Does this cam signal look alright?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Does this cam signal look alright?

Post by Spiffy »

I'm using the diyautotune triggerwheel for the sr20 and have been running crank trigger with wasted cop for some time, now I have done the hardware mods to get cam signal for sequential fuel and ignition and this is the signal I'm getting but I'm not sure if it's correct so I haven't dared try and start it. ImageImage

Sent fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 via Tapatalk
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Does this cam signal look alright?

Post by elutionsdesign »

No, too many cam teeth. The "crank" looks fine with 11 teeth one missing but the cam should only be one per distributor revolution, you've got 4.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

Thanks, that's what I figured. Given the slot type tooth, shouldn't the pattern be more like I've drawn up here in orange? Image

2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

Spiffy wrote: shouldn't the pattern be more like I've drawn up here in orange?
no, composite logger only sees one edge either rising, or falling, depends on your settings.
your orange trace contains both rising and falling edge.
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
drumnbasslvr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by drumnbasslvr »

I am new and after the same goal as you are. Please elaborate more in your project. Which type of hardware are you on? How did you accomplish wasted spark? Did you use the factory igniter with it or the solder on bip's? Run ok? An outside reputable source says the voltage is split and results in a weaker spark if a factory igniter is used.

Back to your thread, I use settings of, from top to bottom: falling edge, going high, coil on plug, ign1, cam input, --, dual wheel missing tooth, 12, 1, degree number, crank wheel, poll level, low.
Perhaps messing with your second trigger active on setting can get it to be clear for you, that is one trigger per pair of 11 teeth passing. In better English that is 22 blue crank triggers for one green cam trigger.

Additional thought: wow that signal is clean for the cam, I'm experimenting with capacitors to bleed off false triggers to clean mine up, I'm at 100uf which doesn't seem right but works on screen. (diypnp 1.5) I have yet to time it while cranking to get my first start up. We'll see what unfolds for me.

Please take the time to answer everything I wrote. It will help tremendously.
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

Well first of I'm not running a sr20det, I'm only using the cas to run as a trigger on a Datsun Z20E engine, I'm running Toyota yaris coils with built in ignitors. Should work great on the sr20 as well.
Ecu is Ms2 extra, I didn't build it so I can't tell all the details of it other than it's setup with four injector drivers and four coil drivers (or triggers? For coils with built in ignitors).
Tunerstudio settings is probably same as you mentioned if its the same as on the diyautotune website.
For waste spark and semi sequential injection i have it set to wasted cop, single wheel with missing tooth as per the diyautotune instructions, and 2 squirts per engine cycle.

I have a 5V pullup for the cam signal with a 470 ohm resistor, also a 0.1uF capacitor between cam+ and ground. It cleaned up the signal great.
I wonder if I have found a clue or possibly the solution to this because when reading more on the matter the crank signal is supposed to have a 12V pullup via a 1k ohm resistor. I have it connected to the 5V line, same as the cam signal, so maybe the fact they're both connected to the same 5v feed is having some impact on the signal. I'm gonna rewire it today correctly and see if it helps. Fingers crossed!

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

One basic problem is that crank is falling edge and cam is rising edge. Flip the polarity on one signal and you'll probably be good
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

prof315 wrote:One basic problem is that crank is falling edge and cam is rising edge. Flip the polarity on one signal and you'll probably be good
I can try that first, I've just set it up like it said on the diyautotune page where; second trigger active on->rising edge.

EDIT: nope that didn't seem to help much...

Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

After trying a new sensor and running it with my cordless drill I got this, and got my hopes up only to have them crushed as soon as I try to crank the car, then the signal goes haywire with several dips in the course of a revolution. So I wonder if it's a shielding issue, something interfering with the signal. But why only the cam signal? Why isn't the crank signal affected when both wires run the same course?
Anyway I went back to semi sequential and will get new shielded wiring before I try again ImageImage