2001 tacoma with ford 5.0 gt40p

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

blown5.0tacco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

2001 tacoma with ford 5.0 gt40p

Post by blown5.0tacco »

hey, i swapped in a sbf 5.0 with a m90 in to my tacoma this year and got that running using the factory ford explorer harness. then, my friend convinces me that using the microsquirt setup is the way to go, so i ripped out all the ford wiring say for some plugs and sensors and got the microsquirt engine controller, and a second with a 3' harness to be converted into a transmission controller.

so where im at now,

i have all the sensors wired into the engine controller. most of this wireing was easy, took like a day to get stuff sorted and matched up. whats confusing me is that i cant find anyone using my setup to copy off of, and a lot of people seem to say the same thing while talking about 2 different setups.

i am running the engine and transmission off of a 2000 ford explorer gt40 v8.

its unique because it was the only smallblock ford 5.0 (besides mountaineer) to use the coilpack distributerless ignition system. my problem is that i was told by the dealer to order my 2 engine controllers, a hand full of sensors, and a quad spark ignition system. so i've wired up all the sensors besides the ignition stuff now because i keep reading two different things.

i was told to use the same wasted spark setup ford used factory and that i would only need one quad spark box. that box should run both 4 pack coil packs fine and that i shouldnt have a problem finding a wireing diagram to hook it up. that i think is my biggest issue right now, i see lots of stuff about crank triggers, and the guy with the bronco he converted to EDIS but not my setup. im just supposed to use this quadspark box, no edis module, and the VR crank trigger thats already on my engine. i cannot find any diagrams though. everything ive seen so far is people either running the edis box, using only one coil pack, or using megasquirt, not my microsquirt. i think im really just looking for something to confirm how i think it should be wired before i melt something lol.

also, unrelated to this... i was told one of the cables from my engine controller should be able to be used to talk to my reflashed transmission controller. but i guess ill post that in another forum in the transmission section.

i think im just frustrated, new baby, not much sleep, and i've only been able to sneak off to tinker with this for an hour at most at a time now. reading about stuff on my phone, and what not. any help would be awesome.

thanks in advance!
Last edited by blown5.0tacco on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Tacoma with Supercharged GT40p 5.0 and 4R70W from a 2000 Mountaineer, manual transfercase from 97 f150, oil pan and pickup from a Gran Torino, and a ton of other custom stuff.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: new guy hello and questions

Post by Blown88GT »

Tacoma 5.0...that's unique!! I have a 2014 4cyl Tacoma in addition to the one in the signature.
Do you have Microsquirt or Microsquirt Module? Need to know exactly what MS you have, there are wiring differences but both run MS/Extra code.
There's a lot of Ford guys here.

Change your subject to something that will grab attention. I noticed your screen name, blown5.0tacco
Toyota Tacoma with Ford 5.0
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
blown5.0tacco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: 2001 tacoma with ford 5.0 gt40p

Post by blown5.0tacco »

i am running microsquirt v3

i have 2 microsquirt v3's one has the 8' connector harness and one has the 3' and is getting reflashed for transmission control. i even printed a sticker for it so it looks good haha :D

i have some build photos here
https://blown50tacco.imgbb.com/
2001 Tacoma with Supercharged GT40p 5.0 and 4R70W from a 2000 Mountaineer, manual transfercase from 97 f150, oil pan and pickup from a Gran Torino, and a ton of other custom stuff.
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

I think there is a way to control EDIS directly and also other ways to do ignition, such as TFI distributor with coil or VR distributor with coil, then also ways to implement the MSD 6AL.

Have you looked through the Microsquirt Hardware manual? It shows the wiring diagrams for all those scenarios I believe.
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

Also, did you buy the Microsquirt PNP from Efi Source or just the regular ECU with unterminated harness?
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

You don't want EDIS, and you don't want TFI. <spit> Both EDIS and TFI limit MS features and "basic trigger" mode does not provide as accurate crank position information to the MS as a crank sensor.

You need to verify your tooth pattern and make the correct settings in TS.

Make the correct connections to the MS from the VR sensor.

The Quad spark will run the 4 coils in wasted spark, you need to make the correct connections to the MS and settings in TS.

It is all covered in the fine manual http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Microsqu ... re-3.4.pdf
Section 6.9.6 gives your toothed wheel setup data.
Section 5.3.2 gives your quad spark output configuration.
Section 5.2.2 give the details for a VR sensor input.
Section 3.2 & 3.3 show you how to wire it.

Don't read the other sections of the manual as they will confuse you, only the sections that apply to your setup as shown above.
Your EDIS toothed wheel is a 36 tooth missing tooth wheel 36-1.
Don't use the EIDS module your MS has everything it needs to work better than EDIS except high current outputs.
Since Your Microsquirt does not have ignition output circuits for direct coil control, so you will use the logic outputs and the QuadSpark module will run the coils. Set the Spark Output to Going High
If you pull the cover off the MS you will see a solder bridge switch to add a resistor if needed for the VR sensor. Bottom of 5.2.2. There are 2, one for each VR input. You will be using VR1.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
blown5.0tacco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by blown5.0tacco »

thank you Rick, i think this will help a lot.

yes, i do not have EDIS and i cant run a distributer because of the blower lol

i was told to set this up with my quadspark box, factory coil packs, and all the factory ign stuff like trigger wheel, crank sensor, and maybe the cam sensor but i may not need that?

anyway, im at work now and im going to try and read the stuff that you highlighted for me now. this stuff is awesome, but there is so much information about every possible combination that it is hard to find what im looking for. then after reading for so long my brain feels like mush lol.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

blown5.0tacco wrote:thank you Rick, i think this will help a lot.

