no timing control

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

orange advan
MS/Extra Newbie

no timing control

Post by orange advan »

hmm after gettting kicked down the forum street let's hope the 3rd time is the charm. here's my story. I have diypnp i put together back in '13. this was for a 4age corolla using the stock efi system. ran great didn't have a problem with it. ran for a few months and placed in to storage. now in '17 I decided to build a corolla with itbs. car ran with stock ecu and all i did was swap the diypnp. fired up and idled no problem so far. but when I tried to setup the timing, i get no response from the diypnp. whether i change the timing table or set fixed timing and change from there. I get no changes when i check with the timing light. so I check continuity of the output wire from the ecu to the igniter. no problem. check continuity from ign pin to the microsquirt module. no problem. I try to probe for 5v out put in the ecu. I get nothing. note i'm using just a digitial meter not an oscilloscope. the only thing i'm thinking is possibly a bad microsquirt module. though i'll rule that out as last resort. i'm sure it's just missing something i'm not seeing. so i attach the msq for review and hopefully a solution. thanks
Last edited by orange advan on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: no timing control

Post by hybrid »

Can you tell us more about your ignition system?
How is the engine running if Microsquirt is not controlling the spark?
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
orange advan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by orange advan »

it's using the stock toyota VAST system. it's a factory system with it's own igniter which can run on it's own without ecu guidance, i guess a failsafe if something occurs. with megasquirt connected it'll fire up and run without the ign output connected. i'm wondering if it's something with the firmware. i'm still using firmware from '13.
Last edited by orange advan on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

orange advan wrote:it's using the stock toyota VAST system. so it'll fire up and run without the ign output connected. timing won't budge without the ecu signal to control. i'm wondering if it's something with the firmware. i'm still using firmware from '13.
Upgrade to the newest firmware and see what happens. You'd be surprised at how many issues can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
Make sure to save a current copy of your tune before the upgrade.
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
orange advan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by orange advan »

hello, just an update as i just got around to tinkering with the ecu. updated to the latest firmware 3.4.2, the original was 3.2.4. Now everything is as it should be. Just wondering why it required a firmware update since I didn't touch anything in the ecu, or what i may have switched to make act the way it did. Anyways thanks again.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

It's possible that re-flashing the original firmware would have fixed it too.
On the odd (and very rare) occasion, I have seen firmware become corrupted and do very weird things.
Re-flashing and pushing the same tune back to the ECU fixes it.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!