RPM Limiter kicking in for unknown reason

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: RPM Limiter kicking in for unknown reason

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

rickb794 wrote:Don't get your chonies in a wad over it, I learned the same way. I'm here to learn and help others.
No no you've got me all wrong. I appreciate the help and explanation. I like trying to help others as well, but find the build variations and scattered information can make getting a solid answer very difficult. It's embarrassing to provide incorrect information, So I'm just going to bow out of making suggestions for a while, as obviously I'm not familiar enough with the esoteric build aspects of the various MS units.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

None of us know absolutely everything - that's why it's good for everyone to help out where they can.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

BlackBird_SR71 wrote:Answer is... it's not. Signal must be going Low at the DB37 .
No.
"Going high" to dwell and "Going low" to fire yes. The setting name refers to the dwell portion.

The setting IS covered in the Hardware Manual.
ms2fetmethod.png
It has to be in the Hardware Manual (only) because the software settings depend on what hardware you are using. The manuals were split up that way because mods to a DIY board can make things very different to a factory assembled Microsquirt and jumbling all of that up in one manual leads to even more confusion.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

this one can be simplified with one statement.

whip out the volt meter and measure signal at the coil with the key on engine off. if it is 0volt you are good to go, if it is 5 volt it is backwards
MattyA
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyA »

I haven't had time to play with it for 2 days, but I should make some progress over the weekend. My battery died this morning and wouldn't start the car. I'll pick up a new one today and get busy over the weekend.
MattyA
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyA »

rickb794 wrote:Launch control is off in the MSQ I looked at.

Corruption?

Is the a2 suffix on the firmware signature correct?
I'll try it with it turned off and see what happens.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

It is turned off in the msq you posted. If that is not current please repost msq.

Using a battery charger and a bad battery with an MS is a recipe for bad things.

If you need more battery jump it from a running car.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

jsmcortina wrote: No.
"Going high" to dwell and "Going low" to fire yes. The setting name refers to the dwell portion.

James
The setting in TS clearly states "spark output". It doesn't say begin dwell.

The setting doesnt know what mods have been made so it has to be the "spark output pin" status.

We have to select high or low depending on what it takes to make the output circuit (mod we have connected to the spark output pin) to provide a signal compatible our external sparking device.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
MattyA
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyA »

That was the current msq, I would have turned it off to eliminate it as causing a problem.

In theory what's the difference in timing from 'going high' to 'going low'?
MattyA
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MattyA »

Quick update.
Put a new battery in this arvo. I changed the trigger settings to toothed wheel only and wasted COP. Re timed the engine as I moved the dizzy a touch the other day.

Ran perfectly and got smooth rpm all the way up to 5500, although I forgot to turn the ignition back to 'use table' so I was a bit retarded (haha).

I wasn't getting anything at all on the cam signal in the composite logger, so I figured I'd remove it from the settings.

I'm not sure if it was the new battery, but I don't think that was causing the issue.

I checked the voltage at the coil signal with the engine off. I got 0v with the coils set to 'going high' so I'm thinking that it's correct for my application?

I also dropped my dwell right down to 2...

I know I'm bad for changing more than one thing at a time, but at least now I can introduce one thing back at a time and see where I have issues again. I'm guessing there's something amiss in my cam input circuit.

My o2 sensor has s*** the tin now too, so I'll need a new one of those before I can get back to tuning.

Anyways, I'm pretty happy now as the car is running quite smooth with no issues other than my own known issues that have been on the work list from the start.

I'd just like to say thanks to all the guys that took the time to comment on this thread and have a look through my tune and log files.
Building the board was an achievement on its own, making a whole new harness wasn't bad at all, but once it came to getting it running there were times where I felt like I was in too deep. Many days were spent searching through the forums finding the answers to my questions for the little issues I've had.
I am so great-full that you guys spend the time to help out the newbies, as I'd imagine you would spend plenty of time banging your head against the wall.

Thanks again guys!
Got heaps more questions too, but I'll save them for another time after more tuning.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

MattyA wrote:In theory what's the difference in timing from 'going high' to 'going low'?
One works, the other melts your coils.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
aus4ze1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by aus4ze1 »

long shot but......... does anyone have the stock 4ze1 230cc injector deadtime specs????????