Do I have a decent trigger?

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Do I have a decent trigger?

Post by lukej »

So today I got some feedback from the VR crank sensor on my Beetle, wired the sensor to pins 1+ 24 with the shielding connected to pin 2 (all soldered)
MS2 V3.0 Extra code 3.2.1

36-1
Tach input set to 'Basic Trigger' although I have tried 'Toothed Wheel' too.

r52 and r56 wound fully anti clockwise
Connected to the laptop it was showing ~18000rpm at idle
Tweaked r56 until defined teeth are shown in tooth log and composite log and I think I cleaned it up with r52. Nice and steady but only showing 460 rpm or so (1/2) what it should be.

I think I've attached a log... first timer :oops:
Tooth log.csv
(335.35 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Does it look like I have a usable trigger at that? any reason why I am seeing 1/2 rpm?

Thanks for your time guys :)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Do I have a decent trigger?

Post by grom_e30 »

set it to missing tooth wheel if its a 36-1. log looks ok btw
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

So
Basic Setup > Ignition options > Spark mode (dizzy, EDIS, wheel)?
'Missing Tooth' isn't an option in there...

Thanks for looking at the file :)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

spark mode = toothed wheel

trigger wheel arrangement= single wheel missing tooth

trigger wheel teeth=36
missing teeth=1
wheel speed = crank or cam depending on setup

the rest of the settings will depend specifically on your spark hardware eg no of coils spark output used and the tooth #1 angle ect
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

Ah got ya.
So I set it up as you say... Idle is still 18k rpm or something daft...
Oddly, when I did a little RPM sweep up to maybe 4k and back down at one point it did start reading about what I would have expected... I saw 3xxx rpm flash up which makes me think it's nearly right :D
I have attached a few more logs, if you could have a quick look that'd be awesome :)
Composite.csv
(537.79 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Composite rev sweep.csv
(1016.89 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Tooth log.csv
(46.57 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

Tooth log rev sweep.csv
(41.1 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

I updated the firmware... Just to rule out anything there... now running 3.4.2 and guess what...
Trigger is working perfect :yeah!:

I only ran it up to 4000 RPM or so as it scares me a bit going higher than that :oops:
But looking good... Now onto the next mystery tour.

Thanks again for your input Grom.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you appear to be triggering off the wrong edge rising/falling, in the tooth logs you can see this by the long tooth having a longish tooth next to it. switch the edge and it should get rid of the longish bar
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

Ah ok good spot... It is likely seeing as I did flip that option at least once :D

Wired the coil in.
Fords edis coil (minus the EDIS)
Left wire to Spark A (IGN which is pin 37)
Middle wire to switched live from the standard coil
Right wire to Spark B (IAC2B which is pin 31)

With the engine running still on the distributor but the new coil wired in I got sparks on all 4 plugs... Ms doing what it should so far. So I slipped the ht leads off the ford coil onto the engine and tried to start it up.
When cranking though I have no tach input. I dropped cranking rpm down to 500rpm (from 650) but still nothing.

I have called it at that, getting dark here and the battery is probably a little tired.

Any ideas why I am missing the trigger when cranking? Is that a matter of fiddling with the trigger/hysteresis pots again?

Cheers.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

may well be a case of adjusting the pots, usually cranking it is harder to see the vr signal especially at a lower engine speed.

have you got the correct tooth #1 angle set? if this is not correct you will get the spark happening at the wrong time
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

Well that's something I've just been scratching my head over...
I put a black mark on the pulley around 5 o'clock where the missing tooth is. The Sensor is at 90º 3 o'clock

If the sensor was at tdc the offset would be ~130º. With the sensor being 90º ATDC I think the offset should be 40º
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

OK so I have tried 230º and 320º... No joy. It's back fired once or twice...

I think my problem is still trigger offset... With the pulley at TDC it has to rotate 230° before it sees tooth #1
Or 90º as the sensor isn't at TDC
Have I got that wrong?

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if that pick is with the engine at tdc with clock wise crank rotation and each red line represents a tooth on the trigger wheel sensor is over the 5th tooth so that would make the tooth #1 in the region of 40 or so degrees
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

To me that pic looks like it should be rotated 90° clock wise so as not to confuse anyone......I don't think that's TDC.

In the one pic you said the sensor is at 90º 3 o'clock.......but in the other pic you have it as 12 o'clock.
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

Don't worry about where the pulley is in relation to that engine block... Its the only head on photo I have...
With the engine and pulley at tdc the sensor is at 3 o'clock

40° OK so I went the wrong way... I'll try it :D
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

No joy at 40º...
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you can still run the engine with the dizy you could then set the ecu to fixed timing 0btdc and run the engine and use a timing light on the ecu controlled no1 plug lead to check the tooth #1 tdc mark should line up with strobe light if its correct.

is it still having trouble syncing up when cranking??

edit: post a copy of the current tune so we can see what your working with here
lukej
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lukej »

It lives :yeah!:

Someone on another forum has the same trigger wheel as me... They have theirs set at 52º, I went out and tried that with no joy... I got the engine running again on the distributor and checked timing against my Ford coil... Found No1, no 2 etc and paired them up

plug

And hey presto...

Grom, that bar I was getting before the missing tooth... Turns out I had the sensor wired backwards. I changed rising/falling edge and lost the trigger, changed polarity of the sensor and bingo- cleaner trigger
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

nice one. now it runs you should use the strobe light out and dial in the tooth #1 to make sure the spark timing is correct

changing from rising / falling should have the same effect as switching the sensor wires btw