Mirosquirt Install on Subaru EJ20K

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

stew3223
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Mirosquirt Install on Subaru EJ20K

Post by stew3223 »

Here's the log from last night. I'm not sure, I guess I missed the attachment earlier.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

No a Microsquirt and an MS2 are NOT the same, they are somewhat similar in operation and use the same interface.

I missed the part about resistors on the VR input.
A Microsquirt uses a different VR conditioner than a MS2
Yes! regarding the use of resistors they are the same.
VR signals can vary greatly from install to install, often the VR signal will fly out of the range that the capture circuit is able to digest.

This is covered in the Microsquirt manual, section 5.2.2

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Microsqu ... re-3.4.pdf

There are even places on the microsquirt board that is a solder bridge switch for shunt on both VR channels.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
stew3223
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stew3223 »

Just to close the loop on this...

I did get it sorted out. I figured there was noise on the crank VR signal. I still had the Cam position sensor VR- shared with Crank VR-. I disconnected the cam position sensor and it worked straight away.

So anyways, here's my final .msq after a bit of road tuning. For anyone in the future looking to do this in the future...do yourself a favor and buy the $30 36-2-2-2 crank sprocket and start with that. Ignore the cam. It's a little rough at idle, but it works beautifully under load.

I gotta say, for the money it's a good little module. However, MS people need to do something about: 1.) There's too much conflicting info out there how to wire a VR sensor to a Micro and 2.) Work on their code or hardware for their VR rectifier or find a way to integrate calibratable thresholds for VR triggering within the software. I've used a number of other standalone's and have NEVER had an issue like this before. Just my constructive feedback...sort that out, and people will be putting a Microsquirt on everything with a gas tank.

Thanks all for their efforts in trying to sort this out as well. It's appreciated.