MS2 bmw rt1200 settings

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

MS2 bmw rt1200 settings

Post by BEANY747 »

Hi all , I am new to all this but have been tasked with fitting a MS2 and Edis4 to an old Carb model BMWrt1200 engine ( motorcycle ), I have fitted the toothed wheel and pickup, 2 x injectors , throttle position , temp sensor. trying to set up on the dash board settings were good ,throttle all good then saved the project and now when I open it the warning comes up saying a setting is wrong , rectify and re boot !! the dash shows the engine rpm is flat out !!! Has anybody fitted this to a BMW Boxer engine before that could help me with the settings ? thanks Beany
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 bmw rt1200 settings

Post by grom_e30 »

post a copy of the tune file up
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

I run a BMW R100RT on MS, full sequential, turbo'd etc. I'd be happy to offer thoughts and advise on your project, I am however not familiar with a 1200RT having carbs stock.
Can you provide a bit more information on your bike. The scrambled rpm message generally means a configuration error on settings, see this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=31532

Other questions:
a) what toothed wheel and where mounted?
b) what sensor on your tone wheel (VR or Hall)
c) seeing as how EDIS4 has just that, 4 spark outlets for wasted spark on a 4 cylinder engine, how are you using that on a 2 cylinder (unless you have something other than the Boxer 2 cylinder going on here)
d) what throttle bodies (re-tasked BMW motorbike fuel injector bodies?)
e) what have you loaded for code, and it is MSExtra?
:msq:
Regards, Lorne

In edit, I suspect you are working on what is termed an "Oil Head" that already has fuel injection and Motronic control of things. Earlier beamers that sported carbs were named "Airheads" and are a much simpler format (but more involved to squirt).
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Well Beany, do you have a bonifide project going on, or just some trolling? (to see if help is offered by members on these forums)
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

R100RT wrote:Well Beany, do you have a bonifide project going on, or just some trolling? (to see if help is offered by members on these forums)

Hi Lorne

I do have a project !! i work in the Film industry doing Special Effects and I have the task of sorting 2 x Wind machines out . They are both fitted with what I believe are old BMW Airheads which were carbs, but now they have throttle bodies , I have fitted the 36 tooth 1 tooth missing wheel with sensor, it also has throttle position and Map sensor. I did try starting it as I have a spark , injectors are injecting and engine has compression ! but all i got was a back fire !!!! so i then started going through the tune and it was set for a 4 cylinder, so i changed it to 2 and now the engine RPM gauge is red and says its flat out and the message on screen says i have something wrong in the tune so correct it and reboot , but i dont know what i have wrong ??

Thanks

Mark
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

Hi Lorne

I do have a project !! i work in the Film industry doing Special Effects and I have the task of sorting 2 x Wind machines out . They are both fitted with what I believe are old BMW Airheads which were carbs, but now they have throttle bodies , I have fitted the 36 tooth 1 tooth missing wheel with sensor, it also has throttle position and Map sensor. I did try starting it as I have a spark , injectors are injecting and engine has compression ! but all i got was a back fire !!!! so i then started going through the tune and it was set for a 4 cylinder, so i changed it to 2 and now the engine RPM gauge is red and says its flat out and the message on screen says i have something wrong in the tune so correct it and reboot , but i dont know what i have wrong ??

Many thanks

Mark
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Hello Beany,

My apologize then, disregard that other message.
Perhaps you can post the msq (tune that you have attempted to use). This will help us go over settings and suss out the problem. Otherwise it is very hard to help you.
If you feel the engine is a 1200 size, that was never offered as a carb model that I am aware (and I follow the BMW motorbike line pretty closely). If it has throttle bodies on it then it may be a re-tasked oilhead 1200 which, depending on the year would have been fuel injected and electronic ignition (but controlled by a Motronic ecu which had/has its challenges). Can you provide any photos of this engine (may help narrowing things and bring solutions)
And again, as you have indicated utilization of Edis 4, that is something I've tried on a 2 cylinder boxer engine but it has problems. It wants to provide sparks for 4 cylinders, in the wasted spark format. That is where one cylinder is getting a spark with another of the 4 providing the wasted spark ground. In order to make that work on a 2 cylinder without gaining too frequent of sparks during the crank rotation, I had two dummy spark plugs threaded into a little housing, they would allow the Edis 4 to work but it was not a good system and overall the ignition was problematic. You would probably be better utilizing a couple of smart coils and trigger them directly from the MS (get rid of the Edis 4 which was okay but not needed now).
Again, the rpm message means there is a configuration error, probably to do with the Edis.
Regards,

Lorne
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

Hi

I will find out exactly what these engines are age ,cc etc

Thanks very much for you help

Mark
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

Hi

The engine number starts 122EB so it looks like a 1130cc motor ?

