Batch to seq fuel issues

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Batch to seq fuel issues

Post by mk1rocc »

Hello,
My engine is tuned and running fine on MS2 extra v3.0 board with wasted spark and batch injection except the transient fueling . EAE is driving me insane, I tried to tune it 3 times now and it's still not right.
This is a vw 1.8t with a tiny k03s turbo and the fast onset of boost is sometimes really hard to compensate for with EAE.hence the need to go full seq fuel . I realize i will still need to tune AE ,EAE but it should be much easier...I hope.
I set up the cam hall sensor and everything to work with MS seq and I get a good signal on the composite logger but the engine seems to be running on 2 cyl and will die if left to idle.
I checked the injectors and they are indeed squirting fuel , the spark is also working but i believe that cyl 1 and 4 arfe not getting the spark at the right time...I unplugged the injectors from 1-4 and nothing changed in the engine behavior so clearly those cylinders are not working but not because of fuel so it must be spark...
Tunerstudio says Rpm fully sync so MS is happy but why is it not working right?
I tried to change a thing at a time to see how it affects the running:
Changed from 78* n1 tooth to 438*--no change
Second trigger tried every combination
Tried end of pulse, start of pulse
injection at different timings, with a table and fixed timing

I am running out of ideas :cry: ... any help is apreciated
Here is the composite log , msq, and datalog of the engine barely running on seq fuel:
2017-08-18_09.36.16.msq
2017-08-16_12.41.51.csv
2017-08-12_20.59.44.msl
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Batch to seq fuel issues

Post by rickb794 »

Have you observed the timing with a light on the cylinders in question?

Code version 3.3.3 is old and stinky.

Injector PWM is on, but greyed out?

EAE is for TBI not Port injection?

Your VE table looks like the Grand Canyon.

You don't have include AFR set?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

No I haven't observed with a strobe light , I will have to do that... but still If it is off i do not know what to do to fix it...the cam sensor is stock and is timed correctly...
the code version works fine on wasted spark.. i will not change it unless it has anything to do with the issue at hand.
Injector PWM is on--- I do not know what you are talking about on this one... i will look into it more
EAE is for TBI not Port injection?...port injection.
Your VE table looks like the Grand Canyon.... this is a non smoothed version because I changed my intercooler and haven't gotten around to it. BUt it has nothing to do with the SEQ fuel prob....
You don't have include AFR set? you mean AFR target? than no I have not ... this is not necessary and does not have anything to do with the issue at hand , does it.?..IDK
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

So except for a firmware update, no one has any suggestions about this?
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

mk1rocc wrote:So except for a firmware update, no one has any suggestions about this?
Alot of the time a firmware update will solve alot of issues. I'm sure they would prefer you to update firmware before trying anything else as they usually involve bug fixes. Changing settings and such would be counter-productive if all it takes is a firmware update if you catch my drift.
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

this is why i posted here to know if there are maybe any settings that I missed .so i can rule out that... If the problem that I am having is most likely from a firmware bug than I will update it and see.
Thanks
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

mk1rocc wrote:this is why i posted here to know if there are maybe any settings that I missed .so i can rule out that... If the problem that I am having is most likely from a firmware bug than I will update it and see.
Thanks
Its always good practice to stay current with firmware releases to rule out firmware bugs. I cant count how many threads I have seen people chase their tails for quite awhile just to find out something was caused by a firmware bug.

It is one of the easiest and quickest ways to rule something out, so it is usually the very first thing recommended when they see an older firmware being used. Once that is out of the way they can then attack other possibilities and get closer to the solution faster.
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

ok, got it , makes sense. I was just afraid of fixing a good thing... well it was good on batch anyway...
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

You mension the onset of boost is pretty sudden with a K03, this is true but look at your boost duty table, you have 100% duty at 2000rpm at WOT, duty drops off into the 50%s for most of the RPM range and goes back to 100% at 6000rpm. On my 1.8t I set my boost duty fairly low until about 4000rpm as it could easily spike and be a pig to drive. This won't help your current problem however.
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

lotus23C wrote:You mension the onset of boost is pretty sudden with a K03, this is true but look at your boost duty table, you have 100% duty at 2000rpm at WOT, duty drops off into the 50%s for most of the RPM range and goes back to 100% at 6000rpm. On my 1.8t I set my boost duty fairly low until about 4000rpm as it could easily spike and be a pig to drive. This won't help your current problem however.
Unfortunately the K03 runs out of steam pretty soon so the mid-range is pretty much all it's got, and I like it in a way it feels like a big displacement engine...
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

Updated to firmware 3.4.2 and still working the same... or not working to be accurate.
what else can I try?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Have you modded the board for sequential fueling or are you just trying to run semi-sequential? I ask because you have additional drivers turned on in Engine and Sequential settings. If you don't have your board modded for the additional drivers it's never going to work right.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

The board was modded from the start, I run the additional drivers in batch mode as well. As I already said fuel is working on all cylinders, the injectors are getting signal and are spraying. An so is the spark it is working most definitely just not right as long as cyl 1-4 are wetting the spark plug and not firing.When I switch to Untimed injection everything works ok.
I even tried switching to wasted cop and COP just to see how it would run... Wasted COP ran the same and COP ran worse and seemed like it was running just one Cyl.
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

If the signal from the hall is good as per TS logs can I at least rule out a wiring/hardware problem?
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Have you tested all spark outputs in test mode?
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

hybrid wrote:Have you tested all spark outputs in test mode?
I tested them with a strobe timing light with an inductive pickup while the engine was running, I don't think testing them in test mode would give my extra information
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

So they all worked? Are you sure you have the firing order correct?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

hybrid wrote:So they all worked? Are you sure you have the firing order correct?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I only tested cyl 1 because that cyl did not seem to work and cyl 4 as well. cyl 2,3 run ok.
The firing order is the same as always... and runs fine when I switch to untimed injection...
I am going to recheck the spark outputs in test mode and also check the timing on CYL 1 ( I wanted to do that before but running on only 2 Cylinders makes for a very rough "idle" so I did not think that this reading will be of any use but i will give it a go)
There has to be something I missed... so I will keep at it until it works!
mk1rocc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mk1rocc »

I reposted a msq seeing as with the older firmware I was running it was giving other users some errors.
new firm.msq
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Could have sworn I replied to this yesterday. Anyway.

You need to test all the outputs and they need to be set up correctly for the firing order.
The fact things work for "untimed" is irrelevant when you switch to sequential.
With untimed injection, it does not matter which outputs you are connected to because they all inject together.

When you switch to sequential fuel OR ignition, you MUST have the outputs correct.

So go in to test mode and test each spark output and each injector output. Obviously each output needs to be working, but also need to be connected to the correct cylinder.
If your firing order is 1342, then you should have the following:

SparkA + INJ1 -> Cyl 1
SparkB + INJ2 -> Cyl 3
SparkC + INJ3 -> Cyl 4
SparkD + INJ4 -> Cyl 2