MS2 and HEI8 conversion (from fuel only)

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

toyotaspeed90
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS2 and HEI8 conversion (from fuel only)

Post by toyotaspeed90 »

I have an MS1 V3.0 that I upgraded to MS2. The MS1 was built as fuel only following the megamanual instructions.

I ordered the HEI upgrade kit - and the instructions are sparse to say the least, and seem to not apply to my situation all that well:

This is the instructions:
Remove the TachSelect to OptoIn jumper, and the XG1-XG2 jumper. You won’t need them anymore while running HEI ignition.
The Red (resistor) wire runs from the #3 pin (OptoIn) to the 5v Pin near the MS2 Daughterboard.
The Green (no resistor) wire runs from the TachSelect pin (middle of JP1) over to the XG1 pin.
That’s it. But for the more visually inclined learners, how about a video?

First of all - I don't have an XG1-XG2 jumper. In following the suggested instructions, I have XG1 running to a spare slot on the DB37, and out to the distributor as a ground. I would assume I would clip this, but at this point I'm not 100%

Secondly, the next instruction just says "from the #3 pin (OptoIn)"..... just would like clarification - just install a header pin on OptoIn and ignore the "#3 pin" - since the comment of "#3 pin" could apply to a number of places on the board... I assume this means that OptoIn just runs to #3 on the DB37...

So basically remove my XG1 jumper to the DB37, add a header pins to:
XG1, OptoIn, 5V near the test section, and TachSelect - then just run the colored wires from the kit appropriately?
toyotaspeed90
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 and HEI8 conversion (from fuel only)

Post by toyotaspeed90 »

Nobody?

This is what I'm referencing:
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... efi/part2/
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

The correct manual to use is the Extra Manual.
Reading a manual other than the Extra manual will likely cause brain damage.

http://www.msextra.com/manuals
If you look at the bottom of the manual page you will find links to archived versions of the old Extra manual that will help with a v2.2 board

Why do you want to use an HEI module?
Generally an HEI module was used with a MS1 because there was no ignition output on the v2.2 board.

There are a number of different ways to employ an HEI module.
Which HEI module are you planning to use?

If you have a v3.0 board you only need the HEI as a possible signal source because the v3.0 board has an Ignition coil driver.

What you are trying to do is not apparent and you may get bad advice if I guess.
The manual shows many ways to do things although they may not be ideal or may not fully support MS2 features.
So what motor are you working on and what parts do you plan to work with?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
toyotaspeed90
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toyotaspeed90 »

As said above, this is a V3.0 board.

It was MS1 and I bought an MS2 daughterboard - it was running fuel only and I was getting nasty noise from the mechanical distributor/coil - so used the MS2 upgrade for the noise filter.

Car is a 1970 Toyota Landcruiser
Engine is a 1975 350/5.7L with an Edelbrock manifold, adapter, and 350 TBI (with the smaller 305 injectors, not by choice, but what I have). and an LC2 wideband.

It was fuel only, so only receiving the coil neg signal. As indicated previously, I have XG1 jumpered to SPR4 - which has a ground coming from the distributor to the ECU (the wiring for that is a twisted pair of shielded cable).

Only other modifications are:

MS2 upgrade jumpers
8 pin holder for U4 (I had an issue earlier in the project)

I'm going with an HEI module because I want to go with ignition control, and have better ignition signals than the coil negative. I have a brand new HEI (8 pin) Chevy V8 distributor.

Want simplicity and inexpensive replace-able parts (I don't want to go EDIS, for instance... which I have experience with going back circa 2004 for an MR2 I had on MS) as this is more of a fun/off road vehicle.
toyotaspeed90
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toyotaspeed90 »

Appears the instructions in the MS Extra manual for fuel only are the same as what I followed, and have in place:

Fit a 36V Zener Diode in reverse into position D2. Note, the Zener Diode must be fitted backwards, so the
strip on the diode is the opposite end to the stripe on the main board! (This component is part of the kit from
good suppliers)b) Ensure C30 is fitted. (This is needed for noise elimination)c) Ensure D1 is fitted.d) Ensure R12 is fitted (390R 1/2W)e) Solder a jumper from XG1 to XG2. In exceptionally noisy situations it might be required to remove that jumper
and instead runs XG1 out through a spare connection on the DB37 and through the wiring harness direct to the
engine.f) Link TACHSELECT to OPTOINg) Link TSEL to OPTOOUT

However - now I want to make it work for the HEI system.... still reading....

Only referenced the DIY auto tune link above because it's the exact scenario I'm looking to do...
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

You will not need the Zener diode but you can leave it in place, I think.

The difference is although you may be using the HEI the MS will not be being triggered by the spark output it will be triggered another method depending on what you intend to use and how.

So you will need to remove only the parts that interfere with the new setup.
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
toyotaspeed90
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toyotaspeed90 »

I'm just going to follow the DIY Auto Tune article.....

2 reasons:
1) Most of us probably get our parts from them - they are reputable, and if they're both making a 'kit' and have a detailed article on it, I assume it's trustworthy information
2) The "modifications" needed are really just removing jumpers, adding header pins - then connect the wires to the header pins. I added additional header pins (from where I removed the jumpers) so, if needed, I can revert back to my fuel only very simply - just jumper the header pins.