E30 MS2PNP No Spark

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sert57
MS/Extra Newbie

E30 MS2PNP No Spark

Post by sert57 »

I purchased an MS2PNP Kit (DIYPNPB55-K) and assembled it a few months ago. It worked just fine for a few months with my modified E30 ( 2.9L Stroker engine, but stock wiring / sensors except for wideband 02 and AFM delete). One day I was teaching a friend to drive stick at the car stalled out and wouldn't start again. I was getting rpm signal, and the dash showed the MS giving fuel and it gave a readout for ignition advance. Turns out there was a no-spark condition ( grounded the plug to the frame and got nothing). I put the original motronic back in and it fired up just fine - so the hardware and wiring is still "good".

My initial thought was the BIP373 ignition driver, so i replaced that, but it didn't fix it. Currently, in the car I will get proper voltage at the ignition coil with the ignition on, but I get no significant voltage reading ( via multimeter) from the plug wires. Any help would be appreciated.

Current Tune and a datalog while cranking are provided below.
Attachments
2018-02-23_17.20.24.csv
Datalog while trying to crank
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
2018-02-24_11.08.40.msq
Current Tune on Vehicle
(116.95 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: E30 MS2PNP No Spark

Post by grom_e30 »

do you get sparks when using test mode?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
sert57
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sert57 »

Since I am still running a distributor, is there a good way to check that short of pulling all the plugs? If not I will pull the plugs and check.

In test mode I hooked up a multimeter to my coil outlet and didn't see any change in voltage, but that test may not tell me anything aways.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

You could put a single plug on the coil lead.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
sert57
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sert57 »

Tested with a spark plug directly on the coil lead and grounded to the engine. with settings on "going high" and "going low" there was no spark using the test mode.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

How about a bad coil?
You could remove the coil and see whether you get any change on the output when using test mode. You could probably use a light globe (or maybe a LED) on the output to visually check it.
sert57
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sert57 »

the coil and ignition system works just fine with the stock motronic system
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Ok, so it's got to be either the BIP, or the output itself.
You will need to test them both.
sert57
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sert57 »

Thanks for the help!

Ended up figuring it out. The spark output on the adapter board was bad. I was getting +12V at pin 48 of the microsquirt, which continues onto the main board. Had 0.8V after the resistor and the transducer set it to either 1.6 or 0.8V depending on if test mode was on or off. Got the proper 0.8V at the pin 1 solder joint on the adapter board, but nothing on the ACTUAL wiring harness adapter on the board.

I soldered a jumper wire from the pin 1 solder joint on the adapter board to the pin 1 on the wiring harness adapter itself, and she fired right up. I suppose one of the internal circuit traces went bad somehow.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Nice one.