please help (driver down)

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

robhart
MS/Extra Newbie

please help (driver down)

Post by robhart »

I foolishly set my spark output to going low and had the key on before I realized the problem. I run a dumb igniter and twin coil wasted spark 4 cyl. the error melted the coil and damaged the driver (ign2). Questions: can I replace the driver and where is it on the board. Also may I use another driver like wled or tach out? thanks in advance
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: please help (driver down)

Post by LAV1000 »

Check: http://www.msextra.com/manuals/

Which type MS ?
robhart
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by robhart »

sorry it is a microsquirt V3 when I go to the programmable output drop down I dont see spark 'c' in list for wled or tach out
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

robhart wrote:sorry it is a microsquirt V3 when I go to the programmable output drop down I dont see spark 'c' in list for wled or tach out
Microsquirt doesn't drive "dumb" coils only electronic coils.
It can drive dumb coils if you use a amplifier see page 66 manual.

There are also electronic schematics over there.
Looks like your IGN and IGN2 are direcly driven from the chip ?

Do you have some electronic skills ?
robhart
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by robhart »

I use a Mitsubishi 2 channel coil driver (amplifier) and run the coil pack @3.50 ms dwell time. I am fairly good at surface mount soldering but I need to know where the diver is. I will try to go through the board and find it . Is it serviceable ? and could i just use wled.
Last edited by robhart on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

robhart wrote:I use a Mitsubishi 2 channel coil driver and rum the coil pack @350 ms dwell time. I am fairly good at surface mount soldering but I need to know where the diver is. I will try to go through the board and find it . Is it serviceable ? and could i just use wled.
350ms ?!! That's orders of magnitude higher than it should be (like 100 times). And no that's not serviceable because that's directly connected to a CPU pin and you cannot simply replace the CPU chip since it requires programming with a specialized tool. The schematics are available in the manuals linked at the top of the page.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
robhart
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by robhart »

OK the ign 1 is on the board marked D8 the ign 2 driver is marked D9. I cant read the notations under my magnifier I need to work on that. I have a couple haltech ex6 modules I use for parts I wonder if they will work. I definitely need an engineering judgment on that so I will get to work on thier specs .
robhart
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by robhart »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
robhart wrote:I use a Mitsubishi 2 channel coil driver and rum the coil pack @350 ms dwell time. I am fairly good at surface mount soldering but I need to know where the diver is. I will try to go through the board and find it . Is it serviceable ? and could i just use wled.
350ms ?!! That's orders of magnitude higher than it should be (like 100 times). And no that's not serviceable because that's directly connected to a CPU pin and you cannot simply replace the CPU chip since it requires programming with a specialized tool. The schematics are available in the manuals linked at the top of the page.

Jean
sorry I ment 3.5 ms
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

robhart wrote:OK the ign 1 is on the board marked D8 the ign 2 driver is marked D9. I cant read the notations under my magnifier I need to work on that. I have a couple haltech ex6 modules I use for parts I wonder if they will work. I definitely need an engineering judgment on that so I will get to work on thier specs .
Those are not drivers just diodes.
Use a led and 470 Ohm to test the IGN and IGN2 output.
Its maybe just your mitsu driver which is broke if you lucky.

Jean typed quicker on the 350 msec, try 3,5 msec.
Joe Clark
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joe Clark »

I have been asked to take a look at a Microsquirt with a dead IGN output, looking at the circuit diagram presumably the 100 Ohm resistor in series should pretty much protect against shorting the output as it would limit the current to a few mA (around 5-10?), (I expect the chip could source 20-30mA), so is the most likely faliure caused by back feeding the pin with 12v for long enough that the Bat54 dies?

Assuming worst case & the chip O/P is fried, is it possible to get a programmed chip from somewhere? as I am quite expericend at replacing these SMT chips.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Joe Clark wrote: Assuming worst case & the chip O/P is fried, is it possible to get a programmed chip from somewhere? as I am quite expericend at replacing these SMT chips.
Try to contact one of the sellers, some also do repairs.
I don't know if they wil sent you a programmed chip :(