Settings configuration error....can't find conflict.

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Settings configuration error....can't find conflict.

Post by panel »

I can't seem to find what is conflicting. Any ideas ?

'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Settings configuration error....can't find conflict.

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The message explains it. You have LED D15 enabled as a programmable on/off output (spare output port) and you have your ignition outputs set as wasted cops which means you are using 4 ignition outputs including D15. Change one of those to get rid of the error message and have a properly configured and operational configuration.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Jean .....thx for the speedy reply. Is an internal board mod needed ?
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Or is as simple as changing it here?

MS2 Extra V3.0 board
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The question is: do you have 4 coils connected to your MS2 and do you also have a digital output connected to D15? If so, you need to physically change that so you don't have 2 functions for the same output (D15). If you don't have 4 coils on 4 outputs then you need to change the setting to wasted spark. If you don't have some output on D15 then you need to change the setting in the programmable on/off outputs.

The setting you show has nothing to do with D15. D15 is spark C when in wasted COPs and you also have D15 enabled as a programmable on/off output (under the Boost / Advanced menu).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Sounds like the same confusion I had when going to wasted spark.
I still don't understand why you would use Wasted COP at all, unless you were half way through a sequential install.

As jean has said - if you are only using two spark outputs for a 4 cylinder, then you should select wasted spark.
If you are actually using 4 spark outputs, then you need to use something other than D15 to control whatever you're using that programmable output for. Hard to believe something really is connected to D15 if the wire is being used for a coil though.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Yes I have 4 x LS2 coils running wasted spark. I also have a fan output running off the D15. I wasn't aware until now that they shared the same spot.

I'm confused now. I have it wired like this:

Logic spark outputs -top of R26=LED D14 Spark 'A' --> DB37 IGN (PIN 36)
Logic spark outputs -top of R29=LED D16 Spark 'B' --> DB37 IAC2B (PIN 31)

Fan output 1 - Top of R27 = LED D15 SPR1 (DB37 PIN #3)
Fan output 2 - JS11 SPR2 (DB37 PIN #4)

Boost Control - IAC2A
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Wasted spark is not the same as wasted COPs. Wasted spark uses 2 outputs with 2 cylinders on each (either through a dual output coil or 2 COPs on the same output); wasted COPs uses 4 outputs (spark A to D) with one COP per output but they are fired in pair.

If you only use spark A and B then you need to set the ignition output to wasted spark NOT wasted COPs. That will then take care of D15 because you won't have a spark C on it.

Jean
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

I guess I didn't actually look through the list.....or I did and thought.....yup I'm running LS2 coils , so I picked wasted COP. I see there is both wasted styles now I look into it.

MS2 Extra V3.0 board
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Hybrid and Jean , thanks for looking into this for me :D
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Yep, I thought I should run Wasted COP too because I had a coil per cylinder.

But in Wasted COP on a 4 cylinder, you use all 4 spark outputs, with two of them firing at the same time.
Wasted Spark, you only use two spark outputs and connect two coils to each output.
So wasted spark essentially gives you the same results as Wasted COP, but with Wasted COP you're really wasting two outputs that you could be using for something else (in your case, a fan output).

The only reason that I could see that anyone would want to use Wasted COP is if they had plans to eventually add a cam sensor to go sequential ignition and therefore needed all 4 spark outputs wired separately.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Run your fan off Fidle or one of the IAC stepper ports. Whichever you are not using for Idle.

When doing an install I never setup an ignition output for other use on the chance that later on you may wish to use it.

Idle strategy rarely changes so there is an unlikely chance of conflict by using the unused idle port for fan operation.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.