MS2 bmw rt1200 settings

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BEANY747
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS2 bmw rt1200 settings

Post by BEANY747 »

Just looking at what I actually have here , Its a Megasquirt Engine Controller V3 , which looks like you can do Ignition off it as well so I could throw the EDIC 4 away ????
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

I think there are too many variables in what you have going on there Beany, and we need to see photos of all these items to confirm components and not waste time. Otherwise the help being offered is going to be wrong or not apply :? .

Being a twin plug arrangement means other coil options become possible/ necessary, but you can't trigger directly off your controller as requested on the kit you have. The EDIS4 coil has posts for 4 plugs but is meant to fire a 4 cylinder "single plug" type engine in wasted spark arrangement. Perhaps read up on wasted spark technology, two cylinders are mated, and one fires a true spark for the compression stroke cylinder while the other provides a ground pathway via plug for the scavenge stroke cylinder.
Others have commented on this, but if you want to continue with the EDIS4 coil, then remove the EDIS control module (see attached photos) and fire the coil with a couple of BIP373 kits from your controller signal. This would then be tricking the coil into thinking it is providing wasted sparks for two cylinders with twin plugs - and the plug wire orientation needs to be correct to allow the coil to fire two compression sparks at a time while treating the scavenge cylinder as the wasted spark side (then visa/versa as the crankshaft rolls over 360). In other words, two ignition sparks on the compression cylinder while 2 wasted spark events over on the other cylinder which is on the scavenge/ non power stroke.
Or, you could start over with other coils (two of twin post wasted spark type) or for more complication, try sequential ignition using the resonant map signal as your cam sensor and go with 4 smart coils that will provide a spark only on compression stroke favoured by some on boosted applications, as myself)
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG (667.88 KiB) Viewed 231 times
COIL PACK
IMG_2943.JPG
IMG_2943.JPG (850.02 KiB) Viewed 231 times
CONTROL MODULE

Please post some photos.
Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Bump for a project update, what's happening on this one Beany?
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Beany, The MegaSquirt does do ignition, however it does not have high current drivers, it has logic level ignition outputs.
Given this you could choose a coil that has the high current driver built in.
There are VAG coils and Asian coils that provide this feature. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-IGNIT ... 1352545817
You can also pair up single plug coils like LS coils or DIY https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ign-1a-race-coil/

You can use a dual plug coil for both plugs of a single cylinder however you won't be able to run large plug gaps in that config.
I just finished a 93" Harley in this configuration using two stock HD coils (one per cylinder).

I like that Motorcraft coil however to use it you will need 2 high current drivers to fire it.
Given that it is a bike you also need to look at packaging, how much room you have for ignition output.
The VW coil I linked to might be the best choice, it is smaller than the Motorcraft and honors your Beemers German heritage and can be found as cheap as $19.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

MicroSquirt or MS2?
You may have other options.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.