Jim Stim testing Bosch valve - source power

Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

isac
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Jim Stim testing Bosch valve - source power

Post by isac »

My AC DC adaptor died after testing Bosch valve 280 140 505 on the bench Bosch connected to JimStim and MS1-extra pcb 2.2

It was running fine, but after some minutes (10) get hot and no power comes out.

AC - DC adaptor specs are:
Input 230v~50Hz 12,5W
Output: 1.5 -3 - 4.5 -6 - 7,5 - 9 -12 ==
500mA6VA (max)

I need to buy a new adaptor but what requirements should meet to not burn again? Will a 1A be enough or 2A would be better?

I need to be safe to not burn JimStim and MS components. :?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Jim Stim testing Bosch valve - source power

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I don't know how you are testing the valve but the JimStim is not designed to handle a lot of current. I would not use an adapter that can generate more than 1A. But this might not be enough to drive the valve at the same time as the JimStim and MS.

If you want to test a component that will draw a significant amount of current, you should use a breakout board (such as this) and power the component separately. On the car, the power for the valve will come from a source separate from the ECU. You should do the same when testing on the bench.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
isac
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by isac »

I don't know how you are testing the valve but the JimStim is not designed to handle a lot of current.
I'm using a Glen 3wire board. I connected valve inputs to I1B and I2A, and power to 12V (pin 29) in terminal blocks.

It was running fine... It will be hard to test it on the car
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The JimStim traces should be able to easily handle the 1A that the valve will take and the 12V traces should also easily handle that plus the needed current to power the JimStim and MS. So you could use a 2A power supply and continue with your testing.

However, this is not the preferred way of testing high current devices. You should power them separately and in your case you should run power directly to the valve and use a breakout board as mentioned above.

It should also be noted that the JimStim V1.5 has a polyfuse that will limit the current to protect both the JimStim and the MS when bench testing. So you wouldn't be able to test a high current device as you're doing without the polyfuse cutting the power. The V1.4 and earlier versions do have this polyfuse.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum