Microsquirt V2 no serial communication

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Microsquirt V2 no serial communication

Post by turbosj413 »

Hello, I've just purchased a used microsquirt V2 and I'm having trouble trying to get it to talk to my laptop via serial port (no usb converter involved) its a known good port and works with 2 other microsquirt V3's, never had an issue. I've done a loop back test over 2 different cables and there is no problem there.. the microsquirt has good 12.7V power and is properly grounded, its giving 5v out on the vref wire so it appears to be alive? It will not no matter what I do give me any sort of signal on the laptop.. tried to load fresh firmware, grounded the bootloader wire.. the board looks very clean, nothing is burnt that's visible by eye.. previous owner says he had no issues with it.. I'm looking for help and what to try next.
tryingbe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Microsquirt V2 no serial communication

Post by tryingbe »

What's the baud rate at the com port?
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo MicroSquirted 367whp http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=67324
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

115200 .. also set it to 9600 and tried.. still no go
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

any other ideas? im using a brand new harness from diyautotune on this thing.. along with the serial - 2.5mm jack .. according to the pin out on the v2 board it should be no problem?
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Are the T&R swapped on your serial cable?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Does the fuel pump turn at key on ?
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

rickb794 wrote:Are the T&R swapped on your serial cable?
i dont think so but i tryed swapping them anyway.. no difference
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

Manu wrote:Does the fuel pump turn at key on ?
I will try this and update!
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

fuel pump out is switched on and stays on
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

The fuel pump in normal conditions should come on for 5 seconds when the ignition is first turned on then turn off. This brings the fuel system up to pressure so it is ready to squirt.

If the pump runs continuously something is wrong. Unplug the ms and see of the pump still runs when the key is on.

This is a safety issue, the pump should be controlled by the MS so it is not running with the motor not spinning.

When the MS sees the crank turning it turns the pump on.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

rickb794 wrote:The fuel pump in normal conditions should come on for 5 seconds when the ignition is first turned on then turn off. This brings the fuel system up to pressure so it is ready to squirt.

If the pump runs continuously something is wrong. Unplug the ms and see of the pump still runs when the key is on.

This is a safety issue, the pump should be controlled by the MS so it is not running with the motor not spinning.

When the MS sees the crank turning it turns the pump on.

this is just bench testing using a battery and volt meter.. no sensors hooked up ect.. i was thinking the reason the pump output stays switched on was due to a sensor fault (no sensors)? but reading deeper usually the pump circuit switches on and off constantly when in fault
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

If there is a configuration error the fuel pump will pulse on and off.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

It's look like your firmware is corrupted. Ground the "boot loader" wire to the same ground than the MS and try to flash a fresh firmware (using the adequate s19 file).

turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

Manu wrote:It's look like your firmware is corrupted. Ground the "boot loader" wire to the same ground than the MS and try to flash a fresh firmware (using the adequate s19 file).
Ive been trying to but I cant get my laptop to connect to it.. Ive tried with tunerstudio and also the ms "downloader" program.. im hoping im just missing something simple here..
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

Took a screen shot of what I'm getting using the ms2loader_win32 program .. ecu powered up, boot loader grounded.. no go
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (89.62 KiB) Viewed 734 times
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

port checker
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (44.04 KiB) Viewed 734 times
rukavina
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rukavina »

Start with usb-232 converter stuff. I know there is issue with some of the bootleg prolific ftdi chips. The drivers newer than 2009 (I think) have an extra bit that gets set when it thinks the Chip is fake and causes some issues. I found this out the hard way. And stumbled across an article about it.did you get any updates? Can you borrow an old serial equipped laptop? If the hardware don't work nothing will. Also Instead of #3 have you tried #1-default
4wheel drive 454 vortec on ms2 w/gpio for 4l80e Trans control
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

While rukavina is right with usb conveter, I'm unsure that it's your current problem solution. Since the fuel pump always operate I'm more in the way to say "you're processor is blank".

Did you ever see this ecu working ?

turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

rukavina wrote:Start with usb-232 converter stuff. I know there is issue with some of the bootleg prolific ftdi chips. The drivers newer than 2009 (I think) have an extra bit that gets set when it thinks the Chip is fake and causes some issues. I found this out the hard way. And stumbled across an article about it.did you get any updates? Can you borrow an old serial equipped laptop? If the hardware don't work nothing will. Also Instead of #3 have you tried #1-default
I normally use a panasonic toughbook for tuning which has a serial port, it does the exact same thing.. so i thought id try it on my home pc using a belkin F5U409 serial to usb converter which works with my other microsquirt setup no problem..
turbosj413
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbosj413 »

Manu wrote:While rukavina is right with usb conveter, I'm unsure that it's your current problem solution. Since the fuel pump always operate I'm more in the way to say "you're processor is blank".

Did you ever see this ecu working ?
never did see it working, bought used off a guy that had it on his drift car and is doing a LS swap.. he said there was never an issue with it but who knows for sure buying used parts! what can be done with a "blank processor" ?