MS2 firing Ford COP

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pkm123
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS2 firing Ford COP

Post by pkm123 »

Thought I'd post an update to help others using MS2 and EDIS 8 on a ford COP setup. I have been running Wasted spark with the coils wired in series. The car performed flawlessly except when under high boost. Then it would miss above 5000 rpm. I believe this was due to the boost blowing out the spark and/or the coils not having enough time to charge. I measured the coil resistance and found each to be 1 ohm, so in series, the EDIS was seeing 2 ohms. I them measured the resistance of a coil pack (96 mustang) and found it to be 0.5 ohm. This means the EDIS 8 was seeing a much higher resistance than it was designed for. I rewired the COP setup to place the coils in parallel. This made the resistance 0.5 ohms, just like the coil pack cars. The engine would not fire.

The solution came when I add a second EDIS 8. Each EDIS 8 fires 4 plugs and see a resistance of 1 ohm. I split the VR sensor input between both EDIS's, fed PIP to the ms2 from one, and fed the SAW wave back to both.
SUCCESS!

There is another solution. You could modify the MS2 for 4 ignition TTL output and use a addon coil driver box in wasted spark, but the EDIS solution worked so well in the past, that I tried this procedure first, in addition, my accessory outputs are preserved.
Thanks.