yes, i do not have EDIS and i cant run a distributer because of the blower lol

i was told to set this up with my quadspark box, factory coil packs, and all the factory ign stuff like trigger wheel, crank sensor, and maybe the cam sensor but i may not need that?

anyway, im at work now and im going to try and read the stuff that you highlighted for me now. this stuff is awesome, but there is so much information about every possible combination that it is hard to find what im looking for. then after reading for so long my brain feels like mush lol.
This is exactly why I advise to print out only the sections of the manual that apply to your hardware it's too easy to get overloaded or confused looking at all the other stuff that does not apply to your setup.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

Microsquirt V3 has it's own docs.
The new manual for V3 MicroSquirt® controllers is written specifically for it. It does not reference the MS-II™ controller or V2.2/V3 main board assembly/modifications.
http://www.useasydocs.com/quickstart.htm

It doesn't do full sequential, it's bank switching only.
blown5.0tacco wrote:...
This is probably good advice.

I have to ask...why a Microsquirt? It's intended for space limited applications.
Your MicroSquirt® controller should be mounted in a cool dry location (not under the hood). The enclosure is 'water resistant'. You can fully seal it, if you wish. The ampseal connector is already sealed, so you just need to seal the top to the bottom of the case to get a fully sealed unit.
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Here on the Extra forum we use one manual. The Extra manual. This is done to avoid confusion and centralize the information.

There is a Microsquirt specific manual at the link I provided.

There are too many different sources for information, and enough room for confusion as it is.

Sometimes info from other manuals may be beneficial but rarely and users should only be pointed there in certain circumstances.

In some instances information in other manuals is not correct for use with Extra Firmware or is out of date.

If you find a problem or hole in the Extra manual contact the maintainer for a resolution.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

rickb794 wrote:Here on the Extra forum we use one manual. The Extra manual. This is done to avoid confusion and centralize the information.
There is a Microsquirt specific manual at the link I provided...
The OP is new, he needs help, not commentary.
All I wanted to show him was the pic.
It's not so easy to find from your link.
This is a direct link:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Mic ... e-3.4.html
Here's the pic I was looking for on p.15.
blown5.0tacco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by blown5.0tacco »

ok so i just got back from really working on the truck for the first time in a while. i called DIY autotune and asked for some advise on wiring the quad spark and im pretty sure i have that correct BUT not 100%... now when i turn the key on i hear the fuel pump come on. i can smell gas when i pull a spark plug out. i can not however get spark... it seems that the plugs fire once and then not again. i didnt want to solder the connections until i verified that i had them setup right so here is how i did that.

so, i spliced IGN1 to the thinner gauge quad spark wires input (A and B)
then, i spliced IGN2 to the other 2 input wires (C and D)

i ran the quadspark output wires to my two 4-tower coil pack as follows:
A to the coils that fire 1/6
B to the coils that fire 3/5
C to the coils that fire 4/7
D to the coils that fire 2/8

i ran the 4 ground cables together to a heavy gauge ground strap and bolted that to the engin

i used this picture but my explorer stuff is setup the same

i set this up like this because it seemed most logical to follow the way ford had theirs wired... but again im not 100% sure.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Are you getting sync when you crank?
Pull the power to the injectors, so you're not pumping fuel in until you know your spark is right.

You can check your spark outputs manually in the output test mode in TunerStudio.
But you need to check that you have sync and that you see RPM in TunerStudio when cranking. If you don't, you will never get spark.

When you do get spark, you should also check the timing with a timing light when cranking. Don't inject any fuel until you know your spark is right.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
blown5.0tacco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by blown5.0tacco »

I did see rpm in tunerstudio. Tomorrow I'll pull the fuel and double check the spark.

I'll look for the output test mode too.

I've been searching for base tunes to load and try to learn from also. Hopefully I can fire this up tomorrow
blown5.0tacco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by blown5.0tacco »

i give up... i have no idea how this works. i've been here at my shop since 8am watching youtube videos and reading stuff that doesnt help me at all. everything says edis8 that doesnt help at all. some stuff says look at the manual but that doesnt say anything specific enough. this should be wired similar to a 96-98 mustang. i cant even find any tuner studio base tunes that help because im using the distributerless ignition.

then... in tuner studio im trying to check stuff and it doesnt look like anything goes with what i have,
like i have ignition1 and ignition2. tuner studio doesnt relate to that

nothing matches up and to me that just ruins the whole thing... like nothing goes with anything... searching pulls up all the mega squirt stuff and almost none of the microsquirt. people use names for stuff talking about one thing but they use the names for stuff from another. is there no definitive answer to anything?

im trying to paint by numbers with some youtube videos of guys that have 5.0 mustangs with superchargers or blowers, but that hasnt got me far. i really need to find out specificly what my tuner studio settings should be, like i wanna make sure i have them right. seems ok but i have no idea anymore. i gotta walk away before i burn this place down
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Sorry to hijack but I found this tool was so valuable to me.....and to check the injectors. I knew if I had both then she'd run. Great feature for sure.....get this working and it's all fun from here on in.
hybrid wrote: You can check your spark outputs manually in the output test mode in TunerStudio.
Also , I'm assuming you have this link? ---> https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... egasquirt/

Can you run the Quadspark from a Microsquirt ?
Last edited by panel on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

The type of engine doesn't matter so much. They all work the same way.
Don't worry about a "base tune" from somebody else. That can just make things harder.

So what is your exact setup?

You have a 5.0 V8 with a 36-1 crank wheel and no distributor?
I was running my windsor on a Microsquirt up until a few months back, so I have been there.

Can you verify that I have your setup right, then attach the current msq so we can have a look at it?
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!