looking for Supra 7MGTE tune and advice

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

looking for Supra 7MGTE tune and advice

Post by Kmsgli »

Hey guys, a customer/friend wants me to MS his 87 MK III Supra (7MGTE). I have done a fair bit of reading and bang for the buck Microsquirt seems like the most cost effective way to retain the stock nippon desnso mess of a cam trigger system.

I am looking for anyone who has set one of these cars up for a reasonable base map and to make sure I am somewhat on the right path.

Going to use micro to take the 24 tooth (no missing tooth) into Vr1 and the 2 tooth (tdc) wheel will go into vr2 an i will set up tuner studios to run dual wheel setup. i was figuring to drive the factory coils right from the micro as they are using some strange ignition box now that the internet says is problematic.

Full disclosure i don't know much about Toyota, and all the MS installs I have done have been Volkswagen. I started multi metering around one of the three fuse boxes (ridiculous) in the car I am going to install on. Not sure its reasonable to use stock harness in any way or not still a bit lost under there. I think if all else fails I will get switch power where the ECU used to be and run my own main relay fuel pump relay and maybe one more for ignition coils. Just not sure what people do about headlights they seem to be wired into the ECU for some strange reason.

Looking for a bit of input from anyone who has done this setup before and what way they did it.
Thanks.
Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: looking for Supra 7MGTE tune and advice

Post by Kmsgli »

Any help is really appreciated.

thanks
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

You should ask in a Toyota forum, you will probably get a more supra specific response there for model specific considerations.

Using someone else's tune is like wearing someone's underwear! It is a shortcut cut to hell and could possibly cause damage.

Reading the Extra manual is the best way to get going. Print out the sections that pertain to your install will help avoid confusion.

The more simple solution is to use a plug & play if one is made for your application.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kmsgli »

rickb794 wrote:You should ask in a Toyota forum, you will probably get a more supra specific response there for model specific considerations.

Using someone else's tune is like wearing someone's underwear! It is a shortcut cut to hell and could possibly cause damage.

Reading the Extra manual is the best way to get going. Print out the sections that pertain to your install will help avoid confusion.

The more simple solution is to use a plug & play if one is made for your application.
I agree totally but i am not a member of any supra forums and i know a few guys on here run a similar setup. Initially I wanted to use a DIY PNP setup but looking over the car, its a 89 non turbo body 87 turbo motor and a wire harness that looks like its been tinkered with by a few people before the current owner got his hands on it. So since I am not a brand new megasquirter and have set up a few VW/Audis i figured someone on this forum could give me a reasonable base map for fuel and ignition tables as its easier to start from that then the table generator which i have never had much luck with.

I suppose it is me being lazy not making a screen name in a supra forum also though when your brand new on a forum people usually don't want to help. I find this forum is the exception to that rule as everyone is very friendly and tolerates a lot of BS from the general public.

My main question really relates to microsquirt specifically, according to the manual i should have no problem using the stock nippon denso setup just looking for a bit if confirmation. Also curious to see if people ar running the coils directly from the micro and if they have noise issues with that as there a few disclaimers in the micro manual that say directly firing coils can cause a good bit of noise on the ECU as it is so tightly packed. So if that is actually true what low budge external ignition driver makes the most sense?

Thanks for your input.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

The tuning tables are the easy part.

Hopefully you have a semi intact engine harness you can strip for the connectors you need.

The rest is connecting the dots.

Rarely will you find a MS install that is anywhere near compatible with another unless you do plug and pray.
You are already off in lala land because you have a mixed body and motor combo so that is off the table.

There is no shortcut. You will need to step through the manuals installation process and hard wire it.
A wiring diagram for the body will help and probably save a lot of blunders.
Print out the sections of the manual that cover the hardware you plan to use.
If you follow the installation instructions in the manual your chances of success are fairly good.

