Spark control options

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rexxer
MS/Extra Newbie

Spark control options

Post by Rexxer »

Hi all,

First let me say that I'm new to megasquirt, and I'm not a mechanic. I took on this project to stretch myself, and learn a bit. I've read the megamanual through and through, and will probably read it a few times more, since there is so much to know.

The project is a turbo'd 87 CRX SI with 1989 Integra D16A1 swap. When I bought this car, it had a 1987 Integra D16A1 and was running MS1 on a v2.2 board. It didn't make the trip home though, and threw a rod through the block. Since then, I have swapped in the '89 engine, and upgraded to MS2 on the same mainboard. The newer engine added an electronic advance distributor, and I thought to take advantage of spark timing. I also installed the Zeal daughterboard for VR signal conditioning of the TDC sensor.

I'm not totally sure of my options for spark control (well, I think I AM sure, but I'm not sure that I like the answer). Is there a way to trigger the stock ignitor using the hardware I already have, or do I need to build a BIP373 style circuit to trigger the coil directly, or convert to an HEI module? What is the easiest/best course of action (if those two things can ever be combined!)
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Spark control options

Post by Matt Cramer »

Honda's ignition modules are ground triggered. Wiring the negative terminal of D14 straight to the ignition module should work. Set the spark output to Going High.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Rexxer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Rexxer »

Thanks Matt. I had read that note on the diyautotune site, but initially ruled it out as an option because it's stated for a V3 mainboard. Now that I look further, I see that there is an equivalent LED on the v2.2: D17.

Tunerstudio doesn't have an option to use D17 as a spark output. However, choosing D14 seems to work on the stim.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sorry, missed the version number. D17 is the V2.2 equivalent.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X