Baro Correction Microsquirt

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ajg193
MS/Extra Newbie

Baro Correction Microsquirt

Post by ajg193 »

Hi guys,

Quick question here:

With barometric correction on a microsquirt using a second MAP sensor exposed to atmospheric pressure, what does one need to do with regards to the correction table?

Ie, with the correction table just being 100% for all barometer kPa, does this mean that no correction is applied anywhere or that no correction is applied to some built in correction model within the code?

Assuming that it 100% across the table means no correction at all, do I just adjust the correction at idle for different altitudes to maintain constant idle AFR and assume this correction is appropriate across the entire map? Or is there a more suitable load condition tuning baro correction?

Thanks
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Baro Correction Microsquirt

Post by jsmcortina »

Thete's no hidden or built-in correction in current firmware. It is all in the curve. 100% does indeed mean no correction and yes you will need to adjust it to work on your engine.

Ideally adjust during normal driving rather than just idle.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
ajg193
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ajg193 »

All good, thanks. I took the car up a 400 metre or so hill today and did a little bit of tweaking with the baro table. Looks like about 0.7% less fuel needed to maintain the same idle up there.

I've got a long trip coming up this week (1200 km or so) with a few climbs to above 1000 metres above sea level (normal tune at sea level) so it should be a good opportunity to come up with a reasonable baro table.

Just out of interest, why is the standard barometric correction table just 100%? Do all engines generally require significantly different corrections?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

ajg193 wrote:Just out of interest, why is the standard barometric correction table just 100%? Do all engines generally require significantly different corrections?
That's a looooong story. If you have a few (many) hours to spend (waste), you can do a search on the forum on the subject of baro correction...

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
ajg193
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ajg193 »

I have discovered that :lol: Been philosophizing and googling all day about the many possible variables that affect fuel requirements with a change in altitude.

I'm actually amazed that carburetors do such a good job of keeping an engine running in such extremes 'straight out of the box'.

Looks like this should be an interesting problem to tackle.
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

ajg193 wrote:I'm actually amazed that carburetors do such a good job of keeping an engine running in such extremes 'straight out of the box'
I doubt that, I think it's more likely because one rarely measures Lambda with carbs. For different altitudes on my bike for example, different jettings are recommended by the manufacturer.
My project: Link
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

I've been doing this also.
racingmini_mtl wrote: If you have a few (many) hours to spend (waste), you can do a search on the forum on the subject of baro correction...

Jean
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board