PMP-LED lights up, no rpm

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

PMP-LED lights up, no rpm

Post by flowbench »

Hi there !
I got my MS2 on a 3.57 board and the stimulator ready to go , tried it on the bench and everything worked fine.
Tried again last week with a new computer, set everything up with hopefully the correct firmware, installed TunerStudio and connected the Stimulator. I had some wired things going on like "firmware doe not match" message, also the needle of some gauges fluctuating like crazy . After some testing it worked. Today I tried again, all the sensor inputs are working but I dont get an rpm signal at all. Only the PMP-Led of the stim lights up for a few seconds the dims out. No other Leds will light at all .
The ECU is setup for an GM HEI- Ignition.
Any thoughts and ideas are very, very welcome ! Thanks Cornelius
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: PMP-LED lights up, no rpm

Post by Matt Cramer »

The fuel pump normally comes on for 2 seconds at key-on to build pressure.

Can you post an MSQ file? I'd like to check your settings.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

Have the ignition and req fuel settings been entered?
87 Turbocoupe 351w swap with a TKO, someday a turbo car again.
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

Hi there, thanks for the replys.
Attached is a log of the cranking attempt and screenshot of my ignition-settings. Again,- everything has worked on the bench with the Stim just perfect. All the settings are complete. After my harddisc-crash I installed everything again and had severe communication-problems with an indicated firmware mismatch warning (see photo). I did all the software- and firmware installations again (I am sure I picked the wrong software from my CD on the first attempt) , had perfect communication with my computer but no rpm and no LED's lighting up anymore on the Stim, except the one for the fuel pump for two seconds.I took a chance and put the ECU in the car, had all the sensors working correctly but again no rpm signal.
I did check the wiring from the ECU to the HEI-module. Everything seems perfect. During "ignition on" and "cranking" I get 12 V at the two pin connector of the HEI-Module on both terminals, which are "+" and "C" . Is that correct on "C" ?
I have seen strange coincidences happen but cannot believe that my Stim went south and at the same time something else with the ecu or the module might have gone bad...
Sorry, I forgot to tell I run MS2extra on a 3.57 board. Ignition is HEI 8 pin.
Thanks for any replys !!!!
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

No rpm signal on HEi

Post by flowbench »

Hello folks !
I started this thread actually on the Megastim-board, but I can verify now, the problem is not the Stim.
So maybe my follow-up post is better published here someone can help me to sort the problem out: I've got a MS2 on a 3.57 board, everything is setup for an HEI 8-pin ignition on a small block Chevy.
I had the setup (Ecu, Computer, tunerstudio and Stimulator) connected on a bench and everything worked perfectly.
Than the harddrive of my computer crashed, got me a new one , installed the MS- software and hooked up every. Now had seroius problems with firmware mismatch, see attached photo, some of the gauges in Tunerstudio were fluctuating like crazy when turning the knob on the Stim and I guess MS was resetting all the time, according to the noise my computer made. Deleted all the software and got the correct ones, but couldnt create an rpm signal through the Stim anymore. Also all the LED's did not light up anymore, except the one for the fuelpump, which lid up for two seconds.Then I took chances and put the ECU in the car. All gauges/sensors seem to be working correctly here but during cranking I don't get an rpm signal.
See attached data log from cranking. I did check all the wiring from the ECU to the HEI-module. Everything seems perfect. During "ignition on" and "cranking" I get 12 V at the two pin connector of the HEI-Module on both terminals, which are "+" and "C" . Is that correct on "C" ?
I have seen strange coincidences happen but cannot believe that my Stim went south and at the same time something else with the ecu or the module might have gone bad...
Could the use of the wrong firmware/software have caused a problem within the ECU ?
I am completely stranded and desperate to get the car running.
Thanks for any replys !!!!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: No rpm signal on HEi

Post by jsmcortina »

The screenshot says that you've tried to configure (EDIT) the obsolete Megatune for a Megasquirt-1 when you've actually got a Megasquirt-2. Use TunerStudio.

Create a new project and use Detect. See the Megasquirt-2 Setting Up manual under the Manuals link above.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

How exactly is the board configured for RPM input?
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

Hi James,- yes it was my stupidity to use a software, firmware and hardware that don't fit together. I got it straightend out and my thought was that this
incident might have "burned" something up inside the ECU...or the Stim... or both...

Matt,- the board was set up and built for the HEI 8 pin,- by Phil Ringwood. He does good work so I assume the setup is correct. Attached is a photo of my ECU, hopefully you can see if all the jumpers are in the right place.I talked to Phil about this and he hasn't got back to me for a week so he might be taking a break/vacation.
I did buy the Stimulator assemblied from DIYautotune. Stimulator and ECU did match and work on the bench before my computer crashed. But maybe theres a mismatch with the real HEI-ignition in my car... I just don't know....

THANKS !!! Cheers cornelius
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you also post a picture of the underside of the board?
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

Here it is...
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Looks correct. Let's test the opto input circuit. With the Megasquirt powered up, apply 12 volts to pin 24 or TachSelect, and check the voltage on the TSEL jumper with a voltmeter. You should read about 5 volts. Next, ground pin 24 so it has no volts on the input circuit, and check TSEL's voltage again. You should see 0 volts there. Let me know what you find.
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

Well, Matt,I got 12 V instead of 5v. This is how I tested ( please excuse, I am not into electronics and still need to find my way through):
hooked up the wiring harness (ECU to Engine) , took off the connector at the HEI - module, turned the ignition on: got zero volts at that solderpoint at "Tachselect",
where the jumper-wire is connected on the board. Than took a wire between the "R"-terminal of the module-connector ( this leads to pin 24, correct ?) and
"plus" on the battery.Now I measure 12 Volts at that tachselect- point. My stupidity somewhere or did I check alright ??
Thanks a lot !
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What point did you use for ground?

Was the MegaSquirt powered up at that time?

Any time I've seen 12 volts measured, there was a problem with the testing.
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

Did it again but tis time connected the "negativ" side of the voltmeter to the engine block at the spot were the groundwires of the ECU connct to.
The "positive" terminal of the voltmeter got connected to the spot that is marked on the attached photo (Tachselect).Is that correct ?
Wired the ECU up, disconnected both (!) connectors at the HEI-module so pin 24 won't see volts or ground, turned igintion "on" and heard the fuel pump turn on for two seconds:
measured 4,21 Volt at Tachselect.
Then send 12 Volts to pin 24 through Wire "R" at the HEI-connector and got 12 V at the measuring point (Tachselect).
Then I connected pin 24 to "ground" at the battery and received no voltage at all but fuel pump turns on again.
Also the "Warmup"_led is on.
Everytime I turn ignition on, all three leds will turn on for a fraction of a second.
THANKS !!!!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

No - I need you to check the voltage at TSEL in the middle of the board. This is on the output side of the opto circuit. TachSelect is on the input side. They're different points with similar names.
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

Ah Matt,- now I got it: ECU powered up, 12 Volts to pin 24= 4,9Volts at "tachselect", pin 24 against ground at battery= 0,1 Volts,
pin 24 disconnected from everything: 4,9 Volts.
Thanks for being so patient with me, Matt, please let me know what to do next...
cheers Cornelius
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Ok, looks like the ECU is OK; you'll need to check the wiring and sensors next.
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

I installed a new HEI-Module with the pickup. No change, no rpm-signal. Checked all the wiring again, I also started a new project on Tunerstudio again, had it detect the firmware and got everything correct exept the missing rpm-signal. Fuel and ignition tables are all loaded. Shouldn't I get some kind of a small voltage "spike" in the ECU when the distributor turns ? Should I see some kind of a signal when the right wire (which one ...?) from the Module is grounded frequently ?
Also, I am not sure on this: I connected "Ground" from the HEI-module (Pin "G") to pin#2 in the ECU, which is linked to ECU-ground, correct ?
Again, thanks for all your inputs !
flowbench
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by flowbench »

Anybody ?
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

I wish I could help. Every time I think I've got a handle on it I realize I don't.
Keep trying have patience. It's a hobby. That's what I tell myself.
Good luck
87 Turbocoupe 351w swap with a TKO, someday a turbo car again.
MS2 3.0 3.4.0