Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ronchinoy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

My path with the stim.

Post by ronchinoy »

When I finished building my stim.
Was a bit lost as to what to do next.

Here is a path I finally wound up taking and it may help somebody.

1. Study your Mega Unit. If its come pre-built understand how and for what its been setup. My 2cents you will be far better equipped if you build your own kit. Its not hard. Get a good soldering iron with a fine tip. Once your sure you have everything understood.
Decide on what firmware your going to run and download it to the Mega. Reloading the firmware is something your going to have to do a lot of times trust me on this best you figure out how now.
Next run megatune and make sure you can connect to the Mega. Go thru the docs and do a basic setup and save the file. Start with getting your tach signal selected and burnt to the mega. So its in a position to recognize your stims tach signal.

2. After you have put together your stim before hooking up your CPU chk that you have 3.3 volts on the CPU socket. Stick a board to the base of the circuit. Metal objects seem to walk under the board. If all checks out then plug your CPU in.
Go out and get yourself a cheap 220 or 110 to 12 V d/c socket. Hook this up to the stim.

3. Next get some ribon cable I got a 20 wire ribon. Start by connecting the +12 Volts and Ground from the Stim to the mega. Power on the stim the Mega should blink one LED at least. I hooked up a 37 pin female socket to the other end of the ribbon. The other end was striped and the ends soldered ready to hook up to the screw in connector on the stim.

Then continue to hook up each of the wires on the ribon to the stim.

Print out the diagram which shows the pin outs on the mega conector.
Then hook up each wire one by one. Tach, CLT, IAT, TPS, O2 etc.
When you have all the wires hooked up power up the stim run mega tune and see if your getting the readings on your tach.
Focus on getting mega to recognise your Tach signal first.
and then make sure the other signals are working.
You will need to run a wire from the mega to the stim to provide 5 volts for the TPS. (I didnt realize that).

Never touch anything on the mega or the stim without first cutting power using the switch on the stim. Dont even try moving things arround.
Ive used the ribbon cable and a 37 pin conector this allows me to jump between units simplly by pulling out a conector.

Before you physically hook up your connector from the stim to the mega. Do a contunity test between each point on the stim and your 37 connector. So that you haven't mixed up any pins.
1.3 Ltr Suzuki 14 PSI Boost.