DIYPNP JECS 64 pin in 1994 Nissan D21 No Spark on Crank

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Truck40SX
MS/Extra Newbie

DIYPNP JECS 64 pin in 1994 Nissan D21 No Spark on Crank

Post by Truck40SX »

Just finished building my DIYPNP and plugged it into my truck, turn the key on, fuel pump turns on, I get fuel on the plugs, all sensors (TPS,IAT,MAP,CLT ect) work and show values and it connects with the key in the ON position. When I go to crank the engine I get no spark, checked at the plugs and at the coil. When I go into "Test Mode" in tunerstudio I can toggle the coil on and off and it will fire then but not while cranking. Using the provided KA24E "IDLE ONLY" Tune, only changes I have made are for the AFR and thermistor tables. I double checked the jumpers for the main board and the adapter board and they are correct. (I can provide a picture if needed). I consider myself fairly good at troubleshooting and electronics and computers but this one has me stumped. I've done as much research as I can find but if I missed something right infront of my face or broke one of the golden rules of this forum I apologize. Attached is the tune Im using. Truck is a 1994 Nissan D21 with the KA24E 2WD manual. Runs fine when I swap back to the ecu, distributor, coil, ignition module, TPS, injectors are all brand new. I would attach a datalog but I haven't been able to get that far lol.
Attachments
KA24E IDLE ONLY.msq
(78.91 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: DIYPNP JECS 64 pin in 1994 Nissan D21 No Spark on Crank

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'll need to see the data log to see what the ECU "thinks" is happening on an attempted start.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Truck40SX
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Truck40SX »

Will do, didn't realize I could datalog without it starting.
Truck40SX
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Truck40SX »

Here we go:
I tried using the composite logger and I kept getting "empty read" on the left side and nothing would show up. Same for the tooth and trigger loggers. So Im thinking somehow not communicating with the distributor?
Attachments
2017-10-12_10.24.36.msl
(65.31 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Truck40SX wrote:Will do, didn't realize I could datalog without it starting.
I don't know why, but a lot of people get that impression. Can you elaborate on where you got that idea, so we can improve the documentation and make it clearer that you can data log whether the engine is running or not? You're not the only one who expected it to work like that.

And yes, it looks like there's no distributor signal whatsoever. First, please make sure you have both the Opto In pull up and the Opto GND jumper connected.
Truck40SX
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Truck40SX »

Honestly it was an assumption, I think I assumed because voltage drops during cranking it must somehow affect it. Turns out I didn't jumper OPTO GND, Im sure that's my issue.
I was a little confused however with this page: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... san-240sx/ the section
where it mentions the opto gnd doesn't have an X denoting on or off like it does with the BL/TH jumper, but now that I go back and read the v1.5 docs I see that it says if you jumper opto + to the
main board you must jumper opto gnd https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... c-jumpers/ Will report back when I crank it again,
thanks for your help.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sorry, I'll get that fixed right away.