Datsun timing jumps after cam install

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jhill280z
MS/Extra Newbie

Datsun timing jumps after cam install

Post by jhill280z »

I have a 280z that is running ms2 3.0 on an n/a L28. I just finished swapping the stock cam for a comp cams(Mfr. #: 84-131-6) and now I have an issue with the ignition advance both not matching between map and gauge and also with a ti ming light. If I have the advance at idle set at 20, the live gauge will read 6. And with the timing light I'll get somewhere around 10. When I took it for a drive the live gauge would continue to read about 14 less than the map until I came to a stoplight and then it started to match the map. It continued to do this for the rest of the drive occasially swapping back and forth. I have been running this ms2 for a couple of months and havent had this issue before this. I changed the camshaft only. The car ran fine during the very easy drive I took (never going over 3k rpms) just ran richer when ~14 degrees of timing come off the map.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Datsun timing jumps after cam install

Post by jsmcortina »

:msq:
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jhill280z
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jhill280z »

Sorry! I wanted to attach it but wasn't near my laptop at the time. My msq is attached now
Attachments
2017-11-13_18.11.40.msq
(119.27 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

24-2 CAS?

Fuel map is really rough
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
jhill280z
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jhill280z »

It is the diyautotune l28et distributor wheel that is "a 24-1-1 wheel that behaves like a 12-1 crank trigger"

Also this msq although admittedly rough is spots, ran and drove with very minimal issue for months up until I swapped the cam.
jhill280z
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jhill280z »

Does anyone have an idea
tryingbe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tryingbe »

Change the tooth number 1 angle until the timing you assign match what the timing gun says.
Attachments
timing.jpg
timing.jpg (296.26 KiB) Viewed 288 times
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo MicroSquirted 367whp http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=67324
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Also, The dist rotor needs to point straight at the #1 post of the cap at 25°BTDC lock the dist down there and all timing adjustments are done in the software.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
jhill280z
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jhill280z »

Thank you for the responses. I'm not sure if the IAT sensor is bad, but the Ms2 was intermittently applying full MAT correction which was set at 14 degrees. I changed the MAT correction to 0 across the board and I haven't had the problem since.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

If it's not boosted you should not be using MAT, and certainly not that much retard.
Combined with MAP based retard you would quickly be making your exhaust manifolds do a lava lamp imitation.