VR Sensor Questions

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

VR Sensor Questions

Post by R100RT »

Hi All - I'm planning/ tinkering on another BMW project, with an inline 3 cylinder K75 motorbike engine. A 36/1 tone wheel is easy to add, however for the cam sensor I'm looking at options still.
I will be using VR sensors again, had really good success even with my older V2 vintage MicroSquirt. A VR conditioner chip helped even things out for sequential operation, but on this engine the addition of the cam sensor is still a design in process at this point - with a wish to avoid too serious of modifications to the cam gear train and other internals. There are the cam lobes - anyone found a success utilizing the mass of the lobe to establish cam timing? (one tooth required)
Below is an image depicting both a cam lobe and an end plate with a single square tooth (on another application).
So, I'd like to try the cam lobe for simplicity - and can test but wondered at others experience?
Thoughts, comments welcomed.
Lorne
wmcam_sensor_tab_2.jpg
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VR Sensor Questions

Post by rickb794 »

Cam sensor timing is not critical, it just needs to be within a certain window.

A valve lobe should work check the manual to see if it falls within the useable window.

A hole drilled in a gear or sprocket will work as well.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Anyway to point it sideways to the lobe ?

Or make your own custom sensor whit a hallsensor like ATS627 Allegro.
Been using this on a mill, tooth/rpm counter, works nice.
Been thinking of using it on my bike to get full sequential, but have to ruin my valve cover for it :roll:
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Yes, not wishing to alter the stock valve cover. I could organize a sensor at right angles to the cam lobe, or come at it from above - that was somewhat my question but I can certainly try some testing. I feel having anything partly or totally under a cover would create enough heat that a VR sensor would be the wise choice, but if there are Halls that can handle that then guess I need to get out more :lol:
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

R100RT wrote: but if there are Halls that can handle that then guess I need to get out more :lol:
This has a max temp of 150 C :D