Correctly identify and post the hardware you have or plan to use as there may be better choices.
You have not detailed an ignition system to critique. There are many choices some are better or easier.
The manual covers lots of different ways to do things, some ways are not ideal ad may be problematic.
Some ways don't fully support all of the Megasquirt features, a Microsquirt does not have the I/O a MS2 or MS3 has so many features are not supported.
I have no microsquirt experience to share other than that it would not be my choice for your application and I would not use a CAS for a trigger source.
But Using LS coils and the CAS seems to be the easiest way and are both covered in the manual.
There are other considerations, low or high impedance injectors? compatible TPS? what kind of MAP sensor? Temp sensors?
Before you turn a single screw or order a single part you should know the answer to these questions.
Your concern regarding ignition noise is not justified unless you choose to not follow MS recommended practices.
Specifically spark plug and plug wire choices.

Also read the Do's and Don'ts post at the top of the forum to avoid some of the most common pitfalls.
The biggest pitfall is trying to use some goofy setup because that is what you have, use commonly available and popular (to MS) parts.
I think DIY sells a disc to convert the CAS to a simple missing tooth pattern and LS coils (using the resistor method) have been used on everything.
You may have to modify the Microsquirt, some pull up resistors may need to be installed.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kmsgli »

rickb794 wrote:The tuning tables are the easy part.

Hopefully you have a semi intact engine harness you can strip for the connectors you need.

The rest is connecting the dots.

Rarely will you find a MS install that is anywhere near compatible with another unless you do plug and pray.
You are already off in lala land because you have a mixed body and motor combo so that is off the table.

There is no shortcut. You will need to step through the manuals installation process and hard wire it.
A wiring diagram for the body will help and probably save a lot of blunders.
Print out the sections of the manual that cover the hardware you plan to use.
If you follow the installation instructions in the manual your chances of success are fairly good.

Correctly identify and post the hardware you have or plan to use as there may be better choices.
You have not detailed an ignition system to critique. There are many choices some are better or easier.
The manual covers lots of different ways to do things, some ways are not ideal ad may be problematic.
Some ways don't fully support all of the Megasquirt features, a Microsquirt does not have the I/O a MS2 or MS3 has so many features are not supported.
I have no microsquirt experience to share other than that it would not be my choice for your application and I would not use a CAS for a trigger source.
But Using LS coils and the CAS seems to be the easiest way and are both covered in the manual.
There are other considerations, low or high impedance injectors? compatible TPS? what kind of MAP sensor? Temp sensors?
Before you turn a single screw or order a single part you should know the answer to these questions.
Your concern regarding ignition noise is not justified unless you choose to not follow MS recommended practices.
Specifically spark plug and plug wire choices.

Also read the Do's and Don'ts post at the top of the forum to avoid some of the most common pitfalls.
The biggest pitfall is trying to use some goofy setup because that is what you have, use commonly available and popular (to MS) parts.
I think DIY sells a disc to convert the CAS to a simple missing tooth pattern and LS coils (using the resistor method) have been used on everything.
You may have to modify the Microsquirt, some pull up resistors may need to be installed.

Thanks for your advice.
My plan is such;
I will use the stock cam sensor as the micro manual indicates the dual wheel setup with 24 teeth (no missing tooth) and 2 tooth TDC trigger wheels can work together to make a clean tach signal.

The stock coils are dumb wasted spark coils (two wire coils) indicating they need an external igniter of some kind. I was told the stock igniter will work but some sources say it is problematic?
I was debating between a quadspark from DIY autotune or just buying 3 bip coil drivers and mounting them in an aluminium project box and put it under the dash with the ECU as i think that's all the quadspark is, just a couple bips in a nice sealed box?
Use IGN 1 and IGN2 and WLED for the three spark outputs going high inverted i believe for the BIP's and if i was to try to use the stock toyota igniter it would be logic level going low. (WLED needs a pullup circuit)
Backup plan if the stock cam signal is problematic is to remove the 2 tooth wheel and grind down two teeth on the 24 tooth wheel to make a 12-1 crank speed trigger

CLT temp is no problem and IAT i will use a GM bung welded to the inter cooler pipe just before the manifold
Stock TPS is a 4 wire TPS and with a multimeter the resistance changes when opening and closing the throttle plate which i believe indicates it is a true potentiometer that is compatible with MS.

Now you indicated microsquirt would not be your first choice but here are my reasons why i think it is a good fit;
with a standard MS V3.0 i would need a veal engineering daughter board to condition the second VR signal or setup a crank trigger from scratch. The micro manual already indicates the ignition system on the car is compatible with no real modification. Micro has the basic functions my buddy needs like boost control large external map sensor. It is lacking in some function but he is looking to save money and have a decent running car that makes a decent amount of power (350WHP).

If you can think if a better way to go whilst not going full on MS3x due to cost I would love to hear it.

Thanks again

Thanks.
frogcow
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by frogcow »

I have just gone through a process of installing an MS2 into a car with a non factory turbo engine. The car came out of the factory n/a with a carburettor, the engine it now has is EFI and turbocharged.

Like your buddys engine mine is a Japanese 80s with a Toyota DLI type factory ignition system although only has a single coil.

I was lucky enough that I carried out the engine change myself so only had to deal with wiring from the factory.

What was really helpful was creating my own wiring diagram incorporating all three harnesses, ( ms2, car loom, engine loom). I utilised all the engine bay wiring from the turbo engines original bay which I purchased through my vehicle specific forums marketplace thread.

I also chased down the three wiring diagrams and researched the net until I found all the answers to my specific setup.

This would never in a million years have been possible without the manufacturer specific online forums, they are a wealth of information and a great place to get some pretty unique parts.

It does sound like you have several options, I feel that the Megasquirt is a learning aid but for me affordability also needs to come into it as well as functional simplicity. Everyone is different though which makes it difficult to answer your question.
MS2v3.0 - code v 3.4.20 TS v 4.2.04
PWM IACV TIP122
24-1 VR sensor (Cam Driven) BIP373
Low(z) - PWM
Daihatsu Charade GTti 1989 - DOHC Intercooled Turbo - 3 Cylinders
Kmsgli
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kmsgli »

frogcow wrote:I have just gone through a process of installing an MS2 into a car with a non factory turbo engine. The car came out of the factory n/a with a carburettor, the engine it now has is EFI and turbocharged.

Like your buddys engine mine is a Japanese 80s with a Toyota DLI type factory ignition system although only has a single coil.

I was lucky enough that I carried out the engine change myself so only had to deal with wiring from the factory.

What was really helpful was creating my own wiring diagram incorporating all three harnesses, ( ms2, car loom, engine loom). I utilised all the engine bay wiring from the turbo engines original bay which I purchased through my vehicle specific forums marketplace thread.

I also chased down the three wiring diagrams and researched the net until I found all the answers to my specific setup.

This would never in a million years have been possible without the manufacturer specific online forums, they are a wealth of information and a great place to get some pretty unique parts.

It does sound like you have several options, I feel that the Megasquirt is a learning aid but for me affordability also needs to come into it as well as functional simplicity. Everyone is different though which makes it difficult to answer your question.
Thanks for your input man, So I think my plan from a few posts up is good, I ordered all the parts the only question I have left is the low impedance injectors. I got a ton of help from Matt at DIYautotune. The guys over there are great. Between Matt, this forum and the Supra forum I think I am good. I don't think using the stock injector resistor box is a good idea as it pairs off the injectors to make three pairs so I will have to split one pair between two banks to the microsquirt which will cause issues.

Does anyone know a good factory resistor box that gives resistance outputs in singles for a 6 cylinder or something? I saw somewhere a Honda Accord v6 has the right setup but I cant find any online or maybe the information i read was no good?