cold startup issue. log and tune included

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ol_lukey
MS/Extra Newbie

cold startup issue. log and tune included

Post by ol_lukey »

put this off through the summer since it wasn't cold but time to give it another shot and get some help this time. I tried my best last winter to get my cold startup perfect but it just never happened.
usually cranks, catches, and dies right away the first time.. then fires right up on second crank. you'll see it in the log.
have tried more more/less crank pw (it may be on the high side right now, but less doesn't seem to help and I know more is too much)
have tried more/less cranking advance. it seems happiest at 10. any more and it kicks back
have tried more ase, doesn't seem to do a lot.
have added quite a bit of cranking pw from base tune.
my tune is good otherwise when running. it's an ms2 basic built by rev. all ive done otherwise is fix timing and autotune.

car is a late '95 miata with stock (250cc) injectors

so on that log.. it shows cranking, then shows running for a second and ase turns on, but afr stays lean. it then goes back to thinking it's cranking (although that may be because of lean afr) but i can t imagine why my afr would stay lean when my cranking pw are so high. it also doesn't make any sense to me that the second crank fires right up.

hoping someone more experienced might just be able to look at my log and tell me what's wrong.. willing to paypal enough for a six pack to anyone who can get it squared away. thanks
Attachments
2017-10-11_08.15.16.msl
log
(276.81 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
tune1011.msq
tune
(117.07 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: cold startup issue. log and tune included

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try raising the cranking RPM to 500 or so, so that it stays in the cranking range when it "sort of catches", then adjust the cranking pulse width from there.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ol_lukey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ol_lukey »

i worry about wear and tear cranking a cold engine at 500.. i know stock cranking isn't that high and id like it to start like stock. any other suggestions maybe?
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

ol_lukey wrote:i worry about wear and tear cranking a cold engine at 500.. i know stock cranking isn't that high and id like it to start like stock. any other suggestions maybe?
MS has no control over cranking speed.
Set this a few hundred RPM above your typical fast cranking speed.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
ol_lukey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ol_lukey »

Blown88GT wrote:
ol_lukey wrote:i worry about wear and tear cranking a cold engine at 500.. i know stock cranking isn't that high and id like it to start like stock. any other suggestions maybe?
MS has no control over cranking speed.
Set this a few hundred RPM above your typical fast cranking speed.
oooh so you're saying the "cranking RPM" setting isn't actually changing the cranking speed, it's just to let the MS know when the engine is cranking?

am at 350 now.. will try 500 when i get off work
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Yes and no.

The MS knows you are cranking when it sees a rpm signal.

The cranking rpm setting in TS tells the MS to switch to "run" mode when the rpm exceeds that setting.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
ol_lukey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ol_lukey »

ahhh just realized i was thinking about the cranking RPM setting backwards. thanks will try tonight after work
ol_lukey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ol_lukey »

heeey that seemed to help a lot. it was definitely happier at 500 yesterday, but seemed like it should be a little higher from the log. this morning i tried it at 650 at 46F and it started first crank with only a tiny stumble. it still dipped down below 650 for a second and gave a tiny sputter.. but at least i can manage it from here. thank you a lot for the tip. DM me your email and as promised I will deliver on the beer money.