizzy, vr as input. When i set fixed angle to 10 degree, with strobe light it is at idle correct, when i rev it up tp 2000 rpm it drifts on advanced side for about 10 degree, as higer revs i got higer drift. Stock mercedes coil, dwell 3ms, locked distributor. dwell changes does nothing, spark duration the same. attached msq, tooth logger and log.
Last edited by Marissp on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Timing drift

Post by rickb794 »

Maybe switch ignition capture to rising edge and retime? (Also verify rotor phasing)

I read somewhere that the falling edge can be lazy.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Flip the + and - on the VR.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Marissp
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Marissp »

I tried rising edge but car does not start. If i try rising edge will that is the same as change polarity to vr sensor?
Rotor phasing is like in manual 25 degree btdc, trigger angle about 60 degree. Ok i will try to change polarity. Bouth vr pots is fully counter clockwise. Adjusting pots just make a bigger drift.
Marissp
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Marissp »

Tried to change polarity, still happening the same timing drift, adjusting pots make timing drift worse. Is anything i can do without oscilloscope?
I use LM2904 in vr circuit.
Marissp
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Marissp »

Ok so i cant find the cause of problem so switched to 36-1 trigger wheel and bmw vr sensor, now everything is ok.