Microsquirt Honda FL400R Pilot

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rotaryboots
MS/Extra Newbie

Microsquirt Honda FL400R Pilot

Post by rotaryboots »

I've begun the project of fuel injecting my FL400R Honda Pilot, which is a single cylinder, 400cc, two-stroke buggy. It's normally a Carburated, reed valve, CDI engine. I'm creating this thread as a way to keep track of my progress as well as gain insight and answers to questions I may have along the way.

For now, I'm going to be running this setup as a fuel-only system.

The parts list so far include:
Microsquirt ECU
2010 CBR250R 38mm Throttle Body (Integrated: TPS, MAP, IAT, IAC, Injector) The injector is factory 25lb @ 43.5psi and 30lb at 60psi. I'm aware that this may not be enough fuel long term.
2010 CBR250R Engine harness (Modified with Microsquirt ECU Connector)
2010 CBR250 CLT Sensor
Suzuki LTR 450 Fuel Pump Assembly or Walbro GSL414
Suzuki LTR 450 Fuel Pressure Regulator
Ford or Chevy LT MAF
MSD 8918 Tach Signal GMR Pickup (Needed if I can't get a clean signal from the factory Hall-Effect Pulsar Coil)
Custom adapters and bracketry as-needed

I chose the CBR components because it was the only throttle body which would fit my intake <40mm, and integrate most of the sensors. I'm using the harness and CLT simply for ease of use regarding the connectors. I chose the LTR fuel system because it's low amperage, designed for ATV use, and uses the same quick connects as the CBR injector.

At this point, during the winter I'm gathering parts and information, but come spring I'll begin the installation.
I have quite a bit of experience tuning with TunerStudio, but this will be my first venture into tuning a single cylinder 2-stroke from scratch.

I've been reading every thread there is related to my project, but, are there any tips I should know in advance?

Thanks for viewing, I'm anxious to get started.
rotaryboots
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Microsquirt Honda FL400R Pilot

Post by rotaryboots »

Fuel Pump has been ordered. Ended up going with a completely different unit that another MS forum member suggested to me, which he also uses in his similar setup. This pump also has an integrated fuel pressure regulator and outputs plenty for this 400cc engine. The specs indicate it to also draw fewer amps than the Suzuki or Walboro setup I originally planned on using, which is a huge advantage.

Soon I'll be removing the expansion pipe and having an O2 sensor bung welded to it and a 2 stroke sensor riser to help tune with a wideband. I'll be going with the 14point7.com Spartan 2 OEM wideband module and installing it inside the Microsquirt enclosure with the LSU 4.9 plug under the main harness plug. Should look clean and also stay fairly weatherproof. I've also found my MAP sensor to be internally restricted, so my readings may actually be useful enough to tune Alpha-N style rather than somehow finding the space for a MAF sensor.

I anticipate getting the remaining parts by this time next month.

Cheers