Jimstim dual cam outputs? Also megastim repair..

Building and using the Stimulator to test your Megasquirt

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Jimstim dual cam outputs? Also megastim repair..

Post by hassmaschine »

Is there any possibility of getting 2-cam outputs from a Jimstim? i have a 1.4 but with the latest chip. one cam input is an 8-1 and the other is a simple 6 tooth wheel, the crank is a standard 60-2. I believe they're all hall sensors, but the crank could be VR. I thought maybe I could use a second stim for the extra cam input but synching them could be difficult. any ideas? I don't even know if I can do the 8-1 intake cam wheel?

I've also got an older megastim that I'd like to use for other purposes, but I lent it to a friend, and he fried Q1. What component do I need to replace it?

one final question - I want to use a 16v 4.5a PC power supply. I intend to use the Jimstim for testing and reprogramming a factory ECU, which requires 14v minimum. Is 16v OK for power intput on the jimstim?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Jimstim dual cam outputs? Also megastim repair..

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There are only 2 tach outputs on the JimStim and the only way to change that is to write your own program.

And to get an 8-1 cam signal, you'll need to write your own wheel mode. This is possible but you'll need to get the specific FTDI serial cable (or equivalent) to upload the new pattern as shown on the JimStim web pages.

Using 16V should be ok but you'll want to check the voltage regulator temperature. But even that should be fine because if it gets too hot, it will just shut down. The issue could be the 4.5A which is more than what you'd want to go through the JimStim if something gets shorted. Using a lower value fuse (such as 1A) would be a good idea.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

I will be fusing it anyway, per the original ECU wiring diagrams. thanks.

I saw James was working o a dual output mode. Maybe he can help there.

How about repairing Q1 on the original megastim?
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

oh, as a bonus - I realized an OBD2/serial adapter I bought has an FTDI cable built into it. so I've already got that part. :D

it's possible for now I could add the 8-1 mode and leave the exhaust cam blank.. it'll probably just go into a fallback/limp mode. no big deal for my purpose, for now.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

hassmaschine wrote:oh, as a bonus - I realized an OBD2/serial adapter I bought has an FTDI cable built into it. so I've already got that part. :D
Make sure it's a 3.3V version and not 5V. Using a 5V version will fry the CPU. And it also has to be a TTL version not an RS-232.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
hassmaschine wrote:oh, as a bonus - I realized an OBD2/serial adapter I bought has an FTDI cable built into it. so I've already got that part. :D
Make sure it's a 3.3V version and not 5V. Using a 5V version will fry the CPU. And it also has to be a TTL version not an RS-232.

Jean
This is correct, right?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTD ... MdbLgwj41z
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Correct.

Jean