Does the MS control coil negative ??

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Does the MS control coil negative ??

Post by summerlint51 »

To Rich, about the capacitors, that picture was taken to send to PFTuning, who replaced the caps and redid the runs. Prior to that the MSSquirt was dead and was only in limp in mode. If you could build one and have the proper cable connector adapter a lot of rialta owners would be knocking on your door.
Other rialta owners said they were not willing to rewire anything and would just pay 1k plus for a refurbed VW one. Plug and play. Oscar
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Oscar, have you checked the bottom of the unit for a serial number?

You can tell by the pics this is a non oem coil (gm style connectors).
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Paul_VR6 wrote: You can tell by the pics this is a non oem coil (gm style connectors).
yeah that's a first gen GM Vortec V6/V8 coil and ignition module (with some really UGLY wiring )
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by summerlint51 »

Well i could cut the cable going to the old igniter, lose the brown ground and go straight to this coil i got a few days ago it is from Herko labled B024.
Here is the website link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Herko-B024-Ign ... Ie&vxp=mtr

oscar
summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by summerlint51 »

TO Paul Vr6
Nothing on outside of case, new pics from today. I have a solid 5vdc on the triggerwire for coil from the squirt. Does not move regardless of hall effect sensor and when cranking. Very dim and fast blinking lites on the front of mssquirt when I turn the key on. Oscar
Attachments
MSsquirt 2    2 10 2018.jpg
MSsquirt 2 2 10 2018.jpg (454.11 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
MSSquirt 2 10 2018.jpg
MSSquirt 2 10 2018.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

One thing to make sure if you reloaded a default msq is that you have spark on d14 (not js10) and that the ignition output edge is correct (use the tooltip for advise) you are using led with a coil with ignition amp not direct fire.

Also make sure nothing from the coil other than the trigger, power and ground. That 4th wire seems suspect.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by summerlint51 »

Sorry Paul I need your beginner class, but where would i get a default msq, and would that prevent the lights from being on on the m/b? I thought of power, but I can t/s the relay all is good and I can also feel it clik when key is turned on. I also have 5 volts on the trigger, (coil connector removed and probing front part of connector. So I am pretty sure the ms is ok, and maybe the tune I had previously got corrupted. On the top of my laptop screen is says: Tuner Studio MS lite v 3.0.28-First Try 12 262017 (MS2/Extra release 3.2.4.20120901 22:00BST (c)KC/JSM?JB MS2) EFI Simplified
I know that First Try is my msq, should this be a default tune?
Your help is greatly appreciated. Oscar
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Probably easiest to host the msq and I can take a look. I wasn’t sure if you were using the tune that came with the camper or you had loaded something else.
If d14 is selected for spark it changes how the led closest to the serial connector behaves.
-Paul
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

summerlint51 wrote:where would i get a default msq
It is included within the firmware zipfile. You can get that from the 'Downloads' link above.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Don't you get a new (default) MSQ when you open a new project in TS?

You would then use the TS msq and overwrite the ECU msq when you connect to the ECU?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

rickb794 wrote:Don't you get a new (default) MSQ when you open a new project in TS?

You would then use the TS msq and overwrite the ECU msq when you connect to the ECU?
Nope... you still have to manually Load a Tune.

You could of course start from Scratch and Load the Default Tune from the Firmware Update folder. You can then Import the old Tables.

Summerlint51: You should probably update your Firmware to the Latest version. 3.4.2. You are on a fairly old Firmware. 3.2.4 is shown in header. Quite a few bug fixes and improvements since that version.
summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by summerlint51 »

Sorry my luck when trying to do suggested things now laptop will not communicate with controller. Only a microsecond blink of lights on me when I turn key to on. Windows and portcheck find the USB on laptop but won't connect to ms. Jeez I am so tired of this, if it wasn't raining here (Jacksonville) I would cut the grass.
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

summerlint51 wrote:Sorry my luck when trying to do suggested things now laptop will not communicate with controller. Only a microsecond blink of lights on me when I turn key to on. Windows and portcheck find the USB on laptop but won't connect to ms. Jeez I am so tired of this, if it wasn't raining here (Jacksonville) I would cut the grass.
You have to make sure that the Com settings ( Properties ) for your USB port are the same in TS and in Windows Device Manager. Makes sure the Baud rates are set to the same inn Both. For a USB ports the Port should be 115,200 Baud . There is a FAQ on the Port settings.

BTW, always try and Use the same USB port. Changing Ports sometimes results in the wrong Default setting in Windows .
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

You may be bumping up against an issue I have seen with Tuner Studio, if you disconnect the USB TS will not re-establish the connection.

I would have to restart TS to reconnect.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by summerlint51 »

If anyone remembers me and this post I am back and still without the rv running. I sent out the ms2 for repair again and they replaced another diode somewhere. So i am back to square one. coil still not firing i have the 5vdc reference voltage to the hall effect and it does ground out when cranked but no change on the center of the coil wire, it just stays 5 vdc wihtout change while cranking. As all that replied told me that the ms is the only thing in between so hopefully we can start anew.

I am attaching the msq file,

thank you so much
Oscar
Attachments
2019-04-13_20.41.38.msq
(117.75 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by summerlint51 »

If I may allow me to reiterate the basic of my VW.
1996 VW 2.5l Eurovan, 5cyl, fuel injectors, normal old style distributor, NO cop, in distributor is hall effect sensors that applies a grd to the msextra,,which then sends a ground to the coil, which then fires the coil to the rotor on to the plugs.
My problem that i am not seeing the change at the coil, the distributor changes when the hall effect window opens and closes.
For reference here are the voltages i have taken.

At the hall effect connector
NO power (key off) MS unplugged all connections are zero.
Key on, MS disconnected. negative reads .03vdc, ecm control 0vdc, positive .03vdc
Key on MS connected . negative reads .27vdc, ecm control 4.35vdc, positive 5.15vdc
When fully connected and hall effect rotating the ecm control 4.35 vdc goes to zero, then back up to 4.35 (eliminating distributor as a cause.

At the three pin connector at the coil.
NO power (key off) MS unplugged all connections are zero
Key on, ms disconnected. negative reads .02vdc, ecm control wire 0vdc, positive 12.45
Key on MS connected . negative reads .0vdc, ecm control 5.14vdc, positive 12.45vdc
When fully connected and hall effect rotating the 5.14vdc never changes in value.

One other thing is i took the coil wire and put it close to the ground and when I turned the ignition switch on it did fire but only once, never with the engine rotating. Copying exovcds techniques on youtube VW T4 2.5L No start / no spark

Would you think this is a ms extra programming error?
Thank you, Oscar
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Do you have a 36-1 wheel in your distributor?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

A 5 cylinder engine requires a cam trigger because the ECU cannot deal with 2.5 ignition events per rev. You need to fix that.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
summerlint51
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by summerlint51 »

ty for replys, i believe the default tune had the spark mode set at edis, should i change it to basic trigger. I found this explaing it. https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Distributor would setting it to basic triggerthen allow the coil to fire?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Basic trigger will work with a 5 cylinder engine with a distributor as long as you do have a basic trigger signal (5 equally spaced pulses at cam speed, in your case).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum