JimStim no engin rpm signal?

Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

JimStim no engin rpm signal?

Post by hasnfefr »

Hello. I have a v3 MSnS-E with a Jim stim. want to run a distributor to start out. I have found the way to modify the regular stim but not the Jim stim. What do I have to do to get an rpm signal out of this thing? I have everthing else not related to spark. I have the dip switches all set off. I tried the #8 inverted. The mod made says I need to get the signal to pin 25 for hall sensor input. With the regular stim it talks about the r9 and T1 and to cut the trace to T1. I'm not sure which transistor fits that bill on the Jim stim or if I have to do that at all. I'm hoping that this is where my glitch lies. Any help or a place to look? Thank you.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you put the pull up jumper as shown here: http://jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v1_3_ ... .html#tach? I'm not sure which mod you're talking about so you should probably start with the 5V pull up.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hasnfefr »

I tried both pull ups to no avail.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Try to do the test described here: http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=194201#194201. This will tell you if you have a tach signal correctly generated by your JimStim. If the test is ok then the problem is with your MS board.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hasnfefr »

Thank you. I will try that right away.
hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hasnfefr »

The stim checks out fine. Blinking led and all that. I will go into how the ignition is wired. I have TACHSELECT jumperd to OPTOIN
Jumper from +5 pad above proto are to previous jumper. 5v to power hall
Jumper from XG1 to IAC-1A. Input for tach from dizzy.
Jumper TSEL to OPTOOUT
Last, I flashed the ms1 processor with MSns-E so Now I'm MSns-E on V3 board.
Jumper from IGBTIN to the top of R26 with a 330ohm 1/4 watt resistor in line.
That being said, how do I set up the Jim stim? Maybe when I put the MSns-E code on the MS unit it got messed up? How can I check that or should I just reflash it? anything I missed?
hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hasnfefr »

do I need to modify the stim or set it up differently?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The Stim should be fine. What you describe as your modification doesn't make sense to me. Do you have a link to a schematic that shows what you're doing?

If you have something like this http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Ext ... tm#hallV33 then you don't put the pull up on the JimStim. If you have something else then I need a link to schematic.

Jean
hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hasnfefr »

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2545204
This is what I went by. I would like to have the MSns-E run the coil off the distributor. I would like to stay away from using the bosch ignition module. From what I understood I should be able to do that?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This mod would require jumpering the JimStim to disconnect the tach input from pin 24 and bring it in on pin 25.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Then that means you have to remove the jumper one the primary tach pin header. That's the on near the DIP switches on this picture:
[img]http:///jbperf.com/JimStim/JimStim_v1_3_Wheel_Simulator_Setup_files/jim_stim_v1_3_jumpers.JPG[/img]

Then you need to run a wire jumper from the lower of the 2 pins freed from the jumper to the pin marked 25 on the 19-pin header near the middle of the board. This is the 10th pin from the top.

Jean
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I should add that you don't want any pull up jumper with this mod. (The 2 on the left in the picture above)

Jean
hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hasnfefr »

Cool. I tried to jumper staight off the primary to 25 before but still had the pull ups installed. I will try it right away! Thank you.
hasnfefr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hasnfefr »

IT'S ALIVE! Thank you for your help. I am running a stock engine at this point. the guys in that link have been able to post thier set ups for stock engine. I should be able to enter the settings and values to start with and tune with my wide band from there? I'm so excited! You have been such a help and I am forever in you debt. Thank you again.