Overfuleing since upgrading from MS1Extra to MS2Extra

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

CycloneKit
MS/Extra Newbie

Overfuleing since upgrading from MS1Extra to MS2Extra

Post by CycloneKit »

Hi, I have an issue since upgrading from MS1Extra to MS2Extra.

Engine is vauxhall 2.0 16v, with motorbike throttle bodies and EDIS. Been running MS1Extra for 7yrs+. Decided to upgrade to MS2 using the same V3 board, so made the required hardware changes with the only issue being a pre-existing dry joint on the VR circuit which I fixed and megastim showed everything was working.

I created a new project using tunerstudio and manually converted the fuel and ignition tables across, and copied the other engine settings across, so not looking to get any new features working, initially I was just hoping for a like-for-like change. However, with the new map fuel'ing is very rich, car will start and idle's okay but it is running with an AFR between 10-11 and under any load it is too rich for the sensor to read. I've tried reducing the fuel in the VE table, but where I required values of around 22 in the table previously I'm down to a value of 12 and it's still rich so I think there is something else wrong but I am struggling to understand where to look. I am assuming there is something wrong with my MSQ as I wouldn't think the hardware changes to the ignition circuit between MS1 & MS2 could cause this effect, but I don't know where to look.

I have attached the original MS1Extra msq file and the new MS2Extra msq file as well as a datalog but any advice on what to start looking for would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Attachments
CurrentTune.MS2Extra.msq
New MS2Extra msq file
(115.93 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
CurrentTune.MS1Extra.msq
Original MS1Extra msq file
(49.17 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
2018-01-20_16.15.14.msl.zip
Data Log
(207.28 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Overfuleing since upgrading from MS1Extra to MS2Extra

Post by 2swe »

the ms2 .msq doesn't match the datalog.

the last (most right) collumn in your VE table should be 7000 not 700 RPM, I don't know how it affects MS, but 3D wiev in TS is distorted.

I'd start new tune from scratch using ITB mode..
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
CycloneKit
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by CycloneKit »

Thanks for spotting the 700/7000 mistake. I don't think that it is effecting anything yet. I am considering moving to ITB mode but I need to get to the bottom of this problem first.

I was convinced there was something wrong with the settings in my MSQ but it has now occurred to me if I am getting noise on the VR circuit then I wonder if that could cause it to over-read the engine RPM. When I made the hardware changes for MS2 I adjusted the R52 and R56 pot's at idle using a very cheap single probe e-bay oscilloscope which I bought years ago but to be honest it kept loosing the signal so I'm now doubting if they are adjusted correctly. Perhaps I need to invest in something a bit more reliable and rule out a problem there. Could noise in the VR circuit cause it to inject too much fuel? Although I didn't notice any problem in the recorded RPM, which I would have thought would happen if that was the case.

Thanks,
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

2swe wrote:the ms2 .msq doesn't match the datalog.

the last (most right) collumn in your VE table should be 7000 not 700 RPM, I don't know how it affects MS,
It could easily scramble the table lookup.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
CycloneKit
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by CycloneKit »

Thank-you 2swe and James. As you suggested it was the incorrect fuel table column which was causing the over-fueling. I can't believe I didn't see it.

Thanks again. Trevor