Bosch 2 wire idle valve>high idle

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JelmerS38
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Bosch 2 wire idle valve>high idle

Post by JelmerS38 »

I have a Bosch 2 wire idle valve on my Nissan VG30DET engine but it runs 1100 rpm at idle.
It now runs 1100 rpm, if I switch to valve setting 100% inverted it goes to 3000+rpm.
What setting should I use to have it idle at 800rpm when fully warmed up?
Attachments
2017-09-28_21.12.25.msq
(119.28 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
1983 Datsun Laurel VG30det 3.0 V6 24v single turbo on Microsquirt V3, VAG COP, BMW ICV, eBay intercooler

1984 Nissan Patrol L28et 2.8 L6 single turbo L-jetronic (next MS project)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Bosch 2 wire idle valve>high idle

Post by grom_e30 »

a lot of the bosch valves used on bmw's work well at about 100hz, some of the 2 wire valves are spring loaded they are wide open at about 60-70%dc closed at about 30% dc and start opening up again but the other way when you go below 30% dc. its like a fail safe the valve opens on the spring if power is lost to the valve to stop the car stalling.

open the idle valve test mode and observe the slide on the valve as you vary the duty cycle is your best bet. that way you can get an ideal for what duty causes fully open/fully closed i guess.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
tryingbe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tryingbe »

On a fully warmed up engine, do what Marek says, then adjust the idle screw until desire RPM reached.

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Ni ... 5280075f7c

Once your warm up base idle is set, then you can adjust your BOSCH idle valve's settings.

Side note, you should enable the "Barometric Correction" to "Initial MAP reading" under General settings, unless you have a good reason not to.
Last edited by tryingbe on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo MicroSquirted 367whp http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=67324
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

On a fully warmed up engine, use the test mode to work out when the idle valve is shut and use that setting. (It'll be when the rpm is at a minimum.) Now adjust the throttle butterfly and/or idle screw to get your desired idle speed.

You can then enter the idle valve opening settings for all of the lower (warmup) temperatures and the final (hot) setting will be the closed setting as already determined.

Typical settings are fully open 80%; partially open between 80 and 39%; closed 39%; open again below 39%. Yours may be different.

kind regards
Marek
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

What happens if you disconnect it?
If the idle stays high, the issue is not with the valve.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
JelmerS38
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JelmerS38 »

tryingbe wrote:
Side note, you should enable the "Barometric Correction" to "Initial MAP reading" under General settings, unless you have a good reason not to.
I have a good reason not to: The Netherlands is at sealevel and the higest point I can get with the car is a parking garage..... :mrgreen:

See my other topic about the idle problem, it is solved now.
1983 Datsun Laurel VG30det 3.0 V6 24v single turbo on Microsquirt V3, VAG COP, BMW ICV, eBay intercooler

1984 Nissan Patrol L28et 2.8 L6 single turbo L-jetronic (next MS project)
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

JelmerS38 wrote:
tryingbe wrote:
I have a good reason not to: The Netherlands is at sealevel and the higest point I can get with the car is a parking garage..... .
Similar in England.

However, my advice is different. If a customer needs baro correction I would recommend a dedicated baro sensor. The 'initial value' option can easily cause false readings and give problems.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".