#1 tooth adjustment issues

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

#1 tooth adjustment issues

Post by 260zl28et »

MS Team,
I'd like start by saying thank you for the support you give to all of us enthusiasts. I've learnt a lot through reading countless topics. I own a 260z which now has an L28et engine in it. I purchased the engine back in 2014 and have slowly been resto modding my car to the point where I'm tuning my engine utilizing Megasquirt.

Setup:
7/74 260z
MS2.0 v3.0.28 harness built by Kurk McKay
L28et P90 head, optical sensor distributor, MS trigger wheel installed, 240sx TPS, GM IAT sensor, SCG-1 Innovate wide ban oxygen sensor and boost controller
Custom fuel tank with external Bosch fuel pump

I've read many topics on preparation to getting to start the engine. I've received support from Hybridz members and I've got MS2 dialed along with what I think is correct for timing. I've got the distributor set so the notch on the harmonic balancer is set at 10 btdc. Rotor is set at number 1 and have checked the cam lobes are set at TDC.
I'm trying to adjust #1 tooth angle and sync the engine with MS. I have checked and rechecked over and over to be sure that I have tdc for #1 plug lead. I've also made sure that the timing light is clamped to #1 wire and away from influence of other spark plug wires.
Now I'm trying to sync the #1 tooth position. It should be close to 360 but it's 180 off. I set the #1 tooth position to 180 as a test and it got close. It's maybe 10 after tdc. I messed around with it for bit adjusting by 10 following the sequence: adjust, burn, key to off position, save. It doesn't adjust now? I kept trying over and over until i got to 160 and it adjusted to like 60 btdc. Why is it bouncing around so much? This is really giving me a terrible time. I feel like I should be driving this car now but I've spent the whole summer trying to sync. Any pointers?
I've attached the MSQ file.
Thank you,
Aaron
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: #1 tooth adjustment issues

Post by rickb794 »

Locked no-advance distributor?

Wheel speed set to crank! Help says to set distributor to cam speed....
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

Megasquirt L28et trigger wheel installation suggests wheel speed to be set to Crank Wheel.
Thanks,
Aaron
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Correct, it's a doubled up pattern to emulate a crank wheel for faster sync-up.

Can you post a tooth log? This will let me see if it's getting a problem reading the missing tooth.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Aaron , you have a PM (re harness)
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

Sorry guys, I've been out of town for work. Please find attached the tooth log. It seems somewhat normal but I am a novice at this.
Your continued support is very much appreciated.
All the best,
Aaron
Attachments
2017-09-30_11.03.52.csv
(89.97 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The tooth log looks good. Can you post a regular data log of an attempted start at this point?
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

When you say attempted start shall I you referring to the same thing as the tooth log yet a different log selection? Is that the Composite Log or the Engine Log?
Thanks,
Aaron
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

No. To get a data log, go to the Data Logging menu and click Start Logging. You will be prompted for a file name. The log starts when you save the file (this is an easy one to get tripped up on as a lot of people expect saving the file to be what you do at the end of the log). Once you have recorded what you need, go to the Data Logging Menu and click Stop.
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

Did you install the triggerwheel in the correct orientation?
I found this to be very helpfull when I set up the sr20cas on my Z20 engine and didn't know the *1 tooth angle. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 73#p506673

Also what timing light are you using ?
Regular dumb one or some fancy adjustable thingy?
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

Good evening,
Please find attached my data log as requested.
Thank you,
Aaron
Attachments
2017-10-04_18.30.09.msl
(187.78 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

Spiffy,
The trigger wheel was installed per the instructions on Megasquirt. My next option will be to flip it over to see if that's the problem pending feedback on my Data Log. I believe that I've got everything setup correctly with regards to balancer notch position on 10*TDC, ignition rotor position on cylinder one etc. I'm hoping that someone smarter than me can review and diagnose something that I've spaced through the Data Log. My timing light is a basic/cheap version.
Thank you all for your help!
Regards,
Aaron
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

260zl28et wrote:Spiffy,
The trigger wheel was installed per the instructions on Megasquirt. My next option will be to flip it over to see if that's the problem pending feedback on my Data Log. I believe that I've got everything setup correctly with regards to balancer notch position on 10*TDC, ignition rotor position on cylinder one etc. I'm hoping that someone smarter than me can review and diagnose something that I've spaced through the Data Log. My timing light is a basic/cheap version.
Thank you all for your help!
Regards,
Aaron
So if I understand you correct when your engine and *1 piston is at TDC on its compression stroke the timing mark on your crank pulley is at the 10* mark? If so that is wrong, it should be at the 0 mark. Furthermore, when engine is at TDC and you remove your dizzy is the tang on your oilpump shaft at the 11:25 position?

As far as the triggerwheel being installed wrong just check it's the same orientation as seen on the diyautotune website: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... gger-disc/

And even if it says tooth 1 angle 345 degrees on the website some engines and setups differ from this, like in my case I have a 170* tooth1 angle.
And you should make a composite log also.
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

Spiffy,
Just to clarify, the distributor has about 10 degrees adjustability from 0 to 10*BTDC. I've got it rotated so number 1 spark is centered on the rotor in the distributor cap. So in essence, I believe the distributor is installed correctly. One thing I did notice is that the tang is rotated to 12:00 at TDC. That shouldn't make a difference assuming adjustability in MS? I'll get a composite log posted soon.
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

More information based on some tooth #1 adjustments. If I set the angle to 180* I get around 40* after on the balancer notch. Now if I set tooth #1 to 170* I get around 60* BTDC. So 10* change gets me around 100* in adjustment. Has anyone witnessed this before? What can I log and post so others can help?
Thank you,
Aaron
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

That pic shows a mechanical advance distributor, it must be locked in order to use it with a MS system.

The rotor should be pointed at the center of the #1 terminal at 25°BTDC and THE DIST SHOULD BE LOCKED THERE.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

Just to confirm, that's not my distributor. I tried flipping over the trigger wheel which I know is the wrong side as the wheel has a smooth and rough finish. Now the rough surface is facing upwards and I've managed to sync the timing to 2* BTDC even though my timing for fixed advance is set to 10*. My #1 tooth angle is now set to 389*. I tried going further to 390* and the notch went from 2* to 30* BTDC. I just don't know what is going on? What do the MS guys think? Is there something wrong with the computer or my distributor or both? What additional information can I provide to diagnose this?
Thank you,
Aaron
260zl28et
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 260zl28et »

Is there anyone in Portland, Oregon that could take a look at this in person?
Thanks,
Aaron
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

Are you absolutely sure your timing light is working correctly or getting a good signal? Keep in mind the clasp you put around the ht lead must be in the correct orientation, usually there's an arrow on it indicating what way it clamps on. I struggled getting a good signal on my coil on plug setup and the timing mark was bouncing all around the place all depending on the tooth angle I set in tunerstudio....

Sent fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 via Tapatalk
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

And the timing light must be grounded to the car, you can't use a separate power source for the light.