bat voltage

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gto66_455
Helpful MS/Extra'er

bat voltage

Post by gto66_455 »

:msq: I have a problem with bat v rising to over 20 volts, this is causing problems with ve tables. I can turn off the vehicle and restart after a couple of minutes and bat v will be back to normal and the process begins again. I have checked my voltage output from voltage reg when this is happening and it is normal. I cannot seem to figure out what is going on. I tried to post a data log but file is to big.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: bat voltage

Post by rickb794 »

The first thing to look at is you 5v line. If something is pulling down the Vref your bat voltage will go bonkers. The other thing to check is the voltage divider circiut that monitors the voltage.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
gto66_455
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by gto66_455 »

Thanks I will check the 5v line and post results
gto66_455
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by gto66_455 »

I did check the 5v line and when the bat voltage went high I checked the 5v line and it was at 2.5 v. I checked the line and rerouted it. It seems to have fixed the problem. I will continue to monitor to insure that the problem is fixed. Thanks for your help
gto66_455
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by gto66_455 »

That was short lived. Still have problem with bat voltage. When it goes to 26v on the tuner studio the car will die. If I catch it before then I can turn off the vehicle and restart and the gauge will read 13-14v. Any ideas?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As mentioned, you need to check what you have connected to Vref or internally to the 5V supply. You have something that is partially shorting the 5V to ground or drawing way more current than the supply can provide. Check everything externally connected to Vref and anything you added internally to the ECU that is connected to 5V.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Remove the things that are connected to Vref one item at a time until you isolate the problem.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
gto66_455
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by gto66_455 »

Solved, it was the db9 cable. I waited until the battery voltage started climbing, when it got to 16.5 afr was going real lean I than unplugged cable at ecu and everything returned to normal. I had found this in another post and thought I would try it. Thanks for the help,
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

gto66_455 wrote:Solved, it was the db9 cable. I waited until the battery voltage started climbing, when it got to 16.5 afr was going real lean I than unplugged cable at ecu and everything returned to normal. I had found this in another post and thought I would try it. Thanks for the help,
DB-9 serial cable to laptop?
If yes, where is laptop powered from: laptop battery only, vehicle battery?
You cannot power the laptop directly from the 12V vehicle. It can cause a ground loop, which sounds like your "solved" problem. The voltage can rise far above what you would imagine. I power the laptop with an inverter which provides ground isolation.

It is not simple to explain or understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47