Anybody else bricked their MS-II?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jim_Blackwood
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Anybody else bricked their MS-II?

Post by Jim_Blackwood »

That's certainly worth a thought. I don't believe I've had the ignition turned on with a battery charger running, but I do know that when the last one bricked it began with that signature mismatch error. Which was odd. I had been connecting and adjusting the settings with no problems, fired the car up and drove to a meet, about 1-1/2 hour away. While there I plugged in the laptop and got that signature mismatch error. Which didn't make a bit of sense to me considering it worked before I left home. Prudently I just turned off the ignition and disconnected. After the drive home I plugged in again and that's when I made the mistake of saying OK to the sig mismatch. At that point it all went bad and the car refused to start. Communication with the controller was gone. Put it on the bench, Bricked.

I plugged in my MS-III upgrade and had communication but I wanted to just drive the car so I ordered a new MS-II. Which also works.

Did I charge the battery between getting home and plugging the laptop back in? No. Later I did but by then nothing was working.

Jim
Jim_Blackwood
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jim_Blackwood »

I just ran the loader that is in the zip file. It tells me that there is nothing on com1 or com3, no device found. Ran it on both MS-II cards, same indication both times. Ran option 2 (verbose) same result with more failed ports.

Bricked.

Jim
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Jim_Blackwood wrote:I just ran the loader that is in the zip file. It tells me that there is nothing on com1 or com3, no device found. Ran it on both MS-II cards, same indication both times. Ran option 2 (verbose) same result with more failed ports.

Bricked.

Jim
With or without the bootload jumper? You need to try it with the jumper.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

And one more thing. You need to check if you still have 5V on the ECU (proto area or Vref) and that the CPU chip on the MS2 card does not heat up. Failure on either of these would mean a fried chip which would definitely be an unrecoverable failure (without physically changing a chip, of course).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Jim_Blackwood
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jim_Blackwood »

I think I tried it with the jumper both ways but next time I have it out of the car I'll double check, maybe sometime next week. I'll also check the 5v and chip temp. Didn't notice anything heating up though.

Jean, does having the 3 front panel LEDs on tell you anything?

Jim
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Jim_Blackwood wrote:I think I tried it with the jumper both ways but next time I have it out of the car I'll double check, maybe sometime next week. I'll also check the 5v and chip temp. Didn't notice anything heating up though.

Jean, does having the 3 front panel LEDs on tell you anything?

Jim
That happens if there's no firmware loaded.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Also, make sure to use the bootloader jumper on the MS2 card not the one on the main board. That last one won't do anything as that was for the MS1.

Jean