Mark
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

The next thing you need to do is post the MSQ. Otherwise, we can't help you in determining wrong settings etc.
:msq:
And pretty sure you'll need to stop using the EDIS4 components.
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

Lorne

Ok I will try to post the MSQ today

Mark
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

Oh my I cant see how to post MSQ !!

This whole forum thing is new to me and I really appreciate all you help !!!!

Mark
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

OK, the best thing on these procedures (and gaining a good understanding of MS) is to read the newest manuals that apply to your components and firmware, found back at the beginning of this folder MS2/Extra over at "see also MS2/Extra manuals" link) We're in the MSExtra2 sector here so I assume that is what you have loaded onto your microsquirt.
One fairly easy way to grab onto/ locate your current MSQ tune (there are many and I'll just list one) is as follows:
a) Have lap top connected to ecu and on.
b) At top menu bar, click on file and then "Save Tune As".
c) That takes you to a screen where you are able to apply a name to the "file name" line, as well you can choose where to save it, try Desktop. Click save
d) Now you have an MSQ file on your desktop & should be fairly easy to find when you create your next post and click down below on "Upload attachment". That will allow you to click on Browse, then make sure you're looking through "Desk Top" files (if not click on desk top on icons to left side). etc. etc.
e) Select the MSQ file you had saved there, it will show below on the box next to Browse now. Then click "Add the File" and its on the message you're doing here.
f) The above very basic but if you haven't done that sort of thing before it might seem a bit evasive.
Once you've uploaded the MSQ, then myself and others can load it ourselves to take a look at the settings you've chosen. There are very smart people here that will most likely offer a thought or two on what is going on with the project. I'll take a look as well, but am at work after all.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Also post a picture of the engine, might be helpful to figure out which engine this is.
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

There just aren't that many BMW Boxer engine arrangements and configurations out there. This is most likely a 1200 oilhead motor that comes with throttle bodies, Motronic, etc. That doesn't really matter now, because if it is a 2 cylinder engine, then Beany is not going to be able to utilize EDIS4 (I know, I've tried it) and that may very well have a lot to do with conflicting settings.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Install a resistor 2nd a second BIP373 in the MS2 and toss the EDIS module in the bin.

EDIS support is a legacy left over from when a v2.2 board had no ignition support.

An MS2 will natively drive an EDIS coil and accept input from the sensor directly.

Doing this will improve triggering accuracy and provide full MS feature support.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

sorry guys been busy with other things !

here is my current tune if you could give me some ideas as to whats wrong !!
Attachments
2017-10-30_14.25.45.msq
(89 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Did see something wrong on the required fuel calculation.
bmw rt1200 engine 350cc for 1 cilindre ?
Odd fire engine, are you sure ?
Injector flow, do know the type injector ?
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Agreed with LAV1000 - some problems on those settings, and Odd Fire.
You have indicated a 36/1 crank wheel - is that in fact something you have added to the engine, or are you connected to the original Hall sensors etc.?
And, as you had previously indicated, trying to use EDIS4 (which is made for a 4 cylinder engine), will not work on a 2 cylinder engine (unless you trick the parts to think they are on a 4 cylinder engine which this is not, or you modify the coil to somehow use half of it and work the wasted spark on appropriate outlets - but probably not a good idea).
I do not have an MSQ at work, could check against my settings later.
Stock Injectors? It should be 575cc per cylinder and I'd guess stock injectors to be about 30lb, requd fuel probably back down around 9ms, and dead time probably closer to 1ms. But that won't keep it from trying to start - the ignition components and settings choosen would.
BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BEANY747 »

Thanks for your replies Guys.
I have fitted the toothed wheel and sensor and its running the original coils, this is a twin spark motor so 2 plugs per cylinder, they are new Injectors as I believe it was Carbs before ? We don't know much about the motors history apart from they haven't run for a couple of years !!

As far as I can see the toothed wheel is set up correctly , The Injectors are Squirting , it has good compression , and the plugs are firing , but am sure its all out of time !!!

I should be back on this project for a couple of days soon so I should get my head around it properly and I will look at your suggestions with the tune, but I will be going back to basics first to check engine etc as I was told put this on and it will work straight away !!!! great some of these projects . Oh quick question , can you scrap a tune and start again with a sample or default tune ??

Many thanks guys