MS1Extra (EDIS) to MS2Extra (EDIS)

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS1Extra (EDIS) to MS2Extra (EDIS)

Post by woznaldo »

Hi All, I just switched over to MS2Extra on my V2.2 board and had been running MS1Extra and EDIS. I would like to, for the immediate future at least, implement EDIS to get up and running again while I source components for an ignition system with a bit more 'tunability'. The questions I have are:

Mod 1. On my MS1Extra EDIS setup I have 750K resistor between the negative leg of LED17 and R? and a jumoer between the negative leg of LED17 and X11, plus other small mods.

Mod 2. In the MS2Extra EDIS manual it states that you jumper from pin 5JP1 to X11, plus the same other small mods.

Can I stick with Mod 1 now I'm running MS2Extra or should I switch to Mod 2?

This thread had a similar question that was never answered: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... +mods+v2.2

I also read somewhere about a 12v supply to the MS2 Daughter Board, but no mention of it in the MS2Extra EDIS Manual (V2.2 Archive). Is this required?
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1988 Renault 5 GT Turbo MS2 Extra
1972 Datsun 510 - L18 on Twin Webers
1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1Extra (EDIS) to MS2Extra (EDIS)

Post by DaveEFI »

It's rather an unusual question, as I'd guess not many fit an MS2 daughter board to a V2.2. On the V3 with MS2, the SAW signal is fed direct from the daughter card via JS10 and IGN rather than using one of the LED drivers as a buffer.

The 12v feed to the MS2 card is for the stepper motor driver.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

The 12v to the Daughter board is to power the stepper chip, if you are not using it no power needed.
The stepper chip can be used for other things though.

I'm no help on the v2.2 MB, I would look at the way the opto circuit is used on a v3.0 and make any needed changes to your v2.2.
Using the opto circuit is no longer the recommended method on a v3.0 so you may have to do some digging to find what you need.
It's times like this I wish I had archived the old manual.

I found an archived manual http://www.msextra.com/doc/index-ms2-archive.html
If you scroll down to the Ford EDIS section you will find the instructions.

You have to do 2 mods #1 , and #2.

Your #1 is not correct for the ignition input not enough of the v2.2 schematic is shown there to understand what your #1 does.
LED17 is not part of the opto-isolator input capture circuit. It must be a MS1 mod for the saw output as it connects to X11 with a pull up.
(i believe that jumper and resistor should be removed) Your #2 mod take it's place for a MS2.
What are the other small mods you reference?

Mod #2 outputs the EDIS SAW from the MS2, JP1 pin 5 on a v2.2 would be JS10 on a MS2v3.0, and X11 is pin 25 of the DB37on the v2.2 which will take the SAW to the EDIS

The other small mods you reference must be for the input side of the opto circuit and connect to the EDIS PIP
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Never did discover just why Extra did extensive mods to the opto input for EDIS, and B&G didn't. I ran B&G code and EDIS for many years without any problems.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Thanks Gents, I've modded as per MS2 requirements (Mod 2) and ran it up on the stim (old megastim) I'll try it on the car tomorrow.

I've had my V2.2 board for quite some time now (around 2004 I think). I'll probably upgrade to a V3 board if I plan on any serious mods.
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
Hemiguru
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Hemiguru »

I have also just upgraded a V2.2 board that has been running EDIS for 10 years. The engine is running fine but MS is not commanding the spark timing. It is at the base setting of 10 degrees BTDC, It appears I need to do some reading and rewiring.
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Hemiguru wrote:I have also just upgraded a V2.2 board that has been running EDIS for 10 years. The engine is running fine but MS is not commanding the spark timing. It is at the base setting of 10 degrees BTDC, It appears I need to do some reading and rewiring.
I'll let you know how I get on later today.

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

MSI Extra derives the SAW signal from processor Pin 7 (squirt) on the V2.2 board. And uses the LED driver circuit as a buffer.
The MS2 daughter board uses Pin17 (JS10)
On the V2.2 board, Pin 17 appears as JP1/5
MS2 doesn't seem to need a buffer.

So if fitting a MS2 card to an MS1 V2.2, you need to move the SAW wire from the added resistor on the squirt LED driver to JP1/5

Hope this is right, as it's not something I've done, so double check using the schematics.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

DaveEFI wrote:MSI Extra derives the SAW signal from processor Pin 7 (squirt) on the V2.2 board. And uses the LED driver circuit as a buffer.
The MS2 daughter board uses Pin17 (JS10)
On the V2.2 board, Pin 17 appears as JP1/5
MS2 doesn't seem to need a buffer.

So if fitting a MS2 card to an MS1 V2.2, you need to move the SAW wire from the added resistor on the squirt LED driver to JP1/5

Hope this is right, as it's not something I've done, so double check using the schematics.
Dave, I fired up the car with the above mods and she ran pretty well. So MS2 Extra running EDIS does need to have the jumper moved from LED 17 to JP1/5 and ditch the 750 ohm resistor.

Thanks for the background Dave.

MrBungle
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MrBungle »

Hello,

First post after about 10+ years. I'm in the same boat as you guys. I built a "fake" Ford Granada Cosworth EEC-IV using MS1 + V2.2 pcb. It was running the Extra HR code back then which really stretched the old processor to it's limits (sometimes probably beyond). After loosing interest for about 10 years I picked up the ECU to find out that a lot has changed. I bought the MS2 daughter card and started learning TunerStudio using my old Stim. I made the Edis connections as per the new instructions freeing up the d17 channel. I haven't tried starting an engine with it yet, but I noticed a curious thing in the TunerStudio. I cannot change the LED D14 setup in the "advanced>programmable On/Off output" tab because it says it's being used by my ignition setup (In V3 of the MS PCB the D14 corresponds to D17 in version 2.2). My question is, if the SAW has moved to Pin 17, why doesn't the tunerStudio allow me to change the LED D14 settings?

Best Regards,

Vallo
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

MS2/Extra uses a hardware timer for the EDIS SAW signal. This is only available on certain pins but gives a much more accurate signal.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
MrBungle
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MrBungle »

Matt Cramer wrote:MS2/Extra uses a hardware timer for the EDIS SAW signal. This is only available on certain pins but gives a much more accurate signal.
Thank You for the reply, this explains why the pin has moved, but it doesn't explain why I cannot use the led output for other stuff. I'm still in very early stages of my learning curve, so it could be just me.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

MrBungle wrote:Thank You for the reply, this explains why the pin has moved, but it doesn't explain why I cannot use the led output for other stuff.
Known code bug. It's on the to-fix list.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X