Microsquirt V8 MOD wasted spark batch fuel boosted

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

phillyc77
MS/Extra Newbie

Microsquirt V8 MOD wasted spark batch fuel boosted

Post by phillyc77 »

Hi guys, I should have my 5.4 based 349ci "Boss349" MOD motor assembled in the next few weeks. It uses my Boss349 brand 6.669" stroker rods. The shop would like to run it in and for me to do the tuning on their Engine dyno.

Basically I've been looking at the MS3X and use two Quad Spark boxes and the factory Ford Modular COPs. I was attracted by the sequential spark and fuel for a V8.

However for cost reasons I'm leaning to the Microsquirt. I will also buy the Tuner studio registered to get the auto-tune feature amongst other things. I'd like to put the money to a newer laptop with a good size screen to replace the one that died.

Engine Build details are
* 349ci (3.572" bore * 4.358" stroke)
* Ported 4V / DOHC heads (320/240cfm)
* 232/232 0.468/0.468" cams
* 1 7/8" Long tubes
* Aussie Boss intake 10.5" runners
* 100# injectors
* E85 fuel
* 11.1cr

Aiming for about 520-550hp/460tq NA. But will also add an intercooled Paxton Novi 1500SL and shooting for 900hp/800tq at about 14# boost.

My concern is mostly with the large injectors and batch fuel. I do also want to be able to live tune the engine and not have to shut down and load up changes. Will the micro be suitable?

Thanks for reading. Hope you can help.
Phil
phillyc77
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Microsquirt V8 MOD wasted spark batch fuel boosted

Post by phillyc77 »

I bought the Megasquirt3X instead of the cheaper Microsquirt. The concern was the batch fuelling.

In addition to the higher ECU cost I needed to buy not just a MS3 cable but the additional MS3X cable. Plus two Ignition boxes instead of one for sequential ignition. Pretty much it doubled my spend. Hopefully it's worth it!
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

I'll offer a comment which will probably see very little agreement from others. It has to do with running wasted spark on certain engines having high induction pressures where a potential for cross firing of the "wasted" side can occur under the right conditions of cam overlap, ignition retard under high boost, and fuel charge pushing into the scavenge side cylinders. This is documented by Hugh McGinnis in his old "Turbo Charging" book from several years back. I witnessed this on my boxer engine with carbon tracks back up the inlets but more importantly, an increase in performance once I switched to sequential ignition. For a highly boosted engine that would always now be my recommendation - but again just an opinion.
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

hopefully im not to late to comment on this but ford cop coils do not get along well with bip373 transistors( aka quadspark). they go into current limiting around .6 ms dwell. i have bought some fairchild igbts in a to220 package that meet similar specs that ford used in their ecu's but never got around to testing them
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Are the Ford COP low impedance?

Ouchie! I have some Duratec coils (marked EE03A-12A366-AA I was saving to use .5 ohm primaries!!!!!!
That is like some of the MSD stuff, Capacitive Discharge style.
Probably not compatible.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

rickb794 wrote:Are the Ford COP low impedance?

Ouchie! I have some Duratec coils (marked EE03A-12A366-AA I was saving to use .5 ohm primaries!!!!!!
That is like some of the MSD stuff, Capacitive Discharge style.
Probably not compatible.
not sure of the duratec coils but all 4.6-5.4-6.8 and tfi coils dont get along well with bip373's. they are not cd or true inductive but somewhere inbetween. the have constant 12v and a switching ground. i guess they like a short strong slap of 12v.

the coyote coils do work fine with the quadspark though
phillyc77
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by phillyc77 »

ashford wrote:hopefully im not to late to comment on this but ford cop coils do not get along well with bip373 transistors( aka quadspark). they go into current limiting around .6 ms dwell. i have bought some fairchild igbts in a to220 package that meet similar specs that ford used in their ecu's but never got around to testing them
I'm back to this project. Trying to keep the cost down by using what I've got. What about Accel Supercoil 140034? I have a set of them from a motor I bought. They are a direct fit, so I'm guessing they'll be not suitable too. Thanks Phil
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Accel Supercoil 140034

from summits web page

Primary Resistance: 0.620 ohms
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
phillyc77
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by phillyc77 »

Thinking will go LS truck coils part no. D585 / UFC262.

I won't need the Quad spark boxes now.

Thanks for your help people!
phillyc77
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by phillyc77 »

phillyc77 wrote:Thinking will go LS truck coils part no. D585 / UFC262.

I won't need the Quad spark boxes now.

Thanks for your help people!
Got the BF Falcon home a month ago.
About to buy those LS coils.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2600586733

Looking to buy MSD 8.5mm spark lead roll.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-34019/

What boots would I need to use to get down deep in the head, just use a normal parallel / straight and push it way down in there?!