Starting Dramas

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Starting Dramas

Post by woznaldo »

I've been having trouble starting my engine for a little while, so much so I thought I'd bent a vale due to over fuelling and hydraulic lock! Having freshly rebuilt the engine I pulled it from the car and pulled the head off. All was fine.

With everything back together and a new starter motor fitted, yesterday I tried to fire the car up. It spluttered once and then didn't catch at all. I pulled the plugs and they seemed to be very wet. I dropped the cranking pulse width and cleaned the plugs and the engine splutter momentarily before dying. I upped the afterstart enrichment a few time and it improved matters. Finally the engine ran very roughly for about 40 seconds and just died.

I've been following the guides on both DIYAUTOTUNE and the Manuals.

Engine details:
Renault C1J 788
1397cc OHV
7.9:1 Comp Ratio
T2 Garrett Turbo
440cc/min Bosch '968s'
43.5psi (3 Bar) fuel pressure

I've attached my current msq. Can anyone see if I've got any settings that aren't quite right?

Woz
Attachments
180219-R5GTT-Tune .msq
Current Tune
(116.54 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1988 Renault 5 GT Turbo MS2 Extra
1972 Datsun 510 - L18 on Twin Webers
1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Starting Dramas

Post by rickb794 »

Set baro to use initial?
Set include AFR target?

Get rid of the hole in your spark timing table bottom of 1000 rpm column.
Whatever your base timing is with the EDIS that is the minimum timing you can command.
Big jumps in timing in the idle area will not promote a stable idle.
Verify timing is accurate by setting fixed 20° and check with a light, then set back to use table.

WUE is not setup well, most installs have a steep ramp as the temp lowers.
Also ends early it should end 160-170° coolant at 100%
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Thanks for the reply Rick, that gives me a few things to try.

I'm going to go over all the vacuum pipes and manifold connections to check for any possible leaks too.

I'm based in Canberra these days where the local pressure is around 94 kPa. When I'm cranking I'm seeing the MAP drop to 80 kPa, so about 14 kPa of vacuum. Does this sound plausible for an engine with a CR of 7.9:1?
Trying to make my Renault 5 GT Turbo a bit more driveable and a lot more reliable!

1973 Jaguar XJ6 - 4.2 XK on std twin SUs, but plans to squirt in the near future...
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Issues continued to plague me and I was getting massive over-fuelling on Cyl#3. I pulled the injectors and rail off and set them up over a bucket. When I turned the ignition on and got the 2 sec prime pulse, fuel came gushing out of Inj#3!

I will get the injectors cleaned and flow tested and replaced if necessary.

rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Change your OIL!!!!!!

Contaminated with fuel....
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Yep. Already on it. Thanks all the same.

woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

Just wanted to close this one really. Turned out that the #3 injector was stuck open and beyond repair. I also worked out that my Bosch 968s (Green Giants) were in fact fakes! Lesson learned and replacements purchased.

Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hi,
I've just look at your post for the first time and aske myself : why do you use an EDIS while there is already a 'Renix' decoder on Megasquirt 2 ?

EDIS, in my opinion, is really an old thing and I avoid it the most I can. I found weak sparks with this system.

Also, I won't use EGO correction at all with a narrow band sensor.

Regards,
Manu
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
woznaldo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by woznaldo »

The EDIS is left over from when I was running MS1 Extra. It was a simple solution then, but I will change over to the Renix timing setup and make a Cam trigger from the original distributor. This will all be in the future as I'm currently fitting an F4R 2.0 from an RS200.