No fuel pump signal from the MS. Followup.

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

No fuel pump signal from the MS. Followup.

Post by 107merc »

Everything works fine with the JimStim connected, FP light flashes when the J/S is first turned on then stays on
if I increase the RPM's. If I ground pin 37 0n the cable connector with the cable disconnected, the circuit works fine
so the wiring to the relay is correct. The MS has power with key on as I can turn on the electric fan through IAC1.
Attach the cable to the MS and turn on the key and no FP signal. What did I miss when setting up??
Any info appreciated.
Last edited by 107merc on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No fuel pump signal from the MS.

Post by rickb794 »

The fuel pump is not turned on until the MS sees the crank turn.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

Thanks for responding.
I thought the fuel pump lead would send a momentary ground to the FP relay when the key was turned to "on" to pressurize the system
then stay on when it sees a crank signal. Actually we tried cranking and it made no difference. Tried enabling inj/spk
in test mode and turning "on" the pump, "ready" light comes on but circuit doesn't. Same thing with I/O test mode and pump turned "on".
Tested the circuit path from the connector to the FP relay and there is no resistance. Am I correct in thinking that if everything
works when using the Jim/Stim the MS is working correctly?? If so it must be in my wiring. Should specify, the FP lead turns on a relay which sends 12V to a
fuse strip. The FP is fused and connected thru there along with other circuits. The FP relay does not come on.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

If the FP light on the stim illuminates, then yes the MS is fine.
You are aware that the MS switches GND to the relay, not 12V right?

Have you put a multi from 12V to the FP output to see if you can see it switch in the car?
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Did you use a DIY labeled harness or did you make your own?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Not sure what MS you have. If it is one with a V3 PCB, best way to check is to remove the processor, then install MS in the car. Apply 5v to Pin 33 of the processor socket (make sure you count correctly) The pump should run. That tests both the pump relay driver circuit on the V3 board and your wiring.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

So we started this morning by verifying, again, the MS worked with the J/S and the FP circuit worked by grounding pin 37.
Still no joy when we connected the cable to the MS. Decided to make a test cable with a spare DB37 I had using
only pin 28 for +12v in and pin 37 thru a VOM to ground for out. Saw a ground pulse when the MS was powered up so connected the cable back to the MS
and turned on the key. Everything worked. Absolutely the worst kind of fix because I have no idea why it decided to work.
One minor question, I had assumed the inj lamps on the J/S would light, with the RPM set to off, if I enabled and pulsed from inj/spk test mode.
Not so??
Anyway, thanks for the interest and Happy Holidays.
107merc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 107merc »

107merc wrote:So we started this morning by verifying, again, the MS worked with the J/S and the FP circuit worked by grounding pin 37.
Still no joy when we connected the cable to the MS. Decided to make a test cable with a spare DB37 I had using
only pin 28 for +12v in and pin 37 thru a VOM to ground for out. Saw a ground pulse when the MS was powered up so connected the cable back to the MS
and turned on the key. Everything worked. Absolutely the worst kind of fix because I have no idea why it decided to work.
One minor question, I had assumed the inj lamps on the J/S would light, with the RPM set to off, if I enabled and pulsed from inj/spk test mode.
Not so??
Anyway, thanks for the interest and Happy Holidays.
Went out Friday to continue programming, turned on the key, nothing!! After some choice words, checked my notes to see what was the very last thing we did Wednesday,
turned out to be tightening the screws on the cable connector to the MS to hold it in place. Loosened the screws, everything worked, moved the cable around on, off, on, off.
removed the connector cover and all is well with pin 37. tested the circuit from the connector to the relay, all well. Tried plugging in the connector without the cover, on, off, etc.
Connected the old MS to the cable, everything's fine. Wiggled the connector, plugged it in and out, no problem. Decided to test the new MS on the bench with the Jim/Stim,
everything works. Should be an interesting e-mail exchange with DIY Autotune Monday. At least I know where the problem is and won't be stranded 30 miles from home
when it decides to stop working.