Adding 2 Injector Drivers to MS2 V3.0

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JaveStack
MS/Extra Newbie

Adding 2 Injector Drivers to MS2 V3.0

Post by JaveStack »

Hello all, I did about ten google searches and couldn't find this info, so forgive me if it is somewhere and I couldn't find it. I am working on setting up my MS2 (V3.0) for sequential injection. I have the write up from jbperf printed out, and it has some great info, but I cannot find a schematic for the existing MS2 injector drivers to copy in the proto area of my board. Does anyone have a schematic?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Adding 2 Injector Drivers to MS2 V3.0

Post by jsmcortina »

Skip Google. Click on the Manuals link above and read the MS2/V30 Hardware Manual.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
JaveStack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JaveStack »

Will do. I've read the manual twice, didn't remember there being a schematic for injector drivers in there. I will open it back up with that specific purpose in mind.

My research while I waited for this post to get approved showed that it isn't possible to easily duplicate the two original drivers (especially not on the proto area) and that it is pretty much required to create four new drivers altogether? If that is the case, I guess my question is what those four new drivers look like?
Last edited by JaveStack on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Don't think there is room to copy the V3 board drivers exactly. They are a pretty sophisticated design which was mainly to cope with driving multiple Lo-Z injectors. If yours are Hi-Z (most are these days) and you are using one driver per injector, a much simpler and smaller design is OK.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
JaveStack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JaveStack »

Yes, they are all high impedance injectors. No need for peak and hold circuits.
Last edited by JaveStack on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaveStack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JaveStack »

DaveEFI wrote:Don't think there is room to copy the V3 board drivers exactly. They are a pretty sophisticated design which was mainly to cope with driving multiple Lo-Z injectors. If yours are Hi-Z (most are these days) and you are using one driver per injector, a much simpler and smaller design is OK.
Would you happen to have a schematic for that simpler design? That would be very useful, and exactly what I am looking for.
JaveStack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JaveStack »

rickb794 wrote:This is what I used http://jbperf.com/quad_ign_inj/index.html
Does this board come with a parts list and assembly instructions? I can see I need four VND5N07's, but what other components are required for just four high impedance injector drivers? (I dont need sequential spark.) I have sent the same question to the jbperf email, but have not yet received a response.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

The board mounts in the cover of the MS and the outputs are heat sinked by the cover.
You don't have to use the DB15, but I prefer it as some of the main board traces don't handle the high current well.

Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
JaveStack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JaveStack »

rickb794 wrote:The board mounts in the cover of the MS and the outputs are heat sinked by the cover.
You don't have to use the DB15, but I prefer it as some of the main board traces don't handle the high current well.
Understood. BUT, does the board come with all the instructions you need to assemble it (parts list, diagrams, etc)? I see that jberf no longer sells the full kit, so I need to make sure I'm not wasting my money on a board I don't have any info on how to put together properly. I'm pretty savvy, and my wife is an electrical engineer, but documentation on how to actually assemble the board itself seems sparse.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Jean is on this forum,

I have not made a purchase from him in some time so I can't answer.
No BOM on his website for the 4 channel board
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

There is no BOM published other than the quick description in the assembly section here: http://www.jbperf.com/quad_ign_inj/index.html. All the resistors locations are sized for 1/8 W resistors. R1-4 are 300R or 1k resistor depending on the IGBT you're using (IGBT are Q1-4). R5-8 are 1k. R9-12 are 100k. R13-16 are 15R. U1 and U2 are TC4427 chip such as these: https://ca.mouser.com/_/?Keyword=TC4427AVOA

As for the injector drivers (Q5-8), the part to use if you need to have the same thing as what is in the Microsquirt or on the MS3X is the VND5N07. However, if they will be the only drivers you use (so no need to match existing ones), you might want to use the VND14NV04 as it should be more robust.

The connector I used for the board is this male one. The loom connector is this female one with this shell.

Since you only want to use the injector drivers, you simply need R5 to R12 and Q5 to Q8 as described above and you simply ignore the other components; the connector is your choice to use or not. As for a preferred or recommended vendors, that is highly dependent on your location.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
JaveStack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JaveStack »

Jean,

Thank you for chiming in! I will message you about my specific needs. I think I am following what you are saying, but I want to make sure I am not surprised. Since you designed this board, I am sure you can answer all my questions.

-Javan
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Anyone know where to get some of these ?..... VND14NV04
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

Obsolete part # no valid referral on DigiKey

the VND5N07-E is still available.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Like so many other electronic components, these have suffered from the global supply shortage. There are some on order at Mouser but won't be available before the end of the year at the earliest. And they will probably be the last batch available since they are listed as being at end of life.

It's too bad because they are significantly better for this application than the VND5N07.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

Jean , can the VND5N07-E be used ?
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

panel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:19 am Jean , can the VND5N07-E be used ?
Yes.
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

rickb794 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:42 am Obsolete part # no valid referral on DigiKey

the VND5N07-E is still available.
Where from ?
MS2 Extra V3.